• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Its time for the front office to step up and do its job

floplag

9 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Richards somewhere near the rotation by mid-September would be incredible.  Imagine Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, J.C. Ramirez, and Parker Bridwell as your rotation going into the final two weeks of the season.  That's probably the reason you won't see the Angels pick up a SP through waivers.

I'm higher on Bridwell than I am on Ramirez. I like the kids make-up and ability he hasn't backed down in any game situation so far that I've seen.

Sometimes, I feel like JC has that brain fart or he takes a break gives up a couple runs and then has to bear back down. I mean he's currently our Ace as a .500 pitcher with a record of 10-10 and an ERA in the low 4's. The thing that makes me Leary to trust him beyond this year is his K's per inning for as hard as he throws I think he should be 1 K per inning at least. I might even see how he finishes this year and try to sell high this off season on him. If he can end up with 13-15 wins that's worth a near Major League ready prospect or two....

3 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I'm higher on Bridwell than I am on Ramirez. I like the kids make-up and ability he hasn't backed down in any game situation so far that I've seen.

Sometimes, I feel like JC has that brain fart or he takes a break gives up a couple runs and then has to bear back down. I mean he's currently our Ace as a .500 pitcher with a record of 10-10 and an ERA in the low 4's. The thing that makes me Leary to trust him beyond this year is his K's per inning for as hard as he throws I think he should be 1 K per inning at least. I might even see how he finishes this year and try to sell high this off season on him.

I like Bridwell better as well but I like Ramirez in there more than Nolasco hence why he was included.  If Meyer or Shoemaker was healthy,  I'd keep Ramirez with Petit and Chavez in long relief.

8 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I like Bridwell better as well but I like Ramirez in there more than Nolasco hence why he was included.  If Meyer or Shoemaker was healthy,  I'd keep Ramirez with Petit and Chavez in long relief.

Agreed against Nolasco vs Ramirez! Stinky Ricky is just dog $hit warmed over!....I like him (JC) in the bully I just watch his games and around the 5-6 innings he takes that mental break and Boom! We are chasing 2 or 3....Sven gets someone up in the pen and he looks out there and bears back down. It's like clock work!

3 hours ago, slump dog said:

Good point there,just that we need more BP at this point to stop leaks.

The only teams I worry are in AL Central.

Astros,NYY,BoSox are beatable.

So the best teams in the league.  Come on dude. 

Some of you guys are nuts.  I'm enjoying them hang around but I have zero expectations about success in the post season.  If there is a guy out there that can help for just money, then sure. 

The team should be focused on 2018 and beyond.  This is a great opportunity to see what we really have with guys like Cron, Cowart,  Bridwell etc in competitive games. If we happen to get a playoff game great.  If not, that's fine also.  We'll end up with higher draft pick that can definitely use.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Hernandez is gone but Paredes and now Bailey can step into that role. Even putting Norris aside they now have Bedrosian, Middleton, Bailey, Parker as reliable one inning guys with Petit, Paredes, in the 2 inning roles with Chavez available to back up a starter who shits the bed. We can breathe easy knowing there's no good reason to see either Morin or Alvarez in any important inning

I'm not really sure what they could do at this point.  They traded away Hernandez for nothing, but held on to Norris despite getting interest in him (even after those two grandslams) because Eppler said he didn't want to get rid of too much because he felt the Angels were still competitive.  Not sure why he made that move.  I don't full understand how some of these trades work (like PTBNL trades) and the Angels do a lot of trading with the D-Backs so maybe it was a good faith type of trade.  Or I could be completely wrong.  

My point though is that Eppler has basically took the position of standing pat, which I agree with.  Messing with what you have to get players that may or may not have an impact will often do more harm than good.  Going to get a real impact player costs money, talent, or both.  

You can usually get an impact player towards the end of their career with a bloated contract without giving up too much talent.  But then there goes that money that was freed up and the Angels are stuck with another aging overpaid vet in the coming years.

You can trade for a half a season of an impact player, but you have to trade talent to get him.  Then if this year doesn't pan out you have mortgaged your future for a long shot.

