• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels’ Infield Plans

John Smith

1 minute ago, Calzone said:

It will be Cron and Valbuena manning the corners. We’ll get Utley at second base because Arte will be reminded that we asked for him. 

I don't want Utley, if we are going for an aged veteran at 2B go hard after Brandon Phillips as he is a much better option.

7 hours ago, tomsred said:

I don't want Utley, if we are going for an aged veteran at 2B go hard after Brandon Phillips as he is a much better option.

Ok no Utley but in lieu of players we’ll probably end up getting a couple of those “Thank You Fans” posters at the stadium entrance again this season. 

0DC4520D-08AE-4216-B370-B49AD90F9263.png

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

They have a capable closer in Parker.  But yes I get your point.  It’s like when the vocal minority get pissed early in the off season when they sign minor league depth when the big club needs help.  It’s dumb. 

Maybe I am missing the boat on Parker, but my lasting memory of him from last year was giving up a lot of HRs in September.

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Morrison clubbed 38 total this past season, 32 HR against righties, though he struggled against lefties . Cron hit 16 and faired well against lefties hitting 6 HR vs. southpaw in 44 games, slugging a robust .500.

I think of there was a straight platoon with Morrison they could club 40 HR combined. 

I just don't see a platoon at first AND a platoon at third.  Morrison / Cron / Pujols, three players with no versatility.  If you add Morrison, one of Cron / Pujols would have to go.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

Maybe I am missing the boat on Parker, but my lasting memory of him from last year was giving up a lot of HRs in September.

Jesus Christ. I just went through Parker's year, and it was one of the most insane things I've ever seen. 

Parker gave up two runs in a game on 4 occasions. 
He gave up three runs in one game. 
He gave up four runs in one game.

So, six bad games. 

In his other 65 games...(92% of his appearances)...
62.2 IP, only 25 hits, 4 earned runs, 14 walks, and 79 strikeouts. 

That's an ERA of 0.54. Opponents slash against him in those games? .093/.141/.150/.291. A WHIP of 0.62.
An H9 of 3.4, HR9 of 0.6, a BB9 of 2, and a K9 of 11.3.

Holy shit.

32 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Jesus Christ. I just went through Parker's year, and it was one of the most insane things I've ever seen. 

So, six bad games. 

That's an ERA of 0.54. Opponents slash against him in those games? .093/.141/.150/.291. A WHIP of 0.62.

Holy shit.

Felts as if most of those runs came when he was overused,  Similarly to Alvarez last year.  

7 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Parker is the real deal, but I am not convinced he will stay healthy. Could be another Dane De la Rosa.

Kershaw is the real deal, but he may not stay healthy. Anyone can get hurt at anytime, we can't be too worried about things that may or may not happen. We need some depth in the minors just in case.

9 hours ago, Calzone said:

Ok no Utley but in lieu of players we’ll probably end up getting a couple of those “Thank You Fans” posters at the stadium entrance again this season. 

0DC4520D-08AE-4216-B370-B49AD90F9263.png

Not that it really matters. But I stsrted thinking about that a few months ago. Trout, yes. Simmons, yes. Pujols...because. but after that, there really arent many guys to pimp up there. 

Upton now, and rightfully so. Calhoun is fine, if he rebounds. But not much else, and no pitchers, unless we see bouncebacks by richards and maybe heaney.

Again, it doesnt really matter. But doesnt seem that long ago we had several fan favorites / star player types to market up there. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

So, six bad games. 

Holy shit.

OK, then, I missed the boat on THAT POST. Mea culpa! Mea culpa!! How many rosaries must I recite?

But, in looking back, he really did not have a great September.

I guess you're right. He's as close to be a closer as we have, given those numbers.

32 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not that it really matters. But I stsrted thinking about that a few months ago. Trout, yes. Simmons, yes. Pujols...because. but after that, there really arent many guys to pimp up there. 

Upton now, and rightfully so. Calhoun is fine, if he rebounds. But not much else, and no pitchers, unless we see bouncebacks by richards and maybe heaney.

Again, it doesnt really matter. But doesnt seem that long ago we had several fan favorites / star player types to market up there. 

Yet I remember when all six poster spots were filled with players but found it funny that they ended up needing to fill two spots with “Thank You Fans” I guess you just can’t thank the fans enough. 

CB18F6DF-2ACA-4749-A477-271600970521.jpeg

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

Yet I remember when all six poster spots were filled with players but found it funny that they ended up needing to fill two spots with “Thank You Fans” I guess you just can’t thank the fans enough. 

