• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official MLB Hot Stove Thread (no Angels rumors or news here)

Docwaukee

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

In the thread summarizing Eppler's comments to season ticket holders he said something along the lines of spending right up to the point that it doesn't cost them players/picks.

I think it's safe to say we won't sign anyone who will cost a draft pick this year.

the pool money is also important.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

the pool money is also important.  

Yeah, this past draft they spent right up to the last dollar. Eppler said they were comfortable doing that as well. 

That leads me to think they aren't terribly concerned with going over the luxury tax, as long as it's something they can rein back in within a year or two. Tells me they intend on spending again on the next draft right up to the threshold, and that they will be very unlikely to sign any players that cost them a pick. 

I also think when the Baldoquin restrictions lift they will spend some money, but be careful to avoid getting hit with penalties, and if they do decide to incur those penalties again, they'll spend to make the most of it. I can't imagine the infrastructure and scouting is in place yet, so I bet they stay conservative on Latin spending for at least another year or two, unless a very special crop of prospects present themselves.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, this past draft they spent right up to the last dollar. Eppler said they were comfortable doing that as well. 

That leads me to think they aren't terribly concerned with going over the luxury tax, as long as it's something they can rein back in within a year or two. Tells me they intend on spending again on the next draft right up to the threshold, and that they will be very unlikely to sign any players that cost them a pick. 

I also think when the Baldoquin restrictions lift they will spend some money, but be careful to avoid getting hit with penalties, and if they do decide to incur those penalties again, they'll spend to make the most of it. I can't imagine the infrastructure and scouting is in place yet, so I bet they stay conservative on Latin spending for at least another year or two, unless a very special crop of prospects present themselves.

I disagree with the highlighted sentence.  I don't think there is any way we are going near the luxury tax.  Last year was the year to do it.  If they weren't going to then, I don't think they will now.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I disagree with the highlighted sentence.  I don't think there is any way we are going near the luxury tax.  Last year was the year to do it.  If they weren't going to then, I don't think they will now.  

Last year we did do it. When we signed Lincecum, it put us right at or over the luxury tax. 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/angels-on-pace-to-incur-luxury-tax-after-lincecum-signing.html

Again, Eppler said they were fine paying penalties right up the point where it cost them players. It was in relation to the amateur draft and international signees, but there is probably a similar mindset in regards  to the luxury tax. I think their concern is signing a big name to a long deal that locks them into being right at the threshold for several years, rather than going over for a year or two.

I think Eppler held off spending last year purely because he felt the team wasn't going to be fixed by spending big on FAs in one offseason. He wanted to get payroll down to a level where he had far more flexibility.

2 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

MLB Trade Rumors has come out with their annual list of 50 top free agents and where they think they'll go. They predict the Angels will sign Nova, Hundley, and Utley, but could possibly be in on many others.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/2016-17-top-50-mlb-free-agents-predictions.html

I think that's realistic. Not quite what I'd prefer, but realistic.

We so badly need another bat that can hit 20+ home runs if we're going to be competitive this season.

Cespedes, Turner and even Desmond intrigues me. However as stated in the other thread I think the Maybin deal and Escobar option being picked up shows Eppler'a cards this offseason. Expect another season very similar to lasts. Another wasted year of Trout's career.

15 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

We so badly need another bat that can hit 20+ home runs if we're going to be competitive this season.

Cespedes, Turner and even Desmond intrigues me. However as stated in the other thread I think the Maybin deal and Escobar option being picked up shows Eppler'a cards this offseason. Expect another season very similar to lasts. Another wasted year of Trout's career.

I don't agree.  I would love to have Turner, but with him getting a QO, that isn't going to happen.  I like power hitters but if you keep building a team with OBP you will still get the runs needed to win games.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I don't agree.  I would love to have Turner, but with him getting a QO, that isn't going to happen.  I like power hitters but if you keep building a team with OBP you will still get the runs needed to win games.  

I've always valued OBP and that's why I like Turner (.339) and YC (.354). Both are capable of hitting for power and Turner especially has always had a more than respectable OBP.

Last years .354 was a career high for YC but his OBP has been inclining each year for the past 4 seasons after taking a dip from his rookie season. 

But I'm guessing you're right about us wanting to keep our 2nd rounder. Imo it's too bad because I really don't think we're too far off with being able to field a competitive team. 

