• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

Two all-time greats for the Phillies.

Guy on the right is a Hall of Famer. In 1930 he had 445 total bases, 4th best season total ever. 

Guy on the left was an outfielder and also a pitcher in his earlier days. He hit .398 in 1929 with 254 hits and 152 runs scored. 4th highest career batting average, .349

TwoPhillyGreats.jpg

5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Two all-time greats for the Phillies.

Guy on the right is a Hall of Famer. In 1930 he had 445 total bases, 4th best season total ever. 

Guy on the left was an outfielder and also a pitcher in his earlier days. He hit .398 in 1929 with 254 hits and 152 runs scored. 4th highest career batting average, .349

TwoPhillyGreats.jpg

Lefty O'doul and Chuck Klein

Lefty O'Doul started out in MLB as a relief pitcher. He once gave up 16 runs in three innings of relief, an all-time record. He was converted to a power hitting outfielder after a sore arm ended his pitching days. After his playing days he became a minor league manager, and ended up the most successful manager in PCL history. One of the players he developed as manager of the San Francisco Seals was Joe DiMaggio. He refused to take credit for DiMaggio's success, saying "I was just smart enough to leave him alone." O'Doul was also instrumental in the development of professional baseball in Japan.

42 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Lefty O'Doul started out in MLB as a relief pitcher. He once gave up 16 runs in three innings of relief, an all-time record. He was converted to a power hitting outfielder after a sore arm ended his pitching days. After his playing days he became a minor league manager, and ended up the most successful manager in PCL history. One of the players he developed as manager of the San Francisco Seals was Joe DiMaggio. He refused to take credit for DiMaggio's success, saying "I was just smart enough to leave him alone." O'Doul was also instrumental in the development of professional baseball in Japan.

I have no idea how much of this stuff you commit to memory or how much you copy and paste, (it feels as though you remember all of this stuff), but either way I appreciate you bringing it here.  Thanks.  

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I have no idea how much of this stuff you commit to memory or how much you copy and paste, (it feels as though you remember all of this stuff), but either way I appreciate you bringing it here.  Thanks.  

Actually, I didn't know a whole lot about him. I just highlighted some of the more important stuff from internet sources.

Appreciate your comments. 

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Which one of these is not like the others...?

sometimes you take a chance on rookie cards 

5BD396FD-2FCE-4C85-8BD0-D4CCBF47632F.jpeg

One didn't come to the majors through tha Angels' farm system.

One has never been given grief about their hitting abilities.

One was an MLB washout.

15 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

The guy standing next to Ty Cobb is one of only three players who hit .390 or better for four seasons. The other two are Cobb and Rogers Hornsby.

The guy standing next to him later became the first general manager of the Angels in 1961.

The other guys? I have no idea.

1923DetroitTigersMLBDugoutPicture.JPG

Given the stats, Harry Heilmann has to be the guy to Cobb's right. Fred Haney was the first Angel GM but I had no idea he played on this (or any) team.

Beat me to it, have read up a little on Harry Heilmann over the years, great hitter.   What Fred Haney did in putting together the Halos in the beginning was crazy good.   An era that saw expansion teams win generally 50-60 games in their first year and not much more in the second year, and yet the Halos went 70-91 and 86-76 in those first two years.