• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols' 2017 OPS

45 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

His season ending stats is irrelevant this season ... what he does now is what's relevant. Dude needs to turn it up a few notches to give the team a fighting chance. I know he's doing his best but unfortunately that's not good enough.

I believe hes still capable of it, hes shown flashes of it and i dont think hes done yet.   BUT... i do think he looks lost up there right now, completely out of whack and needs some times or something to fix it.   

If he just became a line drive hitter that took walks rather than going for home runs, he'd be much MUCH More effective and would be a solid #3 hitter. 

Now he's just all or nothing, and the nothing is usually a GIDP with RISP. I'd rather he strikeout, instead he's ruining an inning where the Angels could put up some runs because he's a Groundball MACHINE!

So frustrating. 

I agree with @vladdy#27 that the likely best case scenario for next year is that he return to .700-.750ish, which is still mediocre for a 1B/DH. But if he gets back to that level his job is secure indefinitely. If he continues to hit below .700, then I don't expect him to be a regular for more than a year. It could get really ugly, and hopefully he has enough self-respect and honesty to accept a demotion to part-time player. 

His effect on the offense extends beyond his ineptness at the plate.  Trout is tied for 9th in MLB with 72BBs, however, with ABs factored in his 24% walk rate is #1 in MLB.   Likely continue to climb with so much WC activity and Pujols behind him.  Cron, Calhoun, perhaps Simmons wouldn't provide much more incentive to pitch to Trout, but they would more often make the other team pay.  Or move Trout back to #3 with a couple of decent OBPs in front of him...to do some damage before The 'GIDP' Machine steps up. 

Perhaps related to hitting him behind Trout, Scioscia seems reluctant to pull Pujols for a pinch runner even in obvious situations.  So, he clogs up the basepaths because he can no longer run.

I used to think him losing about 30lbs would possibly turn things around, but I think its gone beyond that.  He could lose 30lbs and still fucking suck.  

43 minutes ago, 70runner said:

His effect on the offense extends beyond his ineptness at the plate.  Trout is tied for 9th in MLB with 72BBs, however, with ABs factored in his 24% walk rate is #1 in MLB.   Likely continue to climb with so much WC activity and Pujols behind him.  Cron, Calhoun, perhaps Simmons wouldn't provide much more incentive to pitch to Trout, but they would more often make the other team pay.  Or move Trout back to #3 with a couple of decent OBPs in front of him...to do some damage before The 'GIDP' Machine steps up. 

Perhaps related to hitting him behind Trout, Scioscia seems reluctant to pull Pujols for a pinch runner even in obvious situations.  So, he clogs up the basepaths because he can no longer run.

I used to think him losing about 30lbs would possibly turn things around, but I think its gone beyond that.  He could lose 30lbs and still fucking suck.  

Yeah at least with Simmonds he could hit a single to move Trout first to 3rd or avoid a GIDP with his speed.

15 hours ago, wopphil said:

He is done. He looks terrible, and the results match. It will be interesting to see how long Arte and Scioscia stubbornly insist upon playing him every game and batting him in the three spot. 

He is going to bat 3 until there is an obvious better alternative and not a guy who recently got hot.  Primary for the off season is to find a replacement hitter for the three spot.  Stanton would have been great.

9 minutes ago, stevestevens said:

Was watching the game with my 9 year old son a week ago. Son says "pujols is not good anymore dad but he is probably the best only 50 year old in baseball" 

Even after my telling him his age and showing him on the internet, he still thinks pujols is 50.

What's your son's screenname

19 hours ago, floplag said:

Walk away, no.... do i think he could be given a front office job in some capacity with a silly salary for that job to re-assign the money elsewhere, perhaps.   

He already has a $10M / year for 10 years contract with the Angels after he retires.

So why not pay him his salary the next four years and just move him into the front office next year? 

Yeah....wishful thinking...

It's a safe bet that this will be the first year in Pujols' illustrious career that his OPS will not be at least be considered "good", using Bill James' OPS scale. Him even hitting the .700 mark by the end of the season would be consider a miracle at this point. At a miserable .651 now after last night's win against Oakland. He can always bounce back next year and post an OPS in about the .767-.790 range.