• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

Just now, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

This isn't 1979......Players are going to get paid! Enjoy him while you have a chance to see him up close!

exactly. Mike Trout is worth every penny we give him. If not for him we would be in a world of hurt! Arte' wouldn't have that large tv mega deal either! Who wants to pay to see a bunch of old dudes and never will be's?

The TV deal came before Trout was a somebody. It was pretty closely tied in to Pujols.

1 minute ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

This isn't 1979......Players are going to get paid! Enjoy him while you have a chance to see him up close!

exactly. Mike Trout is worth every penny we give him. If not for him we would be in a world of hurt! Arte' wouldn't have that large tv mega deal either! Who wants to pay to see a bunch of old dudes and never will be's?

The TV deal pre-dates Trout being a major leaguer. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The TV deal pre-dates Trout being a major leaguer. 

signed Dec 8 2011.... MT#27 was playing in 2011

http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-angeles-angels/2011/12/8/2622757/los-angeles-angels-tv-deal-3-billion-20-years-albert-pujols-c-j-wilson-arte-moreno

Same Day the Halos signed AP#5 to the Albatross! .....

Trout won Rookie of the year in 2012..... AP#5 started here in 2012.... The TV Deal was not just predicated on a Mega Deal for a aging Slugger!

And the Angels signed their television mega-deal in December 2011, the same week they signed Pujols and Wilson.

Come on. Cable TV execs are morons, but they're not going to offer a $3b dollar deal based on a 19-year old hitting .220 in 40 games.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Come on. Cable TV execs are morons, but they're not going to offer a $3b dollar deal based on a 19-year old hitting .220 in 40 games.

And they aren't going to PAY Arte and the ANGELS for an AGING MEGA STAR who is bailing on a huge successful Organization like the CARDS! .(Who not only sell-out every game. But, are historically one of the most successful teams of all time)......... Dodger, Yankee, SOX = OF COURSE! 

We would have our very own YES Network!!!! ......

20 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

And they aren't going to PAY Arte and the ANGELS for an AGING MEGA STAR who is bailing on a huge successful Organization like the CARDS! .(Who not only sell-out every game. But, are historically one of the most successful teams of all time)......... Dodger, Yankee, SOX = OF COURSE! 

We would have our very own YES Network!!!! ......

Let's put our disgust of Pujols aside 

Yes the TV execs would be influenced in signing a mega deal for a team who made the playoffs 7 of the last 10 years and just signed a player that was the consensus best player in the game at the time.  Nobody is able to read the future and predict Pujols troubles.

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Let's put our disgust of Pujols aside 

Yes the TV execs would be influenced in signing a mega deal for a team who made the playoffs 7 of the last 10 years and just signed a player that was the consensus best player in the game at the time.  Nobody is able to read the future and predict Pujols troubles.

It's exactly this.  There were also rumors that Arte would start his own network like the guys back east.  I'm guessing FoxSports saw a good team that was making the playoffs with regularity and decided to sign the big deal.  No one could have predicted Albert would drop off like this nor could anyone predict that Trout would come up in 2012 and instantly be the best player in the game.  

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Back on the off-season FA pitchers subject, could it be that Arte/Eppler are waiting to get the arb deals done with GRich, Calhoun, Cron, and Maldonado, before trying to sign one or two of the lower valued FA pitchers?

Possibly. 

Virtually no one is signing anywhere though. I think Eppler is fine with what he has right now, and he's just waiting until the last possible price reduction amongst FAs and then making offers at that point. No one out there is really worth overpaying for at this point.

19 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Back on the off-season FA pitchers subject, could it be that Arte/Eppler are waiting to get the arb deals done with GRich, Calhoun, Cron, and Maldonado, before trying to sign one or two of the lower valued FA pitchers?

Confirmed settlements with Richards (6.85), Calhoun (6.35) and Shoemaker (3.325).

