• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels’ Infield Plans

John Smith

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I still only believe that if it’s Santana.  I think Cron’s Upside offensive and defensively is greater than Valbuena’s.  

But notes on that subject. . .

In terms of OPS--

5 of the top 7 first baseman in the AL are either free agents or potential available in a trade.

Only 3 of the top 10 thirdbasemen in the AL are free agents or potentially available in a trade.

Seems to me that the Angels have a much easier and realistic path to a significant improvement at first than at third.

Cron may have better numbers than Valbuena in 2018 but they play different positions and I am not measuring them against each other but against other players at their respective positions.

Between the two spots, the best opportunity to improve the lineup overall is at first.

Follow up:

Again in OPS, for as "terrible" as Valbuena was last year he still delivered 85% of the OPS of the #5 ranked 3B in the AL.

Cron almost identically delivered 85% of the #5 ranked 1B in the AL.

For me personally I think Cron is showing about who he really is and Valbuena can do better.

I don't think Valbuena could do worse and I think Cron could do worse.  But again that's all opinion.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Huh.  Didn't even think of that.

Nevermind on anything else at all to help the roster.  One move only.  2B.

You guys can't seem to find second base with a map the way every conversation revolved around two positions that have coverage. Sure, it's not the best it could be but I think you just have no solution for second base and gravitate to the other two infield spots because of the amount of free agent choices. It a simpler conversation but the Angels are not getting any better ignoring the hard to find solutions.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

If we land Morrison it looks like Cron will stick around. I don't think that's a bad platoon. Between the both of them, they could hit 40 HR.

Still, my preference is Carlos Santana.

Neither Morrison nor Cron has ever hit 40 HR in a season. How do you take away ABs from each of them (platoon) and get a greater total?

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

But notes on that subject. . .

In terms of OPS--

5 of the top 7 first baseman in the AL are either free agents or potential available in a trade.

Only 3 of the top 10 thirdbasemen in the AL are free agents or potentially available in a trade.

Seems to me that the Angels have a much easier and realistic path to a significant improvement at first than at third.

Cron may have better numbers than Valbuena in 2018 but they play different positions and I am not measuring them against each other but against other players at their respective positions.

Between the two spots, the best opportunity to improve the lineup overall is at first.

This is a fantastic point with regards to the basic laws of supply and demand.  That said though, I think the demand for 1B is a bit higher this offseason than it is for 3B.  Asides from the Angels, what other team is actively hunting for a third basemen this offseason?

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

By the way, I still think we sign Mous to a much smaller than expected contract. 

I agree that this is definitely a possibility.  Eppler's a smart guy, and I can't envision him giving anything longer than 4 year deal.  If we signed Moose to a 4/60 contract, then to get commensurate value from the deal, he'd need to put up a WAR of roughly around 2 per season (assuming around 8 mil per WAR).  I think this is a fairly reasonable expectation for Moose and feel he could, most likely, generate a return close to that.  Likewise, if we target LoMo instead (with a projected 2/25 price tag), then we'd be asking him to generate roughly 1.5 WAR per season, which is probably a reasonable target for him as well.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

You guys can't seem to find second base with a map the way every conversation revolved around two positions that have coverage. Sure, it's not the best it could be but I think you just have no solution for second base and gravitate to the other two infield spots because of the amount of free agent choices. It a simpler conversation but the Angels are not getting any better ignoring the hard to find solutions.

How can you even begin to talk about 2B when they have no closer?  It shows you have no solution for the bullpen.

Just now, Stradling said:

They have a capable closer in Parker.  But yes I get your point.  It’s like when the vocal minority get pissed early in the off season when they sign minor league depth when the big club needs help.  It’s dumb. 

Love Parker and glad you got the point.

The fact is I am not afraid the Angels will literally have no one to play 2B next year.  Duh.  They need to get a second baseman.  And they will.

But I am, actually, a bit nervous they will go into 2018 with Cron at first.

If another poster can't manage two thoughts at once then. . . Whatever.

2 hours ago, Glen said:

Neither Morrison nor Cron has ever hit 40 HR in a season. How do you take away ABs from each of them (platoon) and get a greater total?

Morrison clubbed 38 total this past season, 32 HR against righties, though he struggled against lefties . Cron hit 16 and faired well against lefties hitting 6 HR vs. southpaw in 44 games, slugging a robust .500.

I think of there was a straight platoon with Morrison they could club 40 HR combined. 

8 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Most likely scenario that's going to happen is that valubena and cron are going to stay, Billy's going trade for solid second baseman.

Than around the trade deadline or after, Billy's going to swing a trade for either 1st or 3rd like he did with Upton . 

Why not sign the 1st or 3rd addition ad a free agent and not have to give up a boatload if prospects at the trade deadline?

Upton was fairly cheap because he had the opt out and the Angels were only really paying for half a season.

That's fine to do where you need a boost  midseason but you dont want to go into a season with an obvious need with a plan to let it ride tik the trade deadline then give up prospects. . .

You just sign the answer to the problem in free agency if you have the money and the Angels have the money.

24 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Most likely scenario that's going to happen is that valubena and cron are going to stay, Billy's going trade for solid second baseman.

Than around the trade deadline or after, Billy's going to swing a trade for either 1st or 3rd like he did with Upton . 

Yeah I think that's pretty accurate. I mean Yunel and Valbuena at 3B wouldn't knock any socks off, but it would produce a player that gets on base. Same with Cron and LoMo. It won't knock any socks off, but it results in power I guess.

2 hours ago, Tyler said:

Sucks to see they are not interested in Moose, must be the asking price. For 2B, Ian Kinsler is clearly the best fit for what it costs.

I like Walker better than Kinsler for second base.  Kinsler is a right handed bat with a sinking OBP.  Hernandez is the best fit if they can work out a deal with the Phillies.  Morrison would then be great for 1B, and let Valbuena and Cowart man 3B.  Sign Revere to back up in the outfield.  At that point move on to pitching, specifically relief pitching.  Of course all of this depends on the final price for each of these pieces, so we have to wait and see what the demand is.

3 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

It will be Cron and Valbuena maning the corners. We’ll get Utley at second base because Arte will be reminded that we asked for him.