• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

It's Mantle. His 18th and final World Series home run in Game 7 of the '64 series.

Gibson was running on fumes but his manager left him in there until the end, and the Cardinals won the game 7-5 and the Series.

I went to school at St. Hedwig in Los Alamitos, my teacher at that time was a nun from St Louis.She brought in a little black and white TV and let us watch the games during class. I don't remember much from school but I will never forget how cool that was. I do remember that after St. Louis won we didn't get any homework.After thinking about this I realized that, f*ck I'm old.

22 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I went to school at St. Hedwig in Los Alamitos, my teacher at that time was a nun from St Louis.She brought in a little black and white TV and let us watch the games during class. I don't remember much from school but I will never forget how cool that was. I do remember that after St. Louis won we didn't get any homework.After thinking about this I realized that, f*ck I'm old.

I’m up there too.   Watched my first WS game in a classroom in Charlotte as a 4th grader (Dogs vs Twins in 1965).

content

These two used to be teammates and are smiling since they once were part of a two month long joke that involved Hank Greenberg. Do you know the story?

Spoiler

Hank Greenberg's home-run splurge during the last six weeks of the 1946 season was attributed to a stolen bat.

According to the stories published in the newspapers, Roger (Doc) Cramer, Detroit center fielder, stole a bat from Ted Williams during a Tigers-Red  Sox series early in August and presented the bat to Greenberg who immediately began hitting the ball out of the park with austounding regularity. He hit so many home runs that he passed Williams and won the championship.

At the end of the season Cramer, a man who likes a joke better than most men, admitted that the story was a hoax and that Greenberg had used no bats except his own all season long. Greenberg verified the fact and added the he let the story of the stolen bat ride since he didn't want to spoil Cramer's fun.

However, when the Red Sox won the pennant Greenberg sent Williams one of his bats, told him to use it in the World Series, and wished him luck.

Williams gave the bat to Rudy York and, what happended? York, using Greenberg's bat, won two games for the Red Sox by hitting home runs, while Williams got five singles in the seven-game series and one of them was a bunt.

This story was brought to you by Major League Baseball 1947, Facts, Figures and Official Rules. It was printed in 1947 by Dell books and was given to me by my Aunt, three months ago, who passed away recently. I have been enjoying reading it. 

Rudy York World Series .261/.433/.652/1.086 6 hits, 1DL, 1 TP,  2 HR, 6 R, 5 RBI.

Ted Williams World Series .200/.333/.200/.533 5 hits, 1R, 1 RBI

He should have used Greenbergs bat.