• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels’ Infield Plans

John Smith

If they could somehow find a way to get Cesar Hernandez, they'd still have so much money left to fill other positions. From a financial standpoint, it would not be unrealistic to bring in Hernandez ($5 mil), Cobb ($14 mil), Minor ($7 mil) and Petite ($4 mil), and still stay under the cap.

Cesar Hernandez would have a huge impact on the Angels - he's basically Chone Figgins, but at second base, which is exactly what the lineup needs. 

But the Angels probably need--and will get--two new position players: a new 2B and either a new 1B or 3B. I'm sure Eppler is kicking the tires on a variety of options, and that plan is just one of them. But I wouldn't take it at face value as THE plan.

Starting pitching needs to be just as high of a priority. If Eppler truly doesn't intend to bring in another starting pitcher, this team will be doomed again next year. Our rotation simply doesn't stack up with any legitimate contender's, and the feont office is fooling themselves if they think it does.

I am hopeful the public statements regarding pitching are mere B.S. to distract from the team's true intentions. 

" It seems likely, barring a good deal for a player like Eugenio Suarez or Jake Lamb for instance, that Luis Valbuena will be our starting 3B on Opening Day 2018, based on current and future needs combined with our more pressing resource allocations at 1B, 2B, and in the rotation/bullpen."

:D

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

" It seems likely, barring a good deal for a player like Eugenio Suarez or Jake Lamb for instance, that Luis Valbuena will be our starting 3B on Opening Day 2018, based on current and future needs combined with our more pressing resource allocations at 1B, 2B, and in the rotation/bullpen."

:D

Looks like Moustakas is out. Cannot blame them though if they're really after OBP and contact over power. 

11 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

That's the assumption everyone has been operating under already, right? 

At least that's what I've assumed all along, that Valbuena will be part of a platoon at 3B and that the Angels will be seeking major offensive upgrades at 2B and 1B.

If we land Morrison it looks like Cron will stick around. I don't think that's a bad platoon. Between the both of them, they could hit 40 HR.

Still, my preference is Carlos Santana.

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If we land Morrison it looks like Cron will stick around. I don't think that's a bad platoon. Between the both of them, they could hit 40 HR.

They aren't going to platoon LoMo and Cron. 

I think signing a FA with a QO attached is off the table too, not only because we lose our second round pick but half a million in international money, which we need every penny we can get.

26 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

At least that's what I've assumed all along, that Valbuena will be part of a platoon at 3B and that the Angels will be seeking major offensive upgrades at 2B and 1B.

No that is not the assumptions everyone has been making. Many members here have been all over the place about whom we will acquire and why.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

My point is that our opinions develop over time (mine included) as we gather more information and understand the nature of the problem(s) better. I am sure you can go back and find examples of where I was thinking one way and then leaned in an entirely different direction.

Edited by ettin

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Looks like Moustakas is out. Cannot blame them though if they're really after OBP and contact over power. 

This is about strategic front office positioning for next year and beyond. I will discuss this in the 'Final Thoughts' article this Thursday.

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I am fairly confident (90%+) in stating that Cron is traded this off-season. Probably to a smaller market team in need of some thump like the Rays, Royals, or Indians.

7 minutes ago, ettin said:

No that is not the assumptions everyone has been making. Many members here have been all over the place about whom we will acquire and why.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

My point is that our opinions develop over time (mine included) as we gather more information and understand the nature of the problem(s) better. I am sure you can go back and find examples of where I was thinking one way and then leaned in an entirely different direction.

You're telling me you haven't been operating under the assumption that Valbuena will be platooning? I call BS on that.

6 minutes ago, ettin said:

Huh?

We've known all along that Valbuena is not a full time starter, we knew that when we signed him a year ago, we knew that last year.

Any guesses we make based on what the Angels will do has operated under the assumption that Valbuena will not be a full time starter. 

