• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Was reading a Mariners message board to see what they thought of their draft so far...  Lots of people talking about how it was smart of Jerry's front office to focus their draft on high floor college players because it will mean an infusion of MLB ready talent.  Say what you will about him, he sells his vision well.

I do not miss those days.

Me either

Dipeutered, MLB's answer to Professor Harold Hill 

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Four college RPs taken between 6-10 one SP -- all of them college seniors so... likely very cheap to sign..    

VERY interested to see who they take first tomorrow.

If I recall, Jerryell Rivera was our 11th rounder last year and he received a very significant signing bonus - money that was saved by the Halos sticking to fairly cheap college relievers on Day Two rounds.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe a future standout reliever in the bunch?

You never know with RPs.  My guess is it's an attempt to flood the system with guys who are already in the role -- they seem content with the SP depth in the system.

Maybe they like something and think with some sequencing and the sort they might become something but I think it's more a move to free up money to possibly spend on guys in rounds 11-15 like Doc alluded to.

Picks 1-5 are all guys with some upside and tools...  the first four picks were all ranked among the top 100.   There is enough to dream on 1-5 to not worry if picks 6-10 turn out to be filler.   

3 minutes ago, fanfromday1 said:

I know that it of no interest to anyone here, but I want to brag just a little. My great-nephew, Alan Strong, a pitcher at UNLV was just drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 10th round of the MLB Draft (300th pick over-all).  Wow! I'm so proud of him.

Congrats!!!

A refresher on last year... 
1. Jordon Adell - HS OF - signed for slot, ~$4.3m
2. Griffin Canning - College RHP - signed for slot, ~$1.5m
3. Jacob Pearson - HS OF - signed above slot, $1m (slot was $650k)
4. John Swanda HS RHP - signed slightly above slot $625k (slot was $463k)
5. Jojo Booker - HS RHP - didn't sign, $347k slot
6. Jonah Todd - College OF - signed under slot, $210k (slot was $262k)
7. Dennis Brady - CC RHP - signed at slot $200k
8. Connor Riley - College RHP - signed far under slot $10k (slot was $164k)
9. Brett Hanewich - College RHP - signed far under slot $10k (slot was $144k)
10. Daniel Procopio - College RHP - signed far under slot $10k (slot was $135k)
11. Jerryell Rivera - HS LHP - signed at $450k (no assigned slot value)
12. Keith Rogalla - College RHP - signed at $150k (no assigned slot value
13. Kevin Williams - College OF - signed at $125k (no assigned slot value)
14. Sam Fuller - College RHP - signed at $125k (no assigned slot value)
15. Hunter Brittain - HS C - did not sign (best buds with 5th rd'er Booker)

And the year before...
1. Matt Thaiss - College C - signed below slot at ~$2.2m (slot was ~$2.7m)
2. Brandon Marsh - HS OF - signed at slot, $1.7m
3. Nonie Williams - HS SS - signed above slot at $950k (slot was $620k)
4. Chris Rodriguez - HS RHP - signed above slot at $850k (slot was $464k)
5. Connor Justus - College SS - signed under slot at $250k (slot was $348k)
6. Cole Duensing - HS RHP - signed over slot at $501k (slot was $260k)
7. Jordan Zimmerman - College 2B - signed under slot at $175k (slot $195k)
8. Troy Montgomery - College OF - signed under slot at $150k (slot $177k)
9. Michael Barash - College C - signed far under slot at $20k (slot was $165k)
10. Andrew Vinson - College RHP - signed far under slot at $10k (slot was $157k)
11. Brennon Lund - College OF - signed for $100k (no assigned slot value)
12. Bo Tucker - College LHP - signed for $100k (no assigned slot value)
13. Anthony Molina - HS RHP - did not sign
14. Francisco Del Valle - HS OF - signed for $100k (no assigned slot value)
15. Mike Kaelin - College RHP - signed for $150k (no assigned slot value)

While the 2016 draft was quite different in terms of what type of player was selected, there's a lot of parallel I'm seeing in the strategy behind the signability of these picks in both prior drafts and this year's first 10 rounds. The '17 draft looks especially similar with all of the college pitchers really resembling who we saw taken today. 

