• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I know drafts have little bearing on the shape of the big-league club, but drafting these senior relievers with big K/9s makes me think Eppler will continue to build a pen either from within or through frugal, low-cost acquisitions.

There's just not much of anything to suggest he's going to spend big on Kimbrel in FA or trade anyone of significant value for Kelvin Herrera.

the last two picks were as much about saving slot money.  I bet they sign for very little.  

14 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So for those in the know, how have we done so far? Everyone feeling good about we got? No WTF picks this time? I know the first round guy is debateable, with who was available, but I think thats the case no matter who you take.

I’d also be interested in overall impressions. 

26 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So for those in the know, how have we done so far? Everyone feeling good about we got? No WTF picks this time? I know the first round guy is debateable, with who was available, but I think thats the case no matter who you take.

it would be nice if there was an updated list of our draft picks after each selection for those that have other responsibilities 

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Maybe the Angels are going to draft someone who's fallen dramatically in the 10th round or something, and try to sign the guys from 3-9 for cheap to leave some room for a bigger bonus?  Or maybe they're just going with a very safe, low-downside draft...Not sure which.

they've done this with picks 7-10 the last two years.  

in 2016 it was Zimmerman, Montgomery, Barash and Vinson

in 2017 it was Denny Brady, Connor Riley, Brett Hanewich and Daniel Procopio.  

It's to keep their money available for the first 6 picks.   

They'll draft a high upside guy in the 11th-15th again.  

actually make that 6-10 last year as Jonah Todd was low ceiling as well.  

as an aside, Procopio was great in relief at Orem last year with a 2.49 era (really good for that league) and 32k in 21.2ip.  This year at A+ IE, he went 20ip, 11h, 5er, 12bb, and 33k for a 2.25 era.  All in relief.  He got shelled in his 3rd AA outing after getting moved up where he gave up 4 earned (yesterday).  

Hanewich has pitched decently for Burlington as well.  3.76 era with 23k in 26.1ip.  Lots of bb though at 5.1 per 9.