You've assumed that, as has everyone else. This article says just that.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

I don't know. . .seemed like quite a few scoffed when I said an upgrade at first makes more sense than an upgrade at 3rd.

43 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

We've known all along that Valbuena is not a full time starter, we knew that when we signed him a year ago, we knew that last year.

Any guesses we make based on what the Angels will do has operated under the assumption that Valbuena will not be a full time starter. 

You've assumed that, as has everyone else. This article says just that.

I haven't always assumed that Scotty but it became more evident this year.

You said above that everyone thought Valbuena would be at 3B and that is not true. By your own previous posts you thought at one point Moustakas or Nunez would be at third. That was my point that, no not everyone (including myself), has made that assumption (of Valbuena being at 3B) including you.

In the first post I quoted you on, you didn't even have Valbuena in the discussion (either he was on the bench or off the team one or the other) with Morrison at 1B, Profar at 3B, and Gordon at 2B.

1 minute ago, ettin said:

I haven't always assumed that Scotty but it became more evident this year.

You said above that everyone thought Valbuena would be at 3B and that is not true. By your own previous posts you thought at one point Moustakas or Nunez would be at third. That was my point that, no not everyone (including myself), has made that assumption (of Valbuena being at 3B) including you.

In the first post I quoted you on, you didn't even have Valbuena in the discussion (either he was on the bench or off the team one or the other) with Morrison at 1B, Profar at 3B, and Gordon at 2B.

Of course Valbuena is on the team.  Just because I didn't list him doesn't mean I just assume he's gone Ettin.  He's a platoon player or at worst a bench player.  You'd think that would also be assumed without saying it out loud.  

How did you not get that Valbuena is a platoon 3B?  He played 3B last year, Eppler said he would play 3B, the Angels interest in LoMo has already been reported....where the hell else would Valbuena play except 3B?  Are you expecting him to start at 1B?

Come on....

With Valbuena starting at 3rd, would Cowart be the rh hitter to platoon?  Cowart was already replacing Valbuena in late innings for defense. If not, The new rh hitting 3baseman will need to be versatile enough to also back up ss and 2b, or they will be carrying one less bullpen arm.

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

Of course Valbuena is on the team.  Just because I didn't list him doesn't mean I just assume he's gone Ettin.  He's a platoon player or at worst a bench player.  You'd think that would also be assumed without saying it out loud.  

How did you not get that Valbuena is a platoon 3B?  He played 3B last year, Eppler said he would play 3B, the Angels interest in LoMo has already been reported....where the hell else would Valbuena play except 3B?  Are you expecting him to start at 1B?

Come on....

Scotty your argument is going off on a weird tangent.

By your own words you potentially never saw Valbuena even playing 3B in past statements and then you made an all-encompassing statement that everyone here knew he would be at the hot corner this year so I simply pointed out the incongruities.

Additionally many here also believed that Cron and Valbuena could be in a platoon at 1B in the past (not me personally) or that one or the other would be traded and the remaining guy would stay and play most of the time there.

This is my original response to you in a nutshell:

You said this: " At least that's what I've assumed all along, that Valbuena will be part of a platoon at 3B... "

I simply pointed out that, no, you did not assume that Valbuena will be at 3B by providing examples where at one point in time you thought Moustakas might be there, then another where you thought Nunez might be there, and yet another where you thought Profar might be there. The latter three scenarios you posted previously indicate that, no, you did not assume that Valbuena would be at 3B.

If you took it too personally then my apologies. I could care less actually if he is platooning or not it was his positional home that I was referring to in the first place.

4 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

With Valbuena starting at 3rd, would Cowart be the rh hitter to platoon?  Cowart was already replacing Valbuena in late innings for defense. If not, The new rh hitting 3baseman will need to be versatile enough to also back up ss and 2b, or they will be carrying one less bullpen arm.

I have a feeling the Angels may prefer Nolan Fontana moving forward. Cowart might stick around this year or even next but Fontana would fit better in an infield lineup that will wind up being predominantly lefty after this year or next.