• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yes or no: Arrieta to the Angels for a deal worth at least $100 million?

Would you want the Angels to sign Arrieta to a big deal if the opportunity is there? I think it is worth the risk. Arrieta was great from 2014-2016 and was pretty good this year overall but if you look closer at his numbers, he pitched like an ace starting in July. Starting in July, he had a 2.26 ERA in 79.2 innings pitched. Not a big sample size but he has pitched like an ace for most of the time for the past 4 years and I think it is worth the gamble to try to sign him to a big deal. He would have the benefit of pitching in a very good home park to pitch in that is Angels Stadium and a great defense behind him.

7 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

He has the look of Barry Zito.

Sort of, when it comes to being in decline after a Cy Young year. But to be real, by the time he was ready to get a big contract, Zito wasn't a good pitcher anymore like he was from 2001-2003. Starting in 2004 and up to 2006, his walk year, the lowest ERA that Zito posted was 3.83. Arrieta just posted an ERA of 3.53 this past season and 3.10 the year prior and  is still really good as he is getting ready for a big contract. Zito was just okay by the time he got a big deal from the Giants.

The trend seems to be don't waste money on the high profile pitchers. The 1/2 types you have to develop from within or trade. Filling out the 3/4/5 slots can be achieved via free agency at a much lower cost and risk than blowing your off season load on a bust top tier pitcher. Greinke might be the one exception to the rule over the past 5 years.

3 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Would you want the Angels to sign Arrieta to a big deal if the opportunity is there? I think it is worth the risk. Arrieta was great from 2014-2016 and was pretty good this year overall but if you look closer at his numbers, he pitched like an ace starting in July. Starting in July, he had a 2.26 ERA in 79.2 innings pitched. Not a big sample size but he has pitched like an ace for most of the time for the past 4 years and I think it is worth the gamble to try to sign him to a big deal. He would have the benefit of pitching in a very good home park to pitch in that is Angels Stadium and a great defense behind him.

I liked this post simply because I didn't think this was worth the troll from @Taylor

If we're in contention at the trade deadline and we are in need of an ace type pitcher, I feel we would be able to put a deal together for one.  Like how the Astros picked up Verlander.

IMO we have too many holes to fill and one big bat or arm can't fix eveything.  We just need productive players to fill those holes.

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

Used to see a ton of Letterkenny commercials but have never bothered to watch, any good?

it's an internet show, so the episodes are short and sweet. you're canadian so i have to believe that the jokes and quick banter would speak to you. as all entertainment, it's subjective though.

for those unfamiliar, i'm a "hard no" on arrieta at that contract.

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

I think his market may be less than 100 million, but I could be wrong. 

Someone will pay north of that. The FA TORP market is too thin this winter, especially with Tanaka not opting-out, Darvish's struggles and general weirdness, and Otani now possibly remaining in Japan.