Unless we find a taker for Escobar and his $6 million then there is no way we are going after Turner.  Now if we were to say screw it and sign Turner to play 2nd base, that would be awesome.  I just don't see it happening.  I think we will sign a one year or possibly two year rental to play 2nd base.  

Offensively, the Angels were average last season - basically right in the middle in terms of runs scored, higher on average and OBP but lower in power/SLG.  The ultimate reason they didn't make the playoffs was their pitching with long stretches of starts filled with mediocre players and with most of any effective BP pitchers injured.  With Maybin's acquisition and Escobar's re-signing, you give them some offensive certainty and, now, the focus has to be pitching with priority to the BP.

Fletcher mentioned Cesar Hernandez may be a trade target as well, and I think he'd be a fantastic get. He'd cost a bit but I feel he'd be worth it. .350 career OBP, .371 last season. Switch-hitter, 27 years old. 

Derek Dietrich may also be shipped, .338 career OBP and .374 last season. Also 27, hits left-handed. Not as good defensively. Also plays 3B and LF. 

Brett Lawrie is a non-tender candidate, OBP is much lower (career .315 OBP) but a little more pop and capable of playing 3B too. Scooter Gennett fits this mold too (.318 career OBP) with a little less defensive versatility and pop, but both are guys available potentially cheap or as non-tenders.

Valbuena hasn't played second much, but he's got quite a bit of pop and a .326 OBP last three seasons, including a .357 mark last season. He'd probably come at a reasonable price, but not sure how much of a 2B he is these days.

Rounding out possibilities at second are cheap, one-year vets. Utley (.316  OBP last year), Stephen Drew (.339 OBP last year), Kelly Johnson (.306 OBP total, but .328 with the Mets), and Aaron Hill (.336 OBP total, .359 with Milwaukee) are all options too.

Angels 2B had a .275 OBP last season. Right there with a .271 mark in LF. I do think prioritizing OBP at second would be just as beneficial as targeting power elsewhere. Cron, Calhoun, Trout, Marte, and Pujols provide enough for now. Even our catchers combined for 17 HR last year. 

32 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

May be I am just being a pessimist, but I think we can actually contend for a wild card and even an AL West title next year. If Richards comes back healthy and our rotation can stay somewhat healthy, then we have a shot. If you remember, we were hot several times in the second half last year and finished our last ten games with an 8-2 record.  Just getting Richards and Shoemaker back, along with now having Maybin, markedly improves our roster over what we were trotting out on the field in the second half. Now imaging we sign someone like Holland and Sean Rodriguez to platoon with Cowart, and take a flier on someone like CJ Wilson on a one year show me deal ( this amount of spending is what I see as likely from our front office). Or even if we spend alittle more and sign one of the top reliever (Chapman, Jansen, Melancon), and/or a Neil's Walker, and/or a starter like Hill then we really have a chance to make an impact this season. I think we are a lot closer than people think.  Our Farm system is still bad. But it is coming along. We now actually have prospect that we can get excited for, and we have a protected #10 pick to see what Eppler can make of it. I remember back to 2002 when we were not supposed to be better than .500 and everyone knows how that year turned out, and that was without Trout and with a similar rotation. This year may we may be better than people think. And I can't wait for this upcoming season. 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Fletcher mentioned Cesar Hernandez may be a trade target as well, and I think he'd be a fantastic get. He'd cost a bit but I feel he'd be worth it. .350 career OBP, .371 last season. Switch-hitter, 27 years old. 

Saw that. Slap hitting type 2B has Sosh written all over it. 

I'd be all for a guy like Hernandez as he has some speed and a nice OBP. But being only 26 (turns 27 may of next year) and on the upclimb I have to think he may be out of our price range (prospect wise). 

If we added Hernandez like I said above I'd love to find a way to get another bat in the lineup.

Trade Cron move Calhoun to first and sign a outfielder or trade Escobar and sign Turner. 

It was also tweeted today somewhere (I can try in find it) that Ramos may be able to catch by May and that he may take a lesser contract so he can improve his value again. What would you think about Ramos if ready by may? Our April track record doesn't help but if we're not going to break the bank...

12 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Saw that. Slap hitting type 2B has Sosh written all over it. 

I'd be all for a guy like Hernandez as he has some speed and a nice OBP. But being only 26 (turns 27 may of next year) and on the upclimb I have to think he may be out of our price range (prospect wise). 

If we added