• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

On 7/18/2019 at 7:49 AM, fan_since79 said:

Ruth's 700th home run, July 13, 1934. Detroit's Navin Field.

So where was everybody when he crossed the plate?? Just wondering.

1fp7ru9xi8sy.jpg

Ruth700.jpg

This was a Wednesday game. The night before was Burrito Tuesday and The Babe slammed three burrito gigantes. It wasn’t a very popular meal for those around him.

3 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Mickey Mantle at the Hall Of Fame game at Cooperstown,NY

Correct!

1st inning home run to right-center. The Reds ended up blowing a five-run lead and the Yankees prevailed.

There was no other baseball that Monday, August 9th, 1954. 

I think they ended this tradition a few years ago. Sad.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

80 years ago today, the first televised major league game.

What stadium was this? 

FB_IMG_1566880416795.jpg

That's Ebbetts Field in Brooklyn. I love the old stadiums and have a few miniature stadiums.My favorite is the Polo Grounds with it's unique shape, plus 483 feet to dead center and 258 feet down the right field line. 

The old Shibe Park in Philadelphia was once 468 feet to dead center. On the day that Lou Gehrig hit four home runs, his last at-bat in the 9th produced a drive that Al Simmons made a spectacular running catch on right by the wall there. Gehrig would have had five home runs that day in a modern stadium. June 3, 1932.

The old Cleveland Municipal Stadium dimensions pre-WWII, iirc, were 470 to CF and 435 to the power alleys.

And of course, RHH's had trouble with old Skankee Stadium being around 460 to LCF/CF, pre-1974 remodel.

The old stadiums that were probably the most difficult to hit HRs in were Braves Field and old Griffith Stadium. 

11 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Huge outfields. That's probably why Babe Ruth had 136 triples. He wasn't the fastest man on the base paths. He also had 10 inside-the-park HR.

Curtis Granderson is the active career leader in triples with 95. He's on the tail end of his career though.

Sam Crawford had 309, one of the untouchable records with how baseball is today.

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

So, not a picture or trivia but I thought I'd drop this in this thread because it's pretty cool.

Home run derby is a great show, I'm sure most of you know it was filmed at Wrigley Field in Los Angeles.Wrigley was the Angels first home stadium in 1961. I was a huge Mickey Mantle fan so my parents took me to see the Yankees play the Angels at Wrigley for my first baseball game.I went in as a just a Mantle fan and came out as a lifelong fan of the Angels.