• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

outside of too many walks, he was dominant in a tough league for pitchers.  101ip, 72h, 55bb, 140k.  2.67 era.  

wood bat cape cod league 2.57 era with 28k in 21 ip.  

Only the 3rd college arm Eppler has taken in the first 5 rounds over three drafts.  Canning is one and the pick before Bradish in Aaron Hernandez is the other.  Straight over the top delivery.  Has some upside in that his slider as a potential third pitch could end up plus to go along with a deceptive fastball and 12-6 curve.  Even though he's probably the most 'safe' of the halos first few picks, he's still not a finished product.  

Hernandez, even though a college guy, is much more of a project but with a lot to dream on.  Potential of 4 plus pitches.  

So pitching wise, are you happy with the draft?

Ive dreamed of us finally getting back to rolling out good position players, like we did in the 90s and most of the 2000s. But with all the bad luck weve had pitching wise, im hoping weve done well the last two drafts. Outside of richards, who have we drafted the last several years who made it as a pitcher? Skaggs and Corbin?

12 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ive dreamed of us finally getting back to rolling out good position players, like we did in the 90s and most of the 2000s. But with all the bad luck weve had pitching wise, im hoping weve done well the last two drafts. Outside of richards, who have we drafted the last several years who made it as a pitcher? Skaggs and Corbin?

Clevinger

26 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As far as impact players go, Newcomb (2014), Clevinger (2011), and then Skaggs, Corbin and Richards (2009). There have been a few decent relievers scattered throughout.

Here's a blast from the recent past: Ricardo Sanchez. He was a live arm traded to the Braves for Kyle Kubitza a few years ago, in a very Dipoto-ish move. Kubitza flopped.

Sanchez hasn't really panned out, but is still young. He's 21 and in AA but has a 10.80 ERA in 2 starts. The last couple years he struckout about a batter per inning, but walked half that many, with an ERA around 5.00 and no sign of improvement. 

16 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If anyone ever has a chance to ask Eppler or anyone on the halos, I would be interested to know if they are actively negotiating or have pre-arranged slot money for these guys as the draft is evolving.  And whether it affects who they take next.  For instance, if they know how much money they've essentially already spent to this point or damn close so they would take a couple of higher upside HS or college SO/Jrs instead of a senior sign.   

I am sure they have an idea, if not deals already, on what it takes to sign most of the top 10. 

8 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

More pitching in the 11th round. Tall right hander out of HS, throws a sinker, curve, and changeup. 

More on Connor Van Scoyoc...
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/baseball/2018/06/03/mlb-draft-connor-van-scoyoc-jim-van-scoyoc-spencer-van-scoyoc-arizona-state-baseball/666342002/

"Van Scoyoc went 5-0 with a 0.96 ERA and 44 strikeouts in 44.2 innings last season. He’s committed to playing with his brother at Arizona State next season. But should a team take him in the right round or offer him the right amount of money, Connor could forgo the remainder of his high school season and sign.

“The way I kind of see it, I have Arizona State as a backup plan that if I don’t get drafted high enough or I don’t get offered enough money, then I have the ability to go to Arizona State and play ball for three years at least,” Connor said."

This is the same round that the Angels picked HS LHP Jerryell Rivera last year, and they threw $450k his way - significant for an 11th rounder. Angels likely following a similar plan this year, given whom they drafted rounds #3-10.

14 hours ago, jordan said:

Of all the picks, something about Kyle Bradish gets me excited.  Was watching an interview and in his off time, he reads books on baseball.  He’s seem to live and breathe baseball.   I am not a scout and have no idea how he projects, but I think he will be a nice pitcher for the Halos.  

I always pick up on stuff like that too.  Like you, I'm not a scout either - but I find things about players that pique my interest about them.

15 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Did I read the correctly, that Adams (and I guess every HS kid) doesnt graduate until next week?

Thats crazy. Lol...kid is richer than all of us, probably still gets lunch money.

. . . and pus*y, unlike most of the members here (judging by the personalities)