• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

32 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

so to follow up on that, you really only have about 20-30mil to spend if you are going to have similar payroll limits for 2020.  Certainly a lot can happen by then, but as long as we keep the same guys, 2020 is the limiting factor.  Then you have to extend Trout and/or a number of your other arb guys if possible.  Not to be a buzzkill, but I think the idea of bringing in some big name free agents in the pre 2019 off season isn't looking good.  

I think he could add one big time FA two years from now, and still be fine payroll wise.   But that would be it until at least Pujols' contract running out after the 2021 season.

That sounds fine to me, averaging one bigtime FA acquisition day every 4 seasons on average, with the MO being non-declining in any way and not over age 29.  If one isn't available, continue with the other parts of building the franchise (draft, strategic trades, foreign scouting).

I don't think we'll see us avoiding mid or top tier FAs for much longer. I think Eppler is avoiding them primarily because he doesn't want to take on any level of additional risk to limiting his payroll in the future, to the point where he didn't really worry about winning much at all in '16 and '17. I think he felt he could field a team of cheap, one-year vets that had the ability to compete if things aligned right, but it was secondary to rebuilding the farm and cleaning up the payroll, and even a mid-tier FA backfiring put that in jeopardy.

Bottom line, I don't think he wanted to do a damn thing to make his job any harder than it already was. And that's probably a good thing. I don't think Eppler was hired to make this team playoff-bound in his first couple of years, but from a PR standpoint - and from hope that a team built around Mike Trout could luck into the playoffs - they didn't feel like a total rebuild was necessary or worth talking about.

Luis Valbuena is another guy who, if the offseason goes on and he still doesn't get an everyday offer and his price drops, is someone I'd take a hard look at in place of Pennington (cut or dealt) or even Marte, due to reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. Completely forgot he was still out there. 

I was in favor of Valbuena to take 2b as our starter but I don't think he has the defensive ability to Eppler's standards.  would definitely like him over pennington.  I also remember Eppler talking about not pursuing LHed hitters with some pop but not true hr power in that Angel stadium crushes those guys.  

But he'd be a great bench option with Marte.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I was in favor of Valbuena to take 2b as our starter but I don't think he has the defensive ability to Eppler's standards.  would definitely like him over pennington.  I also remember Eppler talking about not pursuing LHed hitters with some pop but not true hr power in that Angel stadium crushes those guys.  

But he'd be a great bench option with Marte.  

Agreed, and with Espinosa in the fold, he could technically fill in for Simmons when he needs a day off. The bigger issue with Valbuena is I'm not sure if he's really able to be counted on to even play 2B. He's more of a 1B/3B these days, and I think he's pretty limited in what he can do MIF. 

20 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

That was to keep people interested and it was in a lost season.  2016 should have been the season he traded away most of this players and retooled.  Instead, once again, he is keeping them just above mediocre and only focusing on 3 million fans.  I know there is nothing I can do about this but I feel sorry for fans that actually think our owner wants to win a championship.

Go and look at our payroll and where it ranks and reevaluate your statement.  

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Agreed, and with Espinosa in the fold, he could technically fill in for Simmons when he needs a day off. The bigger issue with Valbuena is I'm not sure if he's really able to be counted on to even play 2B. He's more of a 1B/3B these days, and I think he's pretty limited in what he can do MIF. 

He could also be a nice stop gap at 3b next year if Marte doesn't pan out and we move on from Escobar.  

I still see us making some fringey moves for the pen

Cahill as mentioned 

Rubby de la Rosa is an interesting guy but it appears he will need another TJ

Still like the idea of Holland if healthy.  

Logan, Storen, Feliz, Hochevar and Tolleson are still out there.  

Another interesting guy is Jon Edwards.  Former ranger and padre with a big arm.  Lot's of k's and bb's.  

And Zac Rosscup - lefty with 95.  Lots of k's and bb's

I'm still meh on Feliz but like all those others. Blevins, Howell, and Jim Henderson would be on my radar too. I can't imagine Eppler is content with the current pen depth.

I can't see it happening, but you never know if someone actually calls up and offers a great deal for someone like Escobar, Perez, Cron, or even Calhoun. Any of whom *could* be replaced still by remaining FAs or internal options. 

If someone rang up and offered a crazy good SP+prospect(s) for Kole and guys like Saunders, Moss, Alvarez, Valbuena, Rasmus, were still out there....

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm still meh on Feliz but like all those others. Blevins, Howell, and Jim Henderson would be on my radar too. I can't imagine Eppler is content with the current pen depth.

I can't see it happening, but you never know if someone actually calls up and offers a great deal for someone like Escobar, Perez, Cron, or even Calhoun. Any of whom *could* be replaced still by remaining FAs or internal options. 

If someone rang up and offered a crazy good SP+prospect(s) for Kole and guys like Saunders, Moss, Alvarez, Valbuena, Rasmus, were still out there....

maybe, but for Kole I'd have to think Eppler would need to be blown away.  Maybe not Adam Eaton blown away, but close.  I can't imagine there are even conversations like that going on right now though.  I think a lot of teams are pretty set.  Plus, I can't see another team making a big play for Kole when those other guys you mentioned are out there and could easily provide a stop gap.  But stranger things have happened. 

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

maybe, but for Kole I'd have to think Eppler would need to be blown away.  Maybe not Adam Eaton blown away, but close.  I can't imagine there are even conversations like that going on right now though.  I think a lot of teams are pretty set.  Plus, I can't see another team making a big play for Kole when those other guys you mentioned are out there and could easily provide a stop gap.  But stranger things have happened. 

He'd be the extreme for sure - likelier something like that comes up for Escobar or Perez, but again, never really know. I just like trying to brew up wild but realistic ideas so it's not the same discussion every thread.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If the Angels got Valbuena he would probably take Marte's spot, not Pennington's. Marte has options so they could do that and stash him at AAA and just have more depth. 

Would the idea behind Valbuena be to platoon him with Espinosa primarily or possibly spell Cron, Escobar and perhaps Maybin around the diamond? Luis has primarily hit RHP well over his career but LHP not so much (last year being an exception). Would be interesting, the depth would be pretty solid across the board. I actually thought Marte wouldn't start the year anyway considering the team usually carries an 8th bullpen guy. It seems like with Revere, Pennington, and Perez their bench is covered no? Is Pennington going to be dealt in favor of Valbuena? Hypothetically if Simmons got injured Espinosa just slides over and Valbuena picks up his regular duties at 2B (or Cowart or Fontana get called up one or the other).

It would add a lot of versatility to the lineup. Escobar gets hurt, move Valbuena over. Simmons gets hurt move Espinosa over and Valbuena fills 2B. Cron gets hurt, Valbuena takes over. I can dig that. Not to mention Luis is one of the most patient hitters in baseball last year. Averaged 4.35 pitches per PA. Good OBP from both sides.

EDIT: Realizes that this has been discussed ad nauseum above lol.

Are we just waiting until spring gets closer to snag a reliever or two or does Eppler really expect this team to be able to compete with this bullpen? We have had one of the worst bullpens the past few years yet we aren't doing squat to fix it outside of Bailey who had a nice run but who knows what to expect out of him this year. I hope we aren't assuming Street will be back to his old self.