• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RHP Justin Anderson for his major league debut

Pretty awesome debut, but more than that, very promising for our pen.  I know we have questioned whether our pen can hold up, but Justin Anderson has the stuff to be a set-up man for us without question.  Holding the heart of the Astros order down in his very first game was amazing to see.  If he can maintain the form we just saw, then we could have a dynamic of Johnson/Alvarez (6th/7th depending on LH/RH), Anderson (8th), Middleton (9th).  

Moreover, give credit to Scoscia for tossing him into that situation.  Again, I feel Sosh has changed his ways and is progressing with the times.  Previously, I imagine Anderson would just be pitching in mop-up situations to get his feet wet, etc.  Not now, though ;)

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Pretty awesome debut, but more than that, very promising for our pen.  I know we have questioned whether our pen can hold up, but Justin Anderson has the stuff to be a set-up man for us without question.  Holding the heart of the Astros order down in his very first game was amazing to see.  If he can maintain the form we just saw, then we could have a dynamic of Johnson/Alvarez (6th/7th depending on LH/RH), Anderson (8th), Middleton (9th).  

Moreover, give credit to Scoscia for tossing him into that situation.  Again, I feel Sosh has changed his ways and is progressing with the times.  Previously, I imagine Anderson would just be pitching in mop-up situations to get his feet wet, etc.  Not now, though ;)

How did he change his ways.  Didn't he thrust KROD right into the fire during a Pennant and WS run?

Didn't he move Hunter to RF and start Bourjos right away?

Didn't immediately start Trout?

I keep saying this.  There are plenty of examples where Scioscia trusted Rookies and benched Vets.  However, you guys constantly stay focused where he stayed with vets too long at the cost of the rookies.  Just maybe those rookies weren't good enough to have Scioscia's confidence to throw right into the fire.

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I also think bringing Anderson in after a soft tosser would always be a plus. Same with Middleton.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Now, if Anderson is indeed the real thing, that puts less pressure in Bedrock Jr. and allows him to find out what has caused him to struggle so far.   Dominos isn’t just a table game.

Good luck to him in finding talent.

and balls.

28 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Giving up 2 hits to 5 batters wasn't that impressive,  did you forget about Richards debut. 

Angels' Garrett Richards gets harsh welcome from Yankees

Curtis Granderson homers twice against the rookie and N.Y. wins, 9-3. But Manager Mike Scioscia says, 'You see the talent.'

August 10, 2011|By Bill Shaikin
    •  
    •  

Email

•  

Reporting from New York — Garrett Richards was 12 pitches into his major league debut, with none out and the Angels' pitching coach heading to the mound. Richards had walked the first two batters, and Curtis Granderson was coming up.

The 13th pitch was a wild pitch. Granderson hit the 14th pitch for a home run. Welcome to the big leagues, kid.

"I didn't have butterflies or anything before the game," Richards said. "When you step on the mound, everything hits you at once."

The New York Yankees hit him, and hard. They tagged him for six hits — five for extra bases — and six runs in five innings, handing Richards his first major league loss in a 9-3 rout of the Angels. Granderson batted three times against Richards, hitting two home runs.

The results were pretty good to me, considering he came in and faced one of the top offenses in baseball in a close game.  But again, it was the pitches we saw that has me stoked.  The movement on that slider is nuts, and combined with a 98-99mph fastball, that’s a devastating combo.

33 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Giving up 2 hits to 5 batters wasn't that impressive,  did you forget about Richards debut. 

Angels' Garrett Richards gets harsh welcome from Yankees

Curtis Granderson homers twice against the rookie and N.Y. wins, 9-3. But Manager Mike Scioscia says, 'You see the talent.'

August 10, 2011|By Bill Shaikin
    •  
    •  

Email

•  

Reporting from New York — Garrett Richards was 12 pitches into his major league debut, with none out and the Angels' pitching coach heading to the mound. Richards had walked the first two batters, and Curtis Granderson was coming up.

The 13th pitch was a wild pitch. Granderson hit the 14th pitch for a home run. Welcome to the big leagues, kid.

"I didn't have butterflies or anything before the game," Richards said. "When you step on the mound, everything hits you at once."

The New York Yankees hit him, and hard. They tagged him for six hits — five for extra bases — and six runs in five innings, handing Richards his first major league loss in a 9-3 rout of the Angels. Granderson batted three times against Richards, hitting two home runs.

If you are comparing him to Richards I will take it!

12 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

Remember that lefty bullpen arm that AO was going nuts over?  Might have been Mahle.  Well AO gets pissed he wasn’t being called up.  Comes up has a couple good games, then is exposed for how bad he was.  

Buddy Boshers.....   

Edited by Inside Pitch

9 hours ago, Warfarin said:

You mean the same Mike Scioscia that took K-Rod and inserted him into any and every situation in 2002?  The same Mike Scioscia that took Jordan Walden and had him Fernando Rodney as the closer after three games in 2011?   There are many other examples..  I'm choosing those guys because they are all pretty well evenly spread.   But be it Mike Fyhrie, Goggles, Donnelley...   Jeppy..  He's never been shy to throw guys into the fire out of the pen.

It's the same Mike Scioscia..    It's the narratives that seemingly change.

Edited by Inside Pitch

9 hours ago, Warfarin said:

If he throws strikes more consistently than Middleton, I hope their roles get reversed. I hate seeing lots of three ball counts from closers. Too soon now, though.

I hope he's here to stay and not on a Southwest flight to SLC every week.