• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

C.J. Cron to the Tampa Bay Rays

John Smith

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Let me know when you buy ten years worth of eggs. 

That's funny.  Probably the same time I will consider a 10 year deal for a 32 year old!

I think the only way Pujols can improve his legacy at this point in his career is to be a statesman, consummate team player putting his own play time behind the teams needs.  Be a critical part of a leadership, mentoring story to a team to goes deep into the postseason. . . 

That, or just go back to hitting .315 with 40 homers.

• 8 months later...
On 2/17/2018 at 5:56 PM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Watch him hit 30 HR, and 85 RBI, .820 OPS getting to play everyday.

C.J. Cron TBR  .253/.323/.493/.816 - 30 HR - 74 RBI

Pretty F*ing close... nailed it.

(I know why he was traded, so no need to explain)

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

Cron was a heck of a lot better than Pujols and Valbuena, that's for darn sure. Should have just cut Valbuena. 

Having said that, I don't think anyone named Luis Rengifo as the PTBNL, and I don't think anyone foresaw this jump in production either.

Good trade for both teams, but probably not on purpose. 

33 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

it's funny but there was an article the other day that said the rays will be looking for hitting because they don't feel like Cron is truly dangerous enough.  

Good chance he'll be traded or, more likely, non-tendered.....they have a replacement ready....

26 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Having said that, I don't think anyone named Luis Rengifo as the PTBNL

Eppler's staff really did their homework on Rengifo. I read a couple articles after the trade about Luis and how he was perceived by the club. Not the Angels but the Mariners and how they felt he hadn't come near his potential.

He tore up the Dominican Summer league at 18 then had injuries that slowed his growth in  Arizona rookie ball the following year. A year later the usual player shock adapting to A ball as a non English speaker in the mid West took a toll on his hitting. 

Then Dipoto packages him away to the Ray's that don't seem to seem to see a future for the kid and he finds himself on his third team in a year with the Angels.

And that is where his story changes. Maybe it's the organization and how it is integrating their Latin players or being in the IE with plenty of bi-linguals to talk to, Luis suddenly becomes an even better version of the Dominican league player. 

He is one of those guys that started out hot then hits a bump a becomes the PTBNL. Our gain, for sure but part of this you can thank Dipoto for being deaf to minor league talent and uses them as grinder beef. 

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Eppler's staff really did their homework on Rengifo. I read a couple articles after the trade about Luis and how he was perceived by the club. Not the Angels but the Mariners and how they felt he hadn't come near his potential.

He tore up the Dominican Summer league at 18 then had injuries that slowed his growth in  Arizona rookie ball the following year. A year later the usual player shock adapting to A ball as a non English speaker in the mid West took a toll on his hitting. 

Then Dipoto packages him away to the Ray's that don't seem to seem to see a future for the kid and he finds himself on his third team in a year with the Angels.

And that is where his story changes. Maybe it's the organization and how it is integrating their Latin players or being in the IE with plenty of bi-linguals to talk to, Luis suddenly becomes an even better version of the Dominican league player. 

He is one of those guys that started out hot then hits a bump a becomes the PTBNL. Our gain, for sure but part of this you can thank Dipoto for being deaf to minor league talent and uses them as grinder beef. 

His story really makes sense when you look at it.  I'm just not sure the Marienrs knew what they had in the first, and I think the Rays were disappointed and didn't view him as anything of value anymore.  I do think that Eppler and company thought a bounceback was in order, so good for them.  But I doubt anyone in the Angels organization saw this big of a jump.  I mean he went from 21 year old depth fodder in A Ball to 21 year old on the brink of breaking into the majors and claiming a starting position.  Just an absolutely enormous jump. 

here's the thing about Rengifo that really stands out:

bb/k
2016 - 13/31
2017 - 41/97
2018 - 75/75

To me that feels like one pitch.  A pitch that was consistently getting him out in previous years where he was finally able to make an adjustment in 2018.  Like he did something to give himself a fraction of a second more to recognize a breaking ball.  Or maybe he got his eyes checked or something.  

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

His story really makes sense when you look at it.  I'm just not sure the Marienrs knew what they had in the first, and I think the Rays were disappointed and didn't view him as anything of value anymore.  I do think that Eppler and company thought a bounceback was in order, so good for them.  But I doubt anyone in the Angels organization saw this big of a jump.  I mean he went from 21 year old depth fodder in A Ball to 21 year old on the brink of breaking into the majors and claiming a starting position.  Just an absolutely enormous jump. 

Dipoto personally scouted him..  Said "he's no Baldoquin" and that's all she wrote....

11 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

C.J. Cron TBR  .253/.323/.493/.816 - 30 HR - 74 RBI

Pretty F*ing close... nailed it.

(I know why he was traded, so no need to explain)

That's awesome guessing/foresight to come within .004 on OPS when it's his career high.  According to Rotogrinders park factors, Cron went from a top 3rd ballpark for RH power hitters to the bottom 3rd in Tropicana field and still has a power iso of .240; Legit power; 123 OPS+.  Had he stayed with the Angels, he probably would've had a few more HRs but of course he wouldn't have received the playing time.  Liked him on the Angels, but of course the Front Office doesn't have the guts to release Pujols and keep Cron, but I like the trade for both sides.  Hopefully Rengifo is legit.