• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gavin Newsom to propose universal health care for Californians

• 1 month later...

The price tag for single payer in California is in.

$400 billion, of which half will have to be raised by new taxes.

15% payroll tax on businesses and residents. Can anyone say "jobs killer"?

Guaranteed coverage for all, including illegals, and zero out-of-pocket costs. Whee!!

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20170523/NEWS/170529976

15% is probably not much different then what people have to pay through their employers.  And they probably end up with better insurance.  I'm not saying I'm for or against this because I don't know enough about it.  I do advocate a single payer system tho. 

I do disagree with the idea that illegals should have access to it though especially if 50% of the funding comes via tax increases on payroll.  If it were brought to a vote, that would be a deal breaker for me.  I'm not that far left. 

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

15% is probably not much different then what people have to pay through their employers.  And they probably end up with better insurance.  I'm not saying I'm for or against this because I don't know enough about it.  I do advocate a single payer system tho. 

I do disagree with the idea that illegals should have access to it though especially if 50% of the funding comes via tax increases on payroll.  If it were brought to a vote, that would be a deal breaker for me.  I'm not that far left. 

So you would prefer to have a state run health plan over your employer provided plan?

13 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

So you would prefer to have a state run health plan over your employer provided plan?

Like I said, I would like to know the specifics but most employer provided insurance isn't that great.  Generally I view single payer as an improvement over what we have now.  I'm assuming it would be similar to what they have in Canada the U.K. other western states with such systems in place.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

43 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Why would you think it would be better insurance?  I would think the opposite to be true, for many.

I've had good insurance through employers and bad insurance.  The gap in quality of coverage can be massive.  I'm talking about large institutions in either case.  It's just a personal outlook on the question.  I don't believe in the discrepancy.   If someone can afford it and desires it I don't think a single payer system eliminates the possibility of purchasing additional insurance privately.  In fact,  I think that becomes a new industry.  That's the case in other countries anyway. 

"Most employer provided insurance isn't that great" and you think the state is going to do a better job because of it's successful track record of maintaining the states infrastructure when we already paid some of the highest taxes in the country before the new gas tax?  Because of it's success in dealing with the cost of illegal immigration which have increased 800% in less than 25 years?  I could go on and on but at the end of the day California much like the feds has shown little or no fiscal responsibility and if you give the people in Sacramento any more power while making citizens more dependent on the state it's only going to speed up the states demise.   

I'd have to see the exact details of the plan but I know my employer who pays 100% of our benefits spends far less than 15% of 941 wages on a great plan.  I know everyone isn't in the same boat as I've had jobs with less employer provided benefits but that's part of my compensation package and something I work for.  If you aren't happy with your benefits look for a new job or do something to increase your earning potential so you can get better benefits don't expect politicians and other taxpayers to do it for you.  

You know, it's not about asking other people to do something for me or anyone else.  It's about what I think is a more equitable system.  I pay for my insurance, and I  always have.  I pay my taxes and always have.  I'm certain that I pay more then average.  I've kept a full time job basically my entire adult life.  In that regard I've been fortunate.  I'm not interested in a hand out.  I believe it's a net positive for everyone and that's why I support the idea.  By all means disagree.  The hand out characterization is bullshit though and it's a tired weak argument that a lot of you conservatives always fall back on. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

i agree with this. if you're a citizen, you should be covered. if you're not, pay your own way.

at some point, even the morons in sacramento have to realize they can't keep milking the same cow.

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

You know, it's not about asking other people to do something for me or anyone else.  It's about what I think is a more equitable system.  I pay for my insurance, and I  always have.  I pay my taxes and always have.  I'm certain that I pay more then average.  I've kept a full time job basically my entire adult life.  In that regard I've been fortunate.  I'm not interested in a hand out.  I believe it's a net positive for everyone and that's why I support the idea.  By all means disagree.  The hand out characterization is bullshit though and it's a tired weak argument that a lot of you conservatives always fall back on. 

I just don't see how you justify giving the government more power, authority and money when it has basically mismanaged most everything they have done.