• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout's May 2018 OPS

re: on great players entering their prime years. 

I took a look at Gehrig and Musial. Just curious to see how their careers went after their age-26 season.

Lou Gehrig:

thru age-26 year: 162-game average of 136 Runs, 32 HR, 136 RBI. .333/.436/.620, OPS+ of 174

from age 26-33: Again, 162-game average of 152 Runs, 43 HR, 165 RBI. .350/.457/.657. OPS+ of 190

Stan Musial:

thru age 26 season: 119 Runs, 16 HR, 97 RBI. .341/.420/.541, OPS+ 164

age 27-33: 128 Runs, 34 HR, 121 RBI. .346/.439/.614, OPS+ 181

Willie Mays, on the other hand, was remarkably consistent when  you do these mutli-year comparisons.

His numbers thru his age-26 season and those from ages 27-33 are almost exactly the same.

Ty Cobb, interestingly enough, declined a little from age 27-33. Not much, but there was a decline.

Mickey Mantle also declined, but you can chalk that up to his many injuries. 

You would think that every stadium he visits would be sold out...

You'd think every home game would be too...

I think some people take his greatness for granted - but like Lou said, when you stop and think about it - it's incredible. Time is flying by and he'll be done with baseball before we know it. I want to savor every moment I can.

44 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

Victor Rojas sounded pissed off too that Kinsler didn't hustle down the line.

Yeah I don't get why professional ballplayers cannot hustle for 90 feet. There is at least one person watching who will never see you play again..... and that's the impression you want to leave them. What if Bedrosian had blown that lead in the 9th. If you do not want to hustle for yourself or your pride, or for the obscene amount of money you are being paid.... than hustle for your team.

8 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Yeah I don't get why professional ballplayers cannot hustle for 90 feet. There is at least one person watching who will never see you play again..... and that's the impression you want to leave them. What if Bedrosian had blown that lead in the 9th. If you do not want to hustle for yourself or your pride, or for the obscene amount of money you are being paid.... than hustle for your team.

It increases the chance of injury. I have no problem with guys going 70% on a routine grounder or pop up. It's not Little League, even bad fielders are fielding 98% of routine grounders and 99%+ of pop ups. What's worse for the team, missing out on getting to first once or twice a year or missing 2-3 weeks with a hammy strain?

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

You would think that every stadium he visits would be sold out...

You'd think every home game would be too...

I think some people take his greatness for granted - but like Lou said, when you stop and think about it - it's incredible. Time is flying by and he'll be done with baseball before we know it. I want to savor every moment I can.

Which is why Trout is like the most underrated superstar in all of sports right now. People tries to think Betts is better than Trout but in reality, it's not even close. Trout is way better than anyone in baseball. 

2 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

It increases the chance of injury. I have no problem with guys going 70% on a routine grounder or pop up. It's not Little League, even bad fielders are fielding 98% of routine grounders and 99%+ of pop ups. What's worse for the team, missing out on getting to first once or twice a year or missing 2-3 weeks with a hammy strain?

We're talking Kinsler, right?

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

Yeah that is a good point. I do not know if that is the player taking upon themselves or a team directive because it always seems to be the same players. Pujols I am sure has been told to take it easy..... although I can never tell when he is jogging or sprinting. The 2 biggest things is that sometimes the extra step in hustle makes the difference in a ballgame. And at the end of the year the whole season goes down the drain when you miss out on the playoffs by a game or two. Also if players are constantly in loaf mode...... sometimes it's not easy to turn on the jets when it really matters. 

I especially think when hitting into a DP you should hustle.... especially when Trout is on deck. And maybe players should not be so fragile & stretch and hydrate more? Also by hustling the opposition will be prone into making more errors. Plus we had Bedrosian coming in..... is any 6 run lead really that safe? But yes you made a great point. You are probably right.

11 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

This is just getting weird. On one hand you say Mookie Betts isn't close to Trout (which I agree with), and then you say Votto is very similar to Trout

Trout has played 500 less games than Votto in his career and has a higher WAR

I dont think he said Votto is just like Trout but that Votto and Trout dont get the full appre iation they are owed.  There is not comparison as player between Votto and Trout 

8 hours ago, eaterfan said:

If Trout puts up .3 WAR (baseball ref) this week he will pass 4 Hall of Famers including Willie Stargel, Joe Torre, and Hank Greenberg. He'll pass them when he gets .3 WAR, it could be this week is what I mean.

If he gets to 65.0 wins by the end of the season he'll pass 40 HOFers and some active/recently retired future Hall of Famers. It would require about a 10 win season for him to do it. It's possible.

In 5+ weeks it's already at 3.1 bWAR, and 3.0 fWAR...

Trout's slash line in his career is ridiculous good, too: .571/.640/1.048 for an OPS of 1.688.

So it's possible that he can post an OPS of at least 2.000 combine against the Rockies in this 2 game series that will start tomorrow, although the Rockies do have better pitchers than they did in either 2012 or 2015, when the Angels played at Coors.