• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

According to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, the Angels have had preliminary talks with free agent infielder Stephen Drew.

Fletcher notes, however, that Drew is "one of many candidates" the Angels are considering to boost their infield depth. Drew hit well for the Nationals this summer over 165 plate appearances (.864 OPS), but it has been years since he's been a reliable player in an everyday role. Drew will turn 34 years old next March.

Just now, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Not super excited by Drew. I feel like he has stolen a lot of money from some teams over the years. 

Yeah, he's like my last resort. I don't think we'll improve much over this past season if we sign him.

Though sometimes these guys just bloom real late in their career and he did have a good season with the Nats last season. 

I still think Harrison is the way to go. Offensively he can't be any worse than what we've been running out there, but the defense will be greatly improved, and there is offensive upside still. It may not show up in his slash line, but the frequency in which he puts the ball in play and his speed will add to his value.

When you consider our roster needs for this year and next year, he makes even more sense. He provides back-up this season at 3B, LF, and SS (remember when we played Simmons, Pennington, Ryan, and Petit all over the span of about two weeks?) and he keeps us from having to acquire a 2B again next year - not to mention he could be an option next year for us at 3B, LF, or replacing Cliff in the UT role. 

As it stands, Eppler is going to have a ton of roster turnover in about a year. We'll need at least two pen arms for Street and Bailey, a 3B, a LF, probably a 4th OF, someone to replace Cliff at UT IF. Marte can fill a role, but it'll open another need on the bench for a corner-infielder. Harrison would address some of that need now.

There's a new CBa.  Rosters will not expand past 25.  September call ups are still the same.  It's the same 5-year pact.  Only difference right now is that the Luxury Tax will jump from 185 million to 195 million, and then rise up to 210 million later on.  There will be 60-70 penalties for teams that go north of 250 million.

You mean to tell me they've been bickering at each other for this freakin' long just to make no changes beyond raising the luxury a few million dollars?  There better be some new information that comes out later about an international draft, or draft pick trades or compensation picks adjustment.  Otherwise, that was pretty much a waste of time reading all those articles about changes coming on the horizon and potential lockouts. 

I like Harrison, my money is still on Jace Peterson, but believe it or not, I wouldn't mind Stephen Srew as long as he's being paid for what he gives you, which is a half season of good production in the middle infield. If the team really doesn't want a long term commitment, wants to focus on defense and versatility and is looking to save money, Stephen Drew is a pretty dang good option.

He isn't a long term answer, but he covers you for at least one more year until you can develop or find a suitable answer. If you can get Drew for 1 year 7 million, that'd work.

3 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:

I wouldn't mind signing Utley on a one year deal

On this team he probably makes the most sense for 2nd base.  His signing won't block a major league ready prospect and won't cost a lot of money.  Sure I would love to have a long term solution, but there are none in free agency and we don't have the pieces to acquire an impact young 2nd baseman without crippling another position, or severely impacting the farm.  Bottom line is we need a major league 2nd baseman and he's that.  

12 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

There's a new CBa.  Rosters will not expand past 25.  September call ups are still the same.  It's the same 5-year pact.  Only difference right now is that the Luxury Tax will jump from 185 million to 195 million, and then rise up to 210 million later on.  There will be 60-70 penalties for teams that go north of 250 million.

You mean to tell me they've been bickering at each other for this freakin' long just to make no changes beyond raising the luxury a few million dollars?  There better be some new information that comes out later about an international draft, or draft pick trades or compensation picks adjustment.  Otherwise, that was pretty much a waste of time reading all those articles about changes coming on the horizon and potential lockouts. 

Yeah, but with these things, sometimes it's about planting a seed. I'd imagine that expanding rosters to 26, the international draft, and completely eliminating comp picks will come sooner or later. I think the reason why more change didn't happen now is that everyone (just about) is making $. No need to rock the boat when the boat is a yacht and everyone is rich and happy. 

I'd still like to see them to try and bring in either a good 4th OF who could project as a starting LF next year, or an infielder who could take over at 2B this year, or even 3B next year. Someone with some versatility. We'll have a lot of needs next offseason to and it'd help get a head start. Dietrich or Harrison make sense in that regard.

They don't really fill the ideal need for '17, but either would be great depth or a back-up option at those positions should we fail to find an improvement next offseason.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

On this team he probably makes the most sense for 2nd base.  His signing won't block a major league ready prospect and won't cost a lot of money.  Sure I would love to have a long term solution, but there are none in free agency and we don't have the pieces to acquire an impact young 2nd baseman without crippling another position, or severely impacting the farm.  Bottom line is we need a major league 2nd baseman and he's that.  

Plus, he could be a useful trade chip come the deadline....

6 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:

Plus, he could be a useful trade chip come the deadline....

I think that should be the next focus. If we can't sign or acquire long-term pieces, focus on as many cheap vets who possess tools coveted by playoff contenders and have high tradeability. We won't get top prospects back at the deadline, but even if we refill the system with fringey prospects like the type Dipoto dealt away, guys like Geltz, Stamets, Clevinger, Sappington, it'll help fill out the farm.

23 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

This ^^^^

Youth please!

Claude this isn't the normal you and me shit, but who is this youth?  How do you acquire this youth without giving up your talent to get the youth?  Signing a guy like this allows you to keep the farm, allow those guys to develop, especially since by all reports we have zero 2nd base prospects minus Fletcher, and we have been given no indication that he will be ready any time soon.  A one year deal for someone like this doesn't prevent any future signings at all, nor does it prevent some deserving young player from a starting role.  Now if we didn't sign a guy like Utley and started a guy like Pennington, and that money allowed us to solve another position long term then ok.  But I don't see that being the case either, unless it went towards a Turner or Nova type signing.  I understand that you are against mega deals, and you seem to be against spending money on a guy like Turner because of your perception of where the team is compared to a team like the Cubs, but what is the harm of a one year deal for a 2nd baseman, when your alternative is a guy like Pennington?