• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels’ Infield Plans

John Smith

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Valbeuna is not a long term fix at the hot corner. There are players available this offseason who are. Unless they are planning on luring Machaco or Donaldson next offseason, they need to get a long term answer at 3b.

I'm fine with a lower tier 2B addition, because there basically isn't much out there in FA. Cozart is an interesting name, but he's only had one good offensive season in the last three, and we can't be sure if he's a late bloomer, or a product of Cincinnati's field, or what.

Side note: How are people okay with making trades that will surely decimate the Angels minor league system, but not okay signing qualifying offer attached FA, which will cost them one pick (#56)?

Agreed, but all things considered, he might not be a bad 2018 option if healthy from the start.

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Except you will never have a long term solution at every position.

You can count on some positions just being short term solutions.

Looks like the Angels will have short term solutions at at least 2 spots in 2018.  I'm fine with that as long as they are good enough solutions to be trying to win in 2018.

I am looking at the Angels prospects and seeing that most are pitchers and outfielders. Wouldn't it make sense to sign a guy at 2B/3B that they can count on for 4-5 years?

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I am looking at the Angels prospects and seeing that most are pitchers and outfielders. Wouldn't it make sense to sign a guy at 2B/3B that they can count on for 4-5 years?

Of course, and maybe I misunderstood you.

Just saying wouldn't it be nice if they had a great player at every position they can count on for 4-5 years?

I'm just saying I can live with a few short term solutions as long as they are actually solutions for even short term.  That's all.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Of course, and maybe I misunderstood you.

Just saying wouldn't it be nice if they had a great player at every position they can count on for 4-5 years?

I'm just saying I can live with a few short term solutions as long as they are actually solutions for even short term.  That's all.

I only mean because of the state of our farm, and where all the prospect depth is, that we should sign a guy that provides a solution for a few years at positions where we don't have any depth at that position above A-ball. I'd much rather have shorter term contracts at positions where we have a solution coming up in the farm.

I like the idea of upgrading at 1B with Santana, and I'd even be happy with one of LoMo or Alonso, and then filling out 2B with a regular player like Walker. 

For 3B, if the Angels just snag a really solid UT IF option to split time with Valbuena and back-up SS and 2B, we'd be in good shape. Doesn't need to be anyone fancy, someone with some speed, a good glove, and the ability to hit lefties well and give Valbuena, 1B, and 2B a day off against those on occasion.

4 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Angels wisely passing on Moose and keeping 3B free for next offseason when Machado/Donaldson are UFA

As we will discuss soon in the 'Final Thoughts' article, putting Valbuena at 3B to start 2018 actually allows the Angels to upgrade with either one of those players at the Trade Deadline, not just for next year.

If we are able to get Stanton, that levels the playing field with the Astros. Not only  can we afford Stanton, how can we not afford him!  Not only would I take on his contract I would give up one of our outfield prospects not named Jo Adell! Stanton in the outfield would change things for years to come!

Make it so #1

On 11/28/2017 at 6:36 AM, bloodbrother said:

Angels wisely passing on Moose and keeping 3B free for next offseason when Machado/Donaldson are UFA

Thats an awful huge gamble if true, Moose would want to come here, no guarantee that either of those 2 would.   Plus both will cost significantly more than Moose.  I cant agree to that strategy personally. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Thats an awful huge gamble if true, Moose would want to come here, no guarantee that either of those 2 would.   Plus both will cost significantly more than Moose.  I cant agree to that strategy personally. 

Agree with not looking to the future especially since Machado has stated he wants to return to his original position - SS - which he played throughout the minors.