I have a feeling whomever they take at #11 tomorrow will be a fairly legit prospect - at least as much as an 11th rounder can be - plus a couple interesting folks #12-#15. I'll guess William English is going to be akin to this year's Swanda/Pearson/Williams/CRod, and wind up costing a few hundred thou over slot, with Bradish and Hernandez possibly needing a bit of a bump. Can see Jeremiah Jackson costing a good bit above slot too.

Overall, looks like a really solid draft and plan in place to blend upside, signability, and safety.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

pitched for the Valley Blue Sox of the New England Collegiate League over the summer (wood bats I think) where he was almost literally unhittable.  0.00 era over 19.1 ip with 38k, 6h and 4bb.  Had a 1.82 era there in 24.2ip with 29k the year prior.  

is 38k in 19.1 IP good? 

holy crap 

46 minutes ago, totdprods said:

A refresher on last year... 
1. Jordon Adell - HS OF - signed for slot, ~$4.3m
2. Griffin Canning - College RHP - signed for slot, ~$1.5m
3. Jacob Pearson - HS OF - signed above slot, $1m (slot was $650k)
4. John Swanda HS RHP - signed slightly above slot $625k (slot was $463k)
5. Jojo Booker - HS RHP - didn't sign, $347k slot
6. Jonah Todd - College OF - signed under slot, $210k (slot was $262k)
7. Dennis Brady - CC RHP - signed at slot $200k
8. Connor Riley - College RHP - signed far under slot $10k (slot was $164k)
9. Brett Hanewich - College RHP - signed far under slot $10k (slot was $144k)
10. Daniel Procopio - College RHP - signed far under slot $10k (slot was $135k)
11. Jerryell Rivera - HS LHP - signed at $450k (no assigned slot value)
12. Keith Rogalla - College RHP - signed at $150k (no assigned slot value
13. Kevin Williams - College OF - signed at $125k (no assigned slot value)
14. Sam Fuller - College RHP - signed at $125k (no assigned slot value)
15. Hunter Brittain - HS C - did not sign (best buds with 5th rd'er Booker)

And the year before...
1. Matt Thaiss - College C - signed below slot at ~$2.2m (slot was ~$2.7m)
2. Brandon Marsh - HS OF - signed at slot, $1.7m
3. Nonie Williams - HS SS - signed above slot at $950k (slot was $620k)
4. Chris Rodriguez - HS RHP - signed above slot at $850k (slot was $464k)
5. Connor Justus - College SS - signed under slot at $250k (slot was $348k)
6. Cole Duensing - HS RHP - signed over slot at $501k (slot was $260k)
7. Jordan Zimmerman - College 2B - signed under slot at $175k (slot $195k)
8. Troy Montgomery - College OF - signed under slot at $150k (slot $177k)
9. Michael Barash - College C - signed far under slot at $20k (slot was $165k)
10. Andrew Vinson - College RHP - signed far under slot at $10k (slot was $157k)
11. Brennon Lund - College OF - signed for $100k (no assigned slot value)
12. Bo Tucker - College LHP - signed for $100k (no assigned slot value)
13. Anthony Molina - HS RHP - did not sign
14. Francisco Del Valle - HS OF - signed for $100k (no assigned slot value)
15. Mike Kaelin - College RHP - signed for $150k (no assigned slot value)

While the 2016 draft was quite different in terms of what type of player was selected, there's a lot of parallel I'm seeing in the strategy behind the signability of these picks in both prior drafts and this year's first 10 rounds. The '17 draft looks especially similar with all of the college pitchers really resembling who we saw taken today. 

I have a feeling whomever they take at #11 tomorrow will be a fairly legit prospect - at least as much as an 11th rounder can be - plus a couple interesting folks #12-#15. I'll guess William English is going to be akin to this year's Swanda/Pearson/Williams/CRod, and wind up costing a few hundred thou over slot, with Bradish and Hernandez possibly needing a bit of a bump. Can see Jeremiah Jackson costing a good bit above slot too.

