• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia on protesting during the anthem

Chuck

2 minutes ago, TSD said:

Obviously you don't know anyone who is serving and have never served yourself.  Otherwise you'd already know the answer to this question.  Therefore, save the junior high level insults.  There's a reason military personnel voted for Trump 3-1 over Clinton.

This is one of the more ridiculous arguments given.  Diverse opinions are one of the cornerstones of our democracy.

Okay, lets break this down:

A poster states that the pussy grabber is doing great things for the VA.

I didn't know that.  I ask:  How is the pussy grabber doing with that?

I receive a response.  Awesome.

Then TSD butts in: Obviously you don't know anyone who is serving and have never served yourself.  Otherwise you'd already know the answer to this question. 

Uh, YEAH! That's why I asked the question, Einstein!  I didn't know!  That's why I asked! That's how a message board is supposed to work!

15 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Okay, lets break this down:

A poster states that the pussy grabber is doing great things for the VA.

I didn't know that.  I ask:  How is the pussy grabber doing with that?

I receive a response.  Awesome.

Then TSD butts in: Obviously you don't know anyone who is serving and have never served yourself.  Otherwise you'd already know the answer to this question. 

Uh, YEAH! That's why I asked the question, Einstein!  I didn't know!  That's why I asked! That's how a message board is supposed to work!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=trump+rules+of+engagement

I thought you were being sarcastic as I couldn't imagine anyone being that uninformed or intellectually lazy.  I guess some people just really don't care about our military or what's going on in their world.

2 minutes ago, TSD said:

I thought you were being sarcastic as I couldn't imagine anyone being that uninformed or intellectually lazy.  I guess some people just really don't care about our military or what's going on in their world.

what does rules of engagement and commander in chief abdicating his responsibility have to do with VA?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=not+answering+the+question

1 hour ago, yvangelfan said:

Okay, now you can enlighten me! Exactly how are minorities getting shit on today?

overt racism has diminished, especially out here where most of us live, but that doesn't mean that systemic racism isn't still a huge problem.  someone mentioned that the irish used to be discriminated against.  as did the italians, and countless other immigrant groups.  but they aren't anymore.  most african american families can trace their roots in the US back way farther than i can (irish/italian descent), but the wealth and education gaps for them has not gone away. they couldn't really count on being equal by law until the 60's, but still, it doesn't seem to be getting any better for them as a group.  

some stats from studies that aren't just my opinion:

median wealth for single woman who is:  white: $41k, african american: $100, latino: $120

job applicants with "white sounding" names get called back 50% more than those with "black sounding" names, with the same resume

drug sentencing disparities between crack and cocaine

african americans are 30% more likely to get pulled over than whites

african americans with a college degree have twice the unemployment rate of whites with the same degree

that's not even carelessly throwing the word "racist" at anyone, just the net effect of our daily lives.  one can argue all day about the root cause of these types of discrepancies, but they exist.

28 minutes ago, well_red said:

overt racism has diminished, especially out here where most of us live, but that doesn't mean that systemic racism isn't still a huge problem.  someone mentioned that the irish used to be discriminated against.  as did the italians, and countless other immigrant groups.  but they aren't anymore.  most african american families can trace their roots in the US back way farther than i can (irish/italian descent), but the wealth and education gaps for them has not gone away. they couldn't really count on being equal by law until the 60's, but still, it doesn't seem to be getting any better for them as a group.  

median wealth for single woman who is:  white: $41k, african american: $100, latino: $120

job applicants with "white sounding" names get called back 50% more than those with "black sounding" names, with the same resume

african americans with a college degree have twice the unemployment rate of whites with the same degree

that's not even carelessly throwing the word "racist" at anyone, just the net effect of our daily lives.  one can argue all day about the root cause of these types of discrepancies, but they exist.

Who came up with "white sounding names"? What about Asians, Hispanics, etc.?  

And unless you know the specific circumstances of each individual this list is suspect.

2 hours ago, well_red said:

In reference to the crack cocaine part, it wasnt "racist" that sentencing was high. Ask anyone from the inner city what crack did...i can tell you that i deal with meth and heroin addicts all day long today. Still doesnt come close to the crack years of the the mid 80s to mid 90s. 

Crack itself, and the wars surrounding it, have more more to do with how things are today than slavery. Crack did to the black inner city community what HIV did to the homosexual community.

3 hours ago, TSD said:

Making sure that people get their government benefits is *their* issue. It's not mine. It's a whole big world out there. VA benefits are your gig.  Doesn't mean it's mine.

2 hours ago, yvangelfan said:

Who came up with "white sounding names"? What about Asians, Hispanics, etc.?  

And unless you know the specific circumstances of each individual this list is suspect.

It is suspect and here's one example of many variables:  What degrees and from what schools? Makes a huge difference. Black IQ's lag significantly and because of preferential college entrance, many of them that get in just can't hack the harder majors that are in demand.  About 7% of the general population has an IQ over 120.  Among Ashkenazi Jews it's close to 15%. Among blacks it's less than 1%.  Who would you hire to be the engineer for the bridge your family drives across every day, or perform open heart surgery on you?

At some point we have to grow up and accept that people have different strengths and weaknesses, and that races ARE different.  Blacks looks and act different than Asians who look and act different than Hispanics etc etc.

Or maybe I should sue the NBA because it's racist that they won't give me a huge contract.  It's because I'm pretty light skinned.  Not because I'm only 6' 1" and suck at basketball.

17 minutes ago, TSD said:

It is suspect and here's one example of many variables:  What degrees and from what schools? Makes a huge difference. Black IQ's lag significantly and because of preferential college entrance, many of them that get in just can't hack the harder majors that are in demand.  About 7% of the general population has an IQ over 120.  Among Ashkenazi Jews it's close to 15%. Among blacks it's less than 1%.  Who would you hire to be the engineer for the bridge your family drives across every day, or perform open heart surgery on you?

