• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Harvey DFA'd

He wouldn't take a minor league assignment from the Mets, so you have to wonder if he's insisting on being on the major league roster...which would be a no. But if he was really just pushing for a change of scenery and would take an assignment would definitely be worth a flyer to see if some new voices and getting out of the NY fishbowl would make a difference.

Who wants to give me odds on whether or not he becomes an Angel?  There are 29 other teams, so consider that when giving me your odds.  I just have a gut feeling, plus, I just have a hunch he regrets not signing here int he first place.  

11 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

Well, we do have the most experience with rehabbing pitchers, it could work out if we can get him at a nice price.

Well the price I believe is the prorated portion of league minimum, at least that’s what I think it is for a player under contract that’s been DFA’d.  So it would cost $450k?

3 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

The Astros can get him before the Angels, since we are ahead of them in the standings?

From Wikipedia:

If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference. In the first month of the season, preference is determined using the previous year's standings.

Technically, the Angels and Astros are tied, even though the Angels have a better winning percentage.

30 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'd be fine with it but he has to accept a minor league assignment. No way do you give up a roster spot for him.

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to plug him into the rotation and limit the Barria, Tropeano, Bridwell carousel a bit. 

That said, I think I would rather stick with internal options for now, or if we do need outside help, acquire someone either far more reliable, or acquire another unheralded arm like we did when we got Bridwell, JC, Pena.

He's still in denial - he doesn't have the tools he once had - and never will again.  He has to re-invent himself with what he has left - but to insist on doing it in the majors shows he's not ready, mentally, to do that.  

Like a drunk, he needs to hit bottom.  Get cut, no phone calls, no more sycophants floating his ego - just "Hey, didn't you use to be Matt Harvey?"  

If someone on staff has a rehab plan for him, a la Kazmir, call him up, pitch the plan, and tell him to call back when he's ready to get to go to the minors, and work the plan.  Then forget him.  

avg Fastball velo

2015 - 96.7

2016 - 95.2

2017 - 93.8

2018 - 92.7

I'm all for picking the guy up, but you gotta know what you're getting.   A guy who likely still has talent but is broken for one reason or another.  

Keep in mind he never learned to pitch.  So now that his velo is down he's gonna have to bring a different game.  

It's seems to me he's in self sabotage mode.  It will be interesting to see how much of that he can instantly recover from vs. that which has now become out of his control.