CB18F6DF-2ACA-4749-A477-271600970521.jpeg

It’s probably a bed idea to be putting players in those spots.  Either there are not enough, or there will be someone left off.  They should have put up a hot dog, six pack of beer, hamburger, kettle corn, chocolate sundae, and cheese nachos.  Then they should widen the entrance gates.

I agree that 2B is the priority, because they were downright awful at 2B. But they were also last in the league at 3B (by bWAR) and at DH.

As the only improvement at DH comes from Pujols improving, the other two positions ought to be the focus.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi?request=1&year=2017&lg=AL&stat=WAR

And just for comparison sakes, here's 2015 and 2016.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi?request=1&year=2015&lg=AL&stat=WAR

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi?request=1&year=2016&lg=AL&stat=WAR

The Angels were definitely bad at 2B, but left field was the worst position on the diamond.

Bottom line is both positions need to be addressed, now that they've solved LF with Upton.

1B also needs to be addressed, but with Thaiss close, perhaps they aren't looking at a long term solution, they way they ought to be at 2b and 3B. According to the top prospects list, neither 2B or 3B has a guy waiting in the wings.

Hernandez is likely a long shot, so signing a guy like Zach Cozart may help us at either position.

I think they will end up with 3 free agent bats, none via trade, as the cost is just really high. And losing the #56 draft pick isn't as bad as losing a top 20 pick.

If they sign a guy with a qualifying offer, though it will only be one. Not two.

I'd say Logan Morrison or Carlos Santana, plus Neil Walker and Cozart or Todd Frazier could be a decent off-season haul. Would definitely improve the hitting. Which was the Angels problem in 2017.

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I agree that 2B is the priority, because they were downright awful at 2B. But they were also last in the league at 3B (by bWAR) and at DH.

As the only improvement at DH comes from Pujols improving, the other two positions ought to be the focus.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi?request=1&year=2017&lg=AL&stat=WAR

And just for comparison sakes, here's 2015 and 2016.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi?request=1&year=2015&lg=AL&stat=WAR

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi?request=1&year=2016&lg=AL&stat=WAR

The Angels were definitely bad at 2B, but left field was the worst position on the diamond.

Bottom line is both positions need to be addressed, now that they've solved LF with Upton.

1B also needs to be addressed, but with Thaiss close, perhaps they aren't looking at a long term solution, they way they ought to be at 2b and 3B. According to the top prospects list, neither 2B or 3B has a guy waiting in the wings.

I don't want Simmons to go through his career as an Angel like Bobby Grich did. Grich saw a clown car of SS during his career, almost never the same guy two years in a row. 

In '77 it was Rance Mullnicks. '78 Dave Chalk, 79 Campaneris/Anderson, 80 Patek/Campaneris, 81 Burleson/Patek, 82 Tim Foli, 83 Foli/Burleson, 84-85 Schoefield.

The up the middle defense is kind of up the ass the last two years with 16 Giavotella/Pendelton, 17 Espinosa/Pendelton/Phillips.

It really needs to stop, the platooning and third rate fill ins. Time to lock someone in that can go a three or more year run. 

Valbeuna is not a long term fix at the hot corner. There are players available this offseason who are. Unless they are planning on luring Machaco or Donaldson next offseason, they need to get a long term answer at 3b.

I'm fine with a lower tier 2B addition, because there basically isn't much out there in FA. Cozart is an interesting name, but he's only had one good offensive season in the last three, and we can't be sure if he's a late bloomer, or a product of Cincinnati's field, or what.

Side note: How are people okay with making trades that will surely decimate the Angels minor league system, but not okay signing qualifying offer attached FA, which will cost them one pick (#56)?

57 minutes ago, totdprods said:
·
Also hearing that the #STLCards and #SFGiants -- the two most prominently mentioned Stanton suitors -- aren't the only teams actively involved in a pursuit of the NL MVP. Several other unspecified clubs have engaged with the #Marlins. (Yep, "mystery teams.")

Damn Yankees and Red Sox!

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Valbeuna is not a long term fix at the hot corner. There are players available this offseason who are. Unless they are planning on luring Machaco or Donaldson next offseason, they need to get a long term answer at 3b.

I'm fine with a lower tier 2B addition, because there basically isn't much out there in FA. Cozart is an interesting name, but he's only had one good offensive season in the last three, and we can't be sure if he's a late bloomer, or a product of Cincinnati's field, or what.

Side note: How are people okay with making trades that will surely decimate the Angels minor league system, but not okay signing qualifying offer attached FA, which will cost them one pick (#56)?

Except you will never have a long term solution at every position.

You can count on some positions just being short term solutions.

Looks like the Angels will have short term solutions at at least 2 spots in 2018.  I'm fine with that as long as they are good enough solutions to be trying to win in 2018.