At some point we have to grow up and accept that people have different strengths and weaknesses, and that races ARE different.  Blacks looks and act different than Asians who look and act different than Hispanics etc etc.

Or maybe I should sue the NBA because it's racist that they won't give me a huge contract.  It's because I'm pretty light skinned.  Not because I'm only 6' 1" and suck at basketball.

Are you suggesting that black folks are genetically dumb ? I'm gonna give u the benefit of the doubt and give you the chance to clarify a comment that looks extremely bad. 

22 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Are you suggesting that black folks are genetically dumb ? I'm gonna give u the benefit of the doubt and give you the chance to clarify a comment that looks extremely bad. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://us.corwin.com/sites/default/files/upm-binaries/23169_Chapter_24.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj-98DWsMnWAhVQ3GMKHaUWCo8QFghFMAg&usg=AFQjCNEkp3P9_Tepkr4TRZkV_zlNrp1aaw

Mental retardation is the area of greatest over representation. African Americans make up 17% of the general pupil population but comprise 33% of all the students assigned to programs for the mentally retarded (Donovan & Cross, 2002).

Poverty, which disproportionately affects African American children, is considered to be a major factor in the overrepresentation of African American children in special education (Osher et al., 2004). Nearly half of African American children are reported to live below the poverty line (Watkins & Kurtz, 2001).

Edited by Blarg

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://us.corwin.com/sites/default/files/upm-binaries/23169_Chapter_24.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj-98DWsMnWAhVQ3GMKHaUWCo8QFghFMAg&usg=AFQjCNEkp3P9_Tepkr4TRZkV_zlNrp1aaw

Mental retardation is the area of greatest over representation. African Americans make up 17% of the general pupil population but comprise 33% of all the students assigned to programs for the mentally retarded (Donovan & Cross, 2002).

Poverty, which disproportionately affects African American children, is considered to be a major factor in the overrepresentation of African American children in special education (Osher
et al., 2004). Nearly half of African American
children are reported to live below the poverty
line (Watkins & Kurtz, 2001).

I'm can't read through all that, but obviously there's a difference between being mentally disabled and being dumb.  I wonder if there's some connection to drug use during pregnancy and the prevalence of cognitive disorders.  We know drugs is an issue in the community. 

Special Education, doesn't necessarily mean mental disorder.  Poverty as the study notes, obviously a major factor. 

Still, that doesn't justify the (possible) assertion that they are genetically mentally inferior.  

I think the correlation is poverty creates people with less responsibility to the parenting process which creates more children disabled due to choices made during pregnancy (drinking, drugs, smoking, poor diets) then poor parenting due to other situations like single mother working, unable to provide support or guidance, diet, cultural environment in economically depressed areas. Wash, rinse and repeat and it becomes a downward cycle in which the same situations play out with the offspring. Eventually you have a population of geneticly damaged people having children together which creates an even higher incidence of mentally handicapped.

It starts with poverty as the catalyst.

25 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Bad why?  Is it bad to say whites are inferior athletes?  It's generally true.  Since when is the truth bad?  Blacks have more fast twitch muscle fiber, that's a fact.  Just as other races have other attributes.  Asians are shorter and industrious.  Is that racist?   Some tribes in the Andes evolved larger lungs to live at higher altitudes.  Racist?   Whites tend to invent and conquer. Racist?  People from different areas of the world developed all types of unique attributes, but everyone's brains evolved exactly the same and we're all equally smart.  Right.  

Bottom line, we're all human and should be treated with respect.  There is no superior race, just differences.  If we could have an adult conversation and recognize those differences we might get somewhere.  But political correctness won't allow that.

Sorry if facts offend, but they're still facts. 

53 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I think the correlation is poverty creates people with less responsibility to the parenting process which creates more children disabled due to choices made during pregnancy (drinking, drugs, smoking, poor diets) then poor parenting due to other situations like single mother working, unable to provide support or guidance, diet, cultural environment in economically depressed areas. Wash, rinse and repeat and it becomes a downward cycle in which the same situations play out with the offspring. Eventually you have a population of geneticly damaged people having children together which creates an even higher incidence of mentally handicapped.

It starts with poverty as the catalyst.

Agreed. And its not "a black thing". I think people are too often led to believe the inner city is where poverty startd and ends. In all reality, the inner city has it better than people think..schools, hospitals, EMS, etc. 

Meanwhile, in appalatia, the desert, the trailer park, etc, in 2017, you still have people who have outdoor shitters. The sheriff is an hour away, as is the hospital, etc etc. 

The only way to "solve" it would never fly in America. Youd almost have to kidnap the youth in those places to be raised somewhere else, then force sterilization on the adults. Stalin could hane done it, but no way would a scenario like that be greenlit here.

Another thing i think would put a lot of this media hype to rest is simply to expose the public to actual court...and see just how often evidence is thrown out of court, how many plea deals are handed out, and how many non files the DA gives...its not a cop thing.

Let this sink in. Myself included before i got into this career, nobody knows the laws. Think about it. You know you are not supposed to steal. Who can tell me what grand theft is, vs burglary, vs robbery, vs fraud? Who can tell me the difference between robbery and manslaughter? Who can tell me what constitutes rape? The specific elements of rape...what has to specifically happen to be charged with rape?

This is key. We, as a society, dont spend a single second teaching anyone the law. You have to pass driver's training to drive a car, but what formal training does any average person recieve in terms of criminal law, search and seizure, and case law for use of force? 

Zero.