• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, fan_since79 said:

We have a winner!

Photo from his first professional game. Cobb was 17 years old. Two hits, including a home run. Released two days later for financial reasons. Later that year re-signed by the Tourists. Sold in 1905 to the Detroit Tigers for $750 and the rest is history.

I recognized that photo immediately, having seen it before.    Okay, I am showing off now.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

First home run as a Yankee?    Ruth (1920), Mantle (1951)

You're too good.

And of course, that was the Mick's first career home run.

Ruth was slumping when he came into that game, but then went on a tear in May, hitting 12 home runs that month. He would finish the season with 54 HR, 158 runs scored, and his best OPS mark of 1.379.

Hutchinson started managing at age 32 as the Tigers' player/manager.   He eventually managed the Tigers and the Cardinals, before taking over in Cincinnati and leading them to three straight solid years (1961-1963) including a WS appearance in 1961.    But he tragically had to quit managing in 1964 due to health problems, and passed away at only 45 after the 1964 season. 

...and an ironic footnote to that game:

Fourteen years after being replaced by Gehrig in the Yankee lineup, western Michigan native Wally Pipp was in the lobby of the Book-Cadillac Hotel while on a business trip when word started circulating about the end of the streak. Pipp attended the game that afternoon and commented to reporters that “Lou looks ill to me”.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/may-2-1939-lou-gehrigs-streak-ends-detroit

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Albert Pujols has 1,999 RBI. Next in line near the top is this gentleman with 2,075. The greatest hitter of the late 19th century and still the all-time Chicago Cubs franchise leader in hits, runs scored, doubles, and RBI. He would play 20 seasons with the team, hitting at least .300 in 18 of them.

Anson%20Cap%204055-74_FL_PD.jpg?itok=5fN

i thought you were going to say this was albert's rookie card picture.

That's too easy, just by the picture it's Cap Anson. I didn't think he had 2075 RBI  so I looked up all time RBI leaders on the MLB page and it lists him at 1879.Baseball reference has him at the 2075 so his official total is 1879.That is why on the Angel broadcasts they never mention him and they list Aaron 2297,Ruth 2214, and Alex Rodriguez 2086 ahead of Pujols.Very interesting.

They made a big deal about Albert 'passing' Ruth because RBI did not become an official stat until 1920, but everyone knows the truth.

The reason Anson's numbers are so divergent is because he played for several years in a league that doesn't exist anymore, but it was still considered the majors. His Baseball Reference page has his complete 27-year record.

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

They made a big deal about Albert 'passing' Ruth because RBI did not become an official stat until 1920, but everyone knows the truth.

The reason Anson's numbers are so divergent is because he played for several years in a league that doesn't exist anymore, but it was still considered the majors. His Baseball Reference page has his complete 27-year record.

Well, everyone except MLB.