• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yes or no: Arrieta to the Angels for a deal worth at least $100 million?

8 hours ago, HaloCory22 said:

The trend seems to be don't waste money on the high profile pitchers. The 1/2 types you have to develop from within or trade. Filling out the 3/4/5 slots can be achieved via free agency at a much lower cost and risk than blowing your off season load on a bust top tier pitcher. Greinke might be the one exception to the rule over the past 5 years.

And the results of that have been mixed at best - not what you are looking for when you sign a guy who is supposed to be your ace.

13 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Sort of, when it comes to being in decline after a Cy Young year. But to be real, by the time he was ready to get a big contract, Zito wasn't a good pitcher anymore like he was from 2001-2003. Starting in 2004 and up to 2006, his walk year, the lowest ERA that Zito posted was 3.83. Arrieta just posted an ERA of 3.53 this past season and 3.10 the year prior and  is still really good as he is getting ready for a big contract. Zito was just okay by the time he got a big deal from the Giants.

Doesn’t that show though that Arrieta is regressing since 2015, albeit a sensational 2015?

i would be concerned that he is returning to being ultimately a high 3.00s ERA pitcher.   Not spending $100-$150 million for that.  The one thing in his favor is solid health the past 4 seasons.

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Doesn’t that show though that Arrieta is regressing since 2015, albeit a sensational 2015?

i would be concerned that he is returning to being ultimately a high 3.00s ERA pitcher.   Not spending $100-$150 million for that.  The one thing in his favor is solid health the past 4 seasons.

Could also mean he's due - especially if he signed here haha. David Price was the model of good health and mechanics too.

16 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

+1

Tanaka sees the young core that the Skanks have, and how close to the WS they got.

yeaaaah, that's what tanaka sees. 

tanaka sees his extremely pedestrian results during his contract with the yankees. he sees his ticking time bomb of an UCL. he sees the articles where the yankees said, "if tanaka opts out, we will not pursue him."

but you know...“It was a simple decision for me as I have truly enjoyed the past four years playing for this organization and for the wonderful fans of New York,” 

tanaka's no fool.

43 minutes ago, Bob Trop said:

The Angels will be roughly 30-35 mil under the tax threshold, with needs at 2nd, 3rd, and the pen I sincerely doubt thay would sign a TORP. Arrietta and Darvish don’t qualify as one to me. Upgrade the offense and have a solid pen.

I thought they have $50M-$55M to spend and still be under the tax threshold.

Add me to the "don't sign any of Arrieta, Darvish or Tanaka" group.  Bring back our existing starters, get those guys healthy, and maybe consider a #2/#3 type starter.  Consider the trade market for help.  Dee Gordon is an obvious target in trade from Miami, especially if they eat a percentage of his salary and it doesn't require much in prospects.  Use available funds to solidify the pen (Minor, McGee? + Petit) and the offense please.

This offseason is going to make me sad I think. All the names I see floating around do not get me excited. No to Arrieta, No to Moustakas,  No to Gordon, No to Darvish.

That being said, I don't know who I'd say yes to but these four are going to be a horrible overspend for some team out there and I hope it isn't us. 

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Exactly, it would just mean losing the 2nd round pick, correct?

Cobb might be a very good signing, significantly less money than Darvish/Arrieta?  

Cobb no doubt would be a very good fit for the Angels. Pitching at pitcher friendly Angel Stadium for half of his games and a great defense behind him. 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:19 AM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I thought they have $50M-$55M to spend and still be under the tax threshold.

+1

I had thought that after keeping Upton (new AAV of $21.2 million through 2022), they were still some $50 million under the luxury tax threshold.

They freed up Hackilton's $25 million, plus $9 million each for Street and NoStuffCo, $5 million for Espinohitsa, $7 million for Noscobar (assuming not keeping him), $5 million for Chavez, and $2 million for Pennington, which = $62 million.    Plus they were some $10 million under the luxury tax threshold during the season, before acquiring Upton.

NO.

Too much money.

Check Arrieta stats / starts this season. He had a very marginal first half season.   He seemed to right the ship a bit in the second half but never as dominating as he was in 2015,  Look to last year's championship season and, actually, Arrieta had a better season in 2014 and then 2015.

His stats fell off big time the first half of 2017 and his starts were very inconsistent.  He did better down the stretch in the second half of 2017.

Bottom line -- IMO, he's not worth the money listed in this thread...........but am sure some team will over-pay for him.  Hopefully, not us.