• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cowart Sitting

I RARELY complain about lineups and what is done with them, but this Cowart shit is asinine. He's a great defender and he is going to hit .250 at worst with a little bit of pop. Our other options are useless Pennington and the one schtick Valbuena. Neither are great defenders. It makes absolutely no sense. 

I get the "exhale" reason Scioscia uses frequently for sitting guys but it just doesn't seem very logical with Cowart, or Cron for that matter.....Cowart's a young guy who needs exposure to big league pitching and playing 2b if he's going to be a factor....in and out of the lineup doesn't seem like a good way to evaluate his potential as an everyday player.....Cron is another issue, I guess, since they signed Valbuena in the offseason with the stated intent to platoon with Cron....but it's pretty obvious that in and out of the lineup doesn't work for Cron either....when he got regular AB's last season, he produced....

Cubs were playing the Dbacks the other day, and Mathis was catching for the Dbacks.

Cubs booth was talking about Mathis and his career .199 average, asking if his defense was enough to keep him in the majors for 10 years...they talked about the situation with Naps back in the day. Again the question was brought up about his defense being good enough to keep him in the lineup over good hitters and the Cubs color man said..."It must be...either that or incriminating photos"

Even out of market announcers read the AW.com forums!

16 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Scioscia just trying to put the best lineup to win on a any given day. 

I suspect we'll see Cowart get the lion share of starts. It's not like Cowart is Trout or Simmons.

No big deal ... Just Win!

I think, over a long season, Scioscia's tempement is ideal for a good manager....his teams seem to respond, by in large, to his steadiness....and honestly, I don't think I've ever questioned his handling of a pitching staff....I guess he makes mistakes there, like every manager, but, by in large, he seems to get the most out of what he has, maybe moreso.....but his handling of position players, specifically platooning constantly and his stubbornness with continuing to play underproducing veterans, has always baffled me.....his weak area as a manger, in my humble opinion...

39 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think, over a long season, Scioscia's tempement is ideal for a good manager....his teams seem to respond, by in large, to his steadiness....and honestly, I don't think I've ever questioned his handling of a pitching staff....I guess he makes mistakes there, like every manager, but, by in large, he seems to get the most out of what he has, maybe moreso.....but his handling of position players, specifically platooning constantly and his stubbornness with continuing to play underproducing veterans, has always baffled me.....his weak area as a manger, in my humble opinion...

Platooning is part of the game ... what manager doesn't platoon? As a manager you try to play to each players strength ... it's always going to be a guessing game. 

Pennington has a history of success against Hellickson ... not so yesterday. 

9 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Pennington has a history of success against Hellickson ... no so yesterday. 

Pennington is 3-12 career vs Hellickson, and until last night, had not even faced Hellickson since 2013, when he also went 0-2. His last hit off Hellickson came in 2011! Are we serious with this shit?

18 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Platooning is part of the game ... what manager doesn't platoon? As a manager you try to play to each players strength ... it's always going to be a guessing game. 

Pennington has a history of success against Hellickson ... no so yesterday. 

Sure, all managers platoon....and if you've got a clear situation where Player X and Player Y bring similar skill sets to the table but one is much better against LHP or RHP, it would be stupid not to.....But I think sometimes his platooning makes very little sense, hence the Cowart and Cron discussion....the whole Valbuena/Cron plan made little sense because Cron hits RHP better than LHP....and if you really are going to see what Cowart can do, sitting him for Pennington seems kind of silly... but that's just me....

Just now, DMVol said:

Sure, all managers platoon....and if you've got a clear situation where Player X and Player Y bring similar skill sets to the table but one is much better against LHP or RHP, it would be stupid not to.....But I think sometimes his platooning makes very sense, hence the Cowart and Cron discussion....the whole Valbuena/Cron plan made little sense because Cron hits RHP better than LHP....and if you really are going to see what Cowart can do, sitting him for Pennington seems kind of silly... but that's just me....

Cowart is going to get MOST of the starts ... not really a valid argument. The objective is to win first ... they felt Pennington gave the team it's best chance. 

Pennington is going to get starts ... no use going bonkers whenever he does

pennington sucks and has no chance of being any better than his baseline of poor.  Cowart is going to have growing pains but his floor is that of pennington at the dish and he's a way better defender.  

If they think Cliff Pennington gives the team a better chance to win then they haven't really been watching him play.  

19 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

And if you look at it, the first game Sosh gave Cowart off, he said he was just giving him a rest.  What did it do?  It caused Cowart to lose some momentum.  Let the kid play every game.  He deserves it.

Agree that he should be playing--but do you really think having one game off killed his momentum?  It's not like he was going to continue hitting close to .500...

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Agree that he should be playing--but do you really think having one game off killed his momentum?  It's not like he was going to continue hitting close to .500...

I completely agree, but I think giving a player who is on fire at the plate a day off can slow them down.  Especially a young guy who is trying to earn his spot for years to come.