Overall, looks like a really solid draft and plan in place to blend upside, signability, and safety.

day 1 and 2 from this year update 

1 17 37 108.svg Adams, Jordyn Green Hope HS (NC) OF R/R HS SR   6' 2 180lbs DOB: 10/18/99 $3.5M

2 57 57 108.svg Jackson, Jeremiah St. Luke's Episcopal School (AL) SS R/R HS SR   6' 0 165lbs DOB: 03/26/00 $1.2M

3 93 79 108.svg Hernandez, Aaron Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (TX) RHP R/R 4YR JR   6' 1 170lbs DOB: 12/02/96 $604.1K

4 121 89 108.svg Bradish, Kyle New Mexico State (NM) RHP R/R 4YR JR   6' 4 190lbs DOB: 09/12/96 $455.7K

5 151 -- 108.svg English, William Western International HS (MI) P R/R HS SR   6' 2 185lbs DOB: 12/22/00 $340.3K  
6 181 -- 108.svg Warren, Austin UNC Wilmington RHR R/R 4YR SR -- 6' 0 170lbs DOB: 05/05/96 $260.1K  
7 211 -- 108.svg Wantz, Andrew UNC Greensboro RHR R/R 4YR SR -- 6' 4 235lbs DOB: 10/13/95 $203.5K  
8 241 -- 108.svg Smith, Tyler Canisius Col RHR R/R 4YR SR -- 6' 0 230lbs DOB: 11/20/95 $164.7K  
9 271 -- 108.svg Lee, Jake Oakland U RHS R/R 4YR 5S -- 6' 4 215lbs DOB: 06/30/95 $147.5K  
10 301 -- 108.svg Morrison, Ben Western Kentucky U RHR L/R 4YR SR -- 5' 11 185lbs DOB: 01/20/95 $139.1K

wasn't a fan of 2-6 last year.  

Canning has obviously been incredible.  
Wasn't worried about losing Pearson to get money for Shohei.  
Wait and see on Swanda 
A shame we didn't sign Booker.  Took a flier but not a big deal
Didn't like the Todd pick.  

Really like the 2-6 from 2016

Marsh is gonna be a stud
Early returns aren't good for Nonie but lots of time.  Really liked the pick.
Chris Rodriguez will be good.  Needs to get healthy
Connor Justus was my least favorite pick of that bunch.  Has been pretty terrible.
Liked the Duensing pick.  Got pounded in Orem after a really strong AZL debut in 2016.  

this year 1-5

Like the Adams pick but would have taken Gorman instead.  
Like the Jackson pick a lot. 
Hernandez pick was solid.  22yo with a fair amount of projection means he's gonna be 24/25 before he breaks out but that's not a huge deal
Like the Bradish pick.  
Really like English.  Probably my second favorite pick outside of Jackson.  

this year 6-10

like Wantz the best but don't know much about these guys.  Seems like they're all pretty similar.  High k rate.  Similar to last year.  Hope we get at least on nice reliever out of that pack.   Senior signs here about 1 mil worth of slot that they can save.  

Of all the picks, something about Kyle Bradish gets me excited.  Was watching an interview and in his off time, he reads books on baseball.  He’s seem to live and breathe baseball.   I am not a scout and have no idea how he projects, but I think he will be a nice pitcher for the Halos.  

On 6/4/2018 at 4:05 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Scott looks like another Kaleb Cowart type. Could be a good pitcher, or hitter, but neither is a sure thing. Some have him going as a supplemental 1st rounder.

I'd rather go for a sure thing. 

The one thing you get in Edwards if drafted is a dynamic leadoff guy in the mold of Kenny Lofton. 

BA nailed that pick, must've bugged the Marlins room,  damn it!

3 hours ago, jordan said:

Of all the picks, something about Kyle Bradish gets me excited.  Was watching an interview and in his off time, he reads books on baseball.  He’s seem to live and breathe baseball.   I am not a scout and have no idea how he projects, but I think he will be a nice pitcher for the Halos.  

outside of too many walks, he was dominant in a tough league for pitchers.  101ip, 72h, 55bb, 140k.  2.67 era.  

wood bat cape cod league 2.57 era with 28k in 21 ip.  

Only the 3rd college arm Eppler has taken in the first 5 rounds over three drafts.  Canning is one and the pick before Bradish in Aaron Hernandez is the other.  Straight over the top delivery.  Has some upside in that his slider as a potential third pitch could end up plus to go along with a deceptive fastball and 12-6 curve.  Even though he's probably the most 'safe' of the halos first few picks, he's still not a finished product.  

Hernandez, even though a college guy, is much more of a project but with a lot to dream on.  Potential of 4 plus pitches.