Billy's almost finished with arbitration salaries already. Agreed with Espinosa last night on a deal for $5.425 million ($125K more than his projected salary), and they've agreed with Kole ($6.35 million is lower than his $6.9 million projected salary), Garrett ($6.85 millions vs. his projected $7 million), and Shoemaker ($3.325 million vs. his projected $3.8 million) on deals today. Eppler working fast, saved just over $1 million dollars (for now, still have to settle with Maldonado), but it's nice to see them hammering this stuff out. Now get Maldonado done. 

10 minutes ago, nikkachez said:

Billy's almost finished with arbitration salaries already. Agreed with Espinosa last night on a deal for $5.425 million ($125K more than his projected salary), and they've agreed with Kole ($6.35 million is lower than his $6.9 million projected salary), Garrett ($6.85 millions vs. his projected $7 million), and Shoemaker ($3.325 million vs. his projected $3.8 million) on deals today. Eppler working fast, saved just over $1 million dollars (for now, still have to settle with Maldonado), but it's nice to see them hammering this stuff out. Now get Maldonado done. 

He's putting in work this season. A low cost/risk starter and a bullpen piece and I think we are in good shape.

I know it may not feel like it right now, but Eppler is in a nice position. He has a few positions he could still upgrade, a decent amount of money to work with, maybe $20m shy of the tax, and there are numerous FAs still available, most of which are going to have to start accepting some very low offers soon. He may do absolutely nothing, he may add one piece, but there's really nothing preventing him from adding multiple free agents at the last minute still. For all we know we add Wieters in place of Perez, another reliever, another hybrid starter, and a UT IF all on bargain one-years. 

44 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It's exactly this.  There were also rumors that Arte would start his own network like the guys back east.  I'm guessing FoxSports saw a good team that was making the playoffs with regularity and decided to sign the big deal.  No one could have predicted Albert would drop off like this nor could anyone predict that Trout would come up in 2012 and instantly be the best player in the game.  

I Pujols in a different light as some of you here.

He is a big reason why the Angels signed a generous cable deal.

He also plays a big role in Mike Trout's success as a player.

He is the team leader and motivator. He's there for all players seeking help. 

He has played through much pain to help the team win games. I don't care how you shake it but 31 HR 119 RBI 71 RUN .268 AVE ... is getting it done considering he can't run.

Some of you see him as a replacement level player ... excuse me if I laugh my frickin ass off! In my book he's a 10 WAR player.

btw I never like the guy from day one ... I was wrong. 

Ps this isn't directed to you

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I know it may not feel like it right now, but Eppler is in a nice position. He has a few positions he could still upgrade, a decent amount of money to work with, maybe $20m shy of the tax, and there are numerous FAs still available, most of which are going to have to start accepting some very low offers soon. He may do absolutely nothing, he may add one piece, but there's really nothing preventing him from adding multiple free agents at the last minute still. For all we know we add Wieters in place of Perez, another reliever, another hybrid starter, and a UT IF all on bargain one-years. 

I believe our 5th rotation spot is up for grabs in ST ... as planned by Eppler.

He have three potential closers signed ... unti that gets sorted out I don't see Eppler adding to the bullpen. 

If we don't sign Wieters, and I suspect we won't, I hope we hold on to the amount we're under the tax, and look for a seller at the trade deadline that may have a decent number 1-2 starter available to bolster the rotation.

Jay Howell may be a nice reasonably priced LOOGY to fill out the bullpen, as well.

Just now, AngelStew43 said:

If we don't sign Wieters, and I suspect we won't, I hope we hold on to the amount we're under the tax, and look for a seller at the trade deadline that may have a decent number 1-2 starter available to bolster the rotation.

Jay Howell may be a nice reasonably priced LOOGY to fill out the bullpen, as well.

I still think JP Howell and Jim Henderson would be great cheap buys - they'll either be cheap enough to jettison if they suck or great bargain buys if they perform well. Not necessarily the best buys, but the best cheap buys. 

Boone Logan is still pretty appealing to me, but the fact that there has been basically no murmurs on him this offseason is concerning.

Have a hard time seeing a #1-2 starter being affordable at the deadline. We won't have the prospects for that. I'd rather buy one in the offseason than deal for one.