• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

C.J. Cron to the Tampa Bay Rays

John Smith

My guess is we get one of the AA or AAA relievers with the Rays that projects as a middle reliever in a year or two.

Basically an Adam Hofacket type.

As for this paving the way for another move, doubtful. The team is pretty much set. I think the final bench spot will be up for grabs between Cowart and Marte, unless a better option presents itself.

Marte has power, plays 1B, 3B and LF, and Cowart can play the corner infields and 2B. Probably corner OF too, though not much of a bat...yet. Maybe in the future but not right now.

13 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This move probably paves the way for Cowart to open with the team.  His ability to play 2B/3B will add more depth for us, and also give us the possibility of another LH in the lineup on various days.

Moreover, it enables us to stay strong defensively.  Having Valbuena cover 3B on off days for Cozart was going to be suboptimal defensively.  Now, with Cowart backing him up, we can ensure we can roll out a strong defensive configuration pretty much every single day.

This makes sense.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Does make it easier for Cowart, Walsh, Fernandez, and even Marte to make the team too.

But honestly given the amount of FAs left and the money we have to play with, I think we'll see someone brought in still.

Padres told Chase Headley there's a good chance he gets traded still...

I didn't even think of Fernandez! Good point. He could impress in Spring and earn a spot.

Yea I’m not thrilled about this.  I liked Cron and I really don’t think he ever got a real shot with us. We’ve run guys out who preformed far below Cron for longer periods that Cron ever got.  This is the first time that having Pujols around has cost the Angels something.  What’s shitty is it definitely won’t be the last.  This part of the Pujols contract is going to suck.

3 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

This is a trade that will come back to haunt the Angels. Cron has potential to put up good numbers, like he did in 2016. With regular playing time and now playing a lot of games in a division that is loaded with hitters park, he might put up solid numbers like he did in 2016.

There were also plenty of times where we gave him regular playing time and he was awful.

8 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I didn't even think of Fernandez! Good point. He could impress in Spring and earn a spot.

Yeah I can see him having a good shot. Only thing with him, and Walsh, is we also don't risk losing them if they stay off the 40 and in SLC until needed so we don't need to break camp with them just because they fit a need on paper. And because of that, I can see us pursuing another MLB-level FA/trade.

We will probably need to move Perez in a similar deal to this one too. Guys like Brad Miller and Chase Headley could still get dumped by end of ST and head this way for one of our out option guys. Not a pretty trade, but functional.

2 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

The obvious hole right now is a someone who can handle 1B and left handed pitching when Pujols is DH. Maybe play corner OF too

For now, I suppose that's Marte.  Not exciting in the slightest, but he can at least play both 1B/3B, and does appear to hit LHP a bit better than RHP.  But yeah, not an ideal option overall.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

For now, I suppose that's Marte.  Not exciting in the slightest, but he can at least play both 1B/3B, and does appear to hit LHP a bit better than RHP.  But yeah, not an ideal option overall.

Could be Fernandez. He can reasonably handle 1B, 2B and 3B, though not "plus" defensively as Eppler prefers. Scouting reports suggests a move to the corner OF could ultimately end up happening.

I think this move was inevitable.

I know everyone here will hate to hear it, but Cron and Valbuena are roughly the same offensive player. Valbuena has more position versatility. Even if you believe LV is slightly worse offensively, the positional versatility has value. They aren't going to cut Pujols with that contract and they aren't going to use 3 roster spots on 1B/DH when you have another guy who is going to get PAs at DH as well. 

I think the roster spot will be better used by upgrading a back up at another position. 

OPS+ the last 4 years:

LV: 115, 106, 125, 95

CC: 111, 106, 116, 99