This isn't even a team that you can look at and say, "these guys are definitely making the playoffs".  You are supposed to bolster your team FOR the playoffs; not in the hopes of making them.  This team still has a year or two to go to reach their potential and any big moves will risk ruining that.  

I know you keep saying that they should at least explore options, but what do you think Eppler is doing? Of course he is exploring options, but the reality is that impact players come at a cost. Period.  Name me one example that proves otherwise.

So many people have been impatient with this team.  I love where this team is headed.  Eppler has slowly, but surely been building up the minor league system as well as the major league system.  He is getting guys off the scrap heap and they are producing very well for us.  However, we have nearly a full starting rotation on the DL and a couple of gaps in our lineup.  Some guys are starting to step up (Cowart and now Cron), but we still aren't sure what we have with them.  We still have money coming off the books and much better FAs the next couple of offseasons.  In two years our farm system should start to produce MLB players and we will have been able to sign solid FAs.  At that point we should be competitive for a while.  

Trading away future controllable assets is not a great idea in most instances.  When you aren't great yet it hinders you from getting there.  When you are great and expedites the amount of time you stay that way.  You have to make smart trades when they are available (like the Simmons trade) and otherwise make smaller moves.  Eppler has already been doing this and will likely continue to do so.  Until he does something to prove me wrong I will continue to trust he is doing the best he can, exploring all options, and choosing not to do much of anything if it will hinder his long term plan.  

You want to make a push for a chance at the playoffs in a year where they have been mostly ok with some flashes of great.  Eppler wants to give the Angels a chance at the playoffs every year for years to come.  He just needs to get to that point.  

13 hours ago, floplag said:

The players have gotten this team back into a playoff race spot without any help from the front office and that effort deserves more than what its gotten from them.
Its time for Eppler and team to do what they need to do to reward that effort.    Past time really, but they need to work that front office magic and get what this team needs to make a run.  
I'm not going to debate what they could have or should have done in the past we've covered it all... I'm wiping that slate clean.  
The team got back in it, now the front office needs to do the same to do whatever can be done in Aug.

Basically, you want Eppler to go to Dipoto.   A lot of good arguments here about that being highly unlikely.  I had low expectations this year, so what is happening now is gravy.  I would rather take the off season to make the needed moves rather than a knee jerk trade, especially one that could affect what seems to be good clubhouse chemistry.   Besides, Heaney coming back and Skaggs already back is better than anything you would get in a trade. 

8 hours ago, bruin5 said:

Basically, you want Eppler to go to Dipoto.   A lot of good arguments here about that being highly unlikely.  I had low expectations this year, so what is happening now is gravy.  I would rather take the off season to make the needed moves rather than a knee jerk trade, especially one that could affect what seems to be good clubhouse chemistry.   Besides, Heaney coming back and Skaggs already back is better than anything you would get in a trade. 

No, i never said that at all, in fact i have said i don't want them to do something just for the sake of doing something.  
Most here seem to assume that is the only kind of deals that can be made, i find that hard to believe and disagree.  

1 hour ago, floplag said:

No, i never said that at all, in fact i have said i don't want them to do something just for the sake of doing something.  
Most here seem to assume that is the only kind of deals that can be made, i find that hard to believe and disagree.  

The problem with having this discussion with you is you don't actually give an example of what you want.  From what I can tell you are willing to take on salary to improve the team this year. But you are noncommittal on how to do that, other than telling us there are ways to make it happen without giving up prospects.  Does that sum it up?   

I disagree our farm system is finally clawing back up and money is coming off the books. Let's not make the same mistakes we made at the beginning of the decade. See where this team can take us as they currently are. IF (and it's a big if) the pitchers we have coming back pitch to their ability they are a far better choice than anyone on the market. 

Also let's be honest this has been amazing but we are not a world series team. the top 5-6 teams in the NL would kill us in a 7 game series as would the top  2-3 teams in the AL. 

I think the moves that the Angels could've made were made already.  I was hoping the Angels picked up Bruce from the Mets and the Indians basically got him for nothing.  The Angels need to make the right move and start benching Pujols, but with the present roster and prospects, not sure who they will replace him with.