• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

13 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Yep.

Locke High School, 1973.

Murray would win ROY in 1977. Ozzie entered the majors a year later and finished 2nd behind Bob Horner in the NL for ROY. Both are Hall of Famers.

Both were switch-hitters too.

That must have been one heck of a Locke HS team.    They had a pretty good overall athletic program back in the 1970s, not sure about now.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

A future baseball Hall of Famer who broke the Long Island high school basketball scoring record of a future football Hall of Famer.

Who is he, and who's the guy whose high school scoring record he broke in 1957?

yazhs1957300.JPG

Yaz

Broke Jim Brown's HS scoring record?

I promise that I looked it up after answering the question.

Pic does look a lot like a young Yaz, plus I thought I remembered that Jim Brown grew up somewhere near NYC and was a many sports star.

Jim Brown was even the top college lacrosse player in America in 1957, for Syracuse.   

Personal note: Once saw both NBA HOFer Bill Russell and Brown walking up to the Honda Center entrance during the 2001 NCAA Western Regional.  Dude next to me was like WTF?   Simply told him, we see celebs all the time out here.

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I promise that I looked it up after answering the question.

Pic does look a lot like a young Yaz, plus I thought I remembered that Jim Brown grew up somewhere near NYC and was a many sports star.

Jim Brown was even the top college lacrosse player in America in 1957, for Syracuse.   

Personal note: Once saw both NBA HOFer Bill Russell and Brown walking up to the Honda Center entrance during the 2001 NCAA Western Regional.

Okay, I give up!

Lacrosse?! I have to go find some obscure sport you haven't heard of.

Nice personal memory of seeing Russell and Brown. I once saw Willie Stargell walking to his car after an Angels game and actually went up and said hello. He was alone, and we chatted for a minute about the '79 World Series. I don't know what he was doing at an Angels game, as we weren't playing the Pirates, but it was him.

48 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

There's a guy in the front row who really knew how to hit, and a guy in the back who in 1904 had one of the best seasons ever for a pitcher.

They're the two Hall of Fame players in this photo.

Good timing, I just finished reading the Yankees 100 year retrospective. Wee Willie Keeler and Jack Chesbro.41 wins and 48 complete games for Chesbro

Ty Cobb's description of stepping into the batter's box that day against Johnson is unforgettable:

On August 2, 1907, I encountered the most threatening sight I ever saw in the ball field. He was a rookie, and we licked our lips as we warmed up for the first game of a doubleheader in Washington.
Evidently, manager Pongo Joe Cantillon of the Nats had picked a rube out of the cornfields of the deepest bushes to pitch against us.... He was a tall, shambling galoot of about twenty, with arms so long they hung far out of his sleeves, and with a sidearm delivery that looked unimpressive at first glance.... One of the Tigers imitated a cow mooing, and we hollered at Cantillon: 'Get the pitchfork ready, Joe—your hayseed's on his way back to the barn.'
 ... The first time I faced him, I watched him take that easy windup. And then something went past me that made me flinch. The thing just hissed with danger. We couldn't touch him.... Every one of us knew we'd met the most powerful arm ever turned loose in a ball park.

some members of the New York Knickerbockers Baseball Club pictured in 1859.

second from left: later wrote the rules of modern baseball...ruled that bases were 90 feet apart...created the shortstop position...created nine-player teams and nine innings per game.

far right: assembled and managed the first real professional team, the Cincinnati Red Stockings in 1869. Member of the Hall of Fame. His brother George is also a HOF'er.

Knickerbockers.jpg