• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

I don't think GM's put a ton of thought into ZIPS WAR projections, but I could be wrong. 

Also, if the cost is the same or similar, why would we want Cobb? The upside is certainly much greater, but so is the risk, and we already have too much of that IMO. If he sucks and can't recover, then he's a waste. If he regains his form, we get him for 1 year and he looks for a huge payday in 2018. 

I don't care much for Odorizzi but he's younger and under club control until 2020. Even with arbitration raises he's likely cheaper than several other options. 

So if the cost in trade is similar, Odorizzi makes far more sense.

15 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't think GM's put a ton of thought into ZIPS WAR projections, but I could be wrong. 

Also, if the cost is the same or similar, why would we want Cobb? The upside is certainly much greater, but so is the risk, and we already have too much of that IMO. If he sucks and can't recover, then he's a waste. If he regains his form, we get him for 1 year and he looks for a huge payday in 2018. 

I don't care much for Odorizzi but he's younger and under club control until 2020. Even with arbitration raises he's likely cheaper than several other options. 

So if the cost in trade is similar, Odorizzi makes far more sense.

Look it is just a tool to get relative surplus values it is of course not the end all be all of valuations. It doesn't take into account a lot of factors it is just like WAR, a tool that helps you gain a little perspective about relative player worth (mainly because it uses WAR LOL).

What I am saying is that as much as we may WANT Odorizzi (and I too am not a huge fan of him either) the Rays very likely want to only move Cobb (who I actually do like better than Odorizzi). My suggestion is that Eppler may like the idea, as he did with the Bandy trade, of getting a MLB ready piece like Alex and pick up one or more ancillary players/prospects for the future. This is what scouting is for and I am sure, if the Angels pursue this with the Rays, that Eppler will do what is best for the team.

For instance what if we picked up Cobb and one of the Rays relievers like Boxberger or Ramirez for instance? Maybe Cobb and a couple of prospects? What if we traded Cron + ? for Cobb and Brent Honeywell (very unlikely I'm just tossing stuff out here)?

By the way I was not advocating that we trade Cron straight up for Cobb that would be stupid. Also if he regains form I'd be very pleased and wouldn't care if he left after the season because we'd probably have made the playoffs if that were true. I'd rather the Angels go a different route than going after Odorizzi whether it is Cobb or another team entirely (of which I talk about in the article that is about to be released).

We may end up doing absolutely nothing too.

2 hours ago, ettin said:

For instance what if we picked up Cobb and one of the Rays relievers like Boxberger or Ramirez for instance? Maybe Cobb and a couple of prospects? What if we traded Cron + ? for Cobb and Brent Honeywell (very unlikely I'm just tossing stuff out here)?

I'd be interested in something along those lines too. And I still like Andriese as a target as well, especially if a good reliever or prospect came up in talks too.

• 3 months later...

We're a quarter of the way through the season, and thought it'd be an interesting time to glance at how some of our most bandied-about hot stove players are doing. Obviously, there's no guarantee these players would have performed the same in Anaheim or in the context of our team, but still worth looking at.

First up is catcher, a position most of us were comfortable with keeping as is, but Eppler felt otherwise. 
Matt Wieters dominated the discussion, but names like Jason Castro, Alex Avila, Wilson Ramos, and Nick Hundley also stirred up in some threads. In the end, we flipped Bandy for Maldonado, a move I think many of us are more than happy with at this juncture. In terms of cost and balance of skills, Maldonado still stands out as one of the better catchers of the group, but Alex Avila, whom I clamored for as a lefty-platoon mate for Perez and Bandy, is in the midst of a career year, and Wieters has performed to his career standards. Castro has also performed well and comes closest to matching with Maldonado.

Martin Maldonado, acquired for Jett Bandy, Los Angeles:
.265/.329/.397/.726, OPS+ 101, WAR 1.0
44 G, 153 PA, 6 2B, 4 HR, 14 RBI, 6 BB, 35 K, 38% CS%

Jett Bandy, acquired for Martin Maldonado, Milwaukee:
.280/.345/.520/.865, OPS+ 123, WAR 0.4
30 G, 110 PA, 6 2B, 6 HR, 18 RBI, 8 BB, 23 K, 10% CS%

Matt Wieters, 2-yrs, $21m, Washington:
.277/.349/.423/.772, OPS+ 103, WAR 0.3
39 G, 152 PA, 8 2B, 4 HR, 17 RBI, 14 BB, 30 K, 22% CS%

Jason Castro, 3-yrs, $24.5m, Minnesota:
.212/.331/.354/.685, OPS+ 90, WAR 1.2
33 G, 133 PA, 7 2B, 3 HR, 12 RBI, 19 BB, 34 K, 42% CS%

Alex Avila, 1-yr, $2m, Detroit:
.337/.459/.618/1.077, OPS+ 195, WAR 1.5
32 G, 109 PA, 7 2B, 6 HR, 20 RBI, 20 BB, 32 K, 27% CS

Nick Hundley, 1-yr, $2m, San Francisco:
.253/.273/.410/.682, 79 OPS+, -0.1 WAR
30 G, 89 PA, 10 2B, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 3 BB, 23 K, 20% CS%

Wilson Ramos, 2-yrs, $12.5m (with $5.75m in incentives), Tampa Bay:
Still recovering from ACL and meniscus tears, sidelined through end of June. 

And just for the heck of it, the three former Angels catchers currently employed by the Diamondbacks org:
Chris Iannetta:
.236/.304/.486/.790, 97 OPS+, 0.3 WAR
24 G, 79 PA, 3 2B, 5 HR, 9 RBI, 5 BB, 20 K, 29% CS%
Jeff Mathis:
.174/.202/.326/.528, 32 OPS+, -0.7 WAR
27 G, 89 PA, 5 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 3 BB, 26 K, 43% CS%
Hank Conger (AAA):
.276/.350/.414/.764
26 G, 100 PA, 3 2B, 3 HR, 25 RBI, 11 BB, 27 K, 16% CS%