• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

32 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Ahead of Cron?

I'm talking about the 1B/DH spots in totality. Jefry Marte would have a shot too but Choi is a lefty so he might be a better fit. Everything will depend on ST outings and available 40-man roster spots.

On 1/6/2017 at 7:11 PM, ettin said:

I'm talking about the 1B/DH spots in totality. Jefry Marte would have a shot too but Choi is a lefty so he might be a better fit. Everything will depend on ST outings and available 40-man roster spots.

If Albert isn't ready, they will give DH at bats to Marte and Revere.  I could see them going with an extra pen arm out of spring instead of the additional bench player.  

Pitchers may have still not lowered their asking prices.

Wieters would be a good buy if his price was low or limited to a year. I'm more confident in him putting up a solid offensive season than either Maldonado or Perez. If offers enough depth for any of our catchers to be trade bait. Wieters would be another layer of protection at 1B/DH. If Marte is struggling, Cron starts slow, and Pujols is still hurt, Wieters would be a little more stable than bringing Choi or Cowart up for those ABs. 

28 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

What's up with them continuing to monitor bats? Team needs some pen and rotation depth

We really have no idea what they are "monitoring" and "not monitoring."

Every time I talk to Eppler he says they are still open to improving the team in any way possible. I realize that sounds like an empty catch phrase but I assume it's also true.

Just because one writer heard from someone that the Angels have had internal discussions about one player doesn't mean they haven't also had internal discussions about 30 other players. 

As for Weiters, I think his price would have to drop a lot before the Angels would get involved. Not because they don't have the money but because I'm sure they see that his offense has slipped a lot, especially away from Camden Yards. And I don't think he's that great defensively either. 

Obviously he's better than Maldonado, but only if you can get him for ... say, $6M for one year, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

....Obviously he's better than Maldonado, but only if you can get him for ... say, $6M for one year, IMO.

Don't think his market has dropped that far Jeff....Boras overplays his hand occasionally and he may have here but wouldn't expect that kind of drop off....heck, that's Jesse Chavez money....

5 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Don't think his market has dropped that far Jeff....Boras overplays his hand occasionally and he may have here but wouldn't expect that kind of drop off....heck, that's Jesse Chavez money....

Maybe add some heavy performance incentives? If he hits them, he'd probably be worth it. The current catching duo could quite possibly not crack a .600 OPS. 

Small sample size, but Wieters has crushed it at Angel Stadium over his career:
24 games, 89 PAs, 31 hits, 2 doubles, s6 home runs, 18 RBI. .369/.393/.607/1.000

Looking at his HR spray charts, all but 2 would have left the Big A - another two could have been robbed. 
All would have left virtually every other AL West stadium except for a couple that would have died in Minute Maid's goofy centerfield. So, there is a source of lefty-pop there.

So I will fully admit I have not been aboard the Matt Wieters train prior to this. There were a lot of question marks in his past that made me nervous including his Tommy John Surgery and his platoon splits hitting LHP better than RHP (which isn't ideal).

HOWEVER after looking deeper I think he would be a good addition to the 2017 team on a 1 year (or more) deal. More to come, perhaps in an article if I have the time today.

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Choi gone

As minimal as that may seem, our AAA position player depth is critically low. For all of our lotto pick pitching options we have now, we have a comparably thin selection of position player depth. 

Kaleb Cowart, Nolan Fontana, and Ryan LaMarre are basically all we have down there right now. That's concerning. I imagine some minor-league deals are pretty close to being announced.

Could lend some credence to the idea of signing another fringe FA to increase depth and bump one or both of Perez or Marte to SLC for insurance. Especially if it's someone with some lefty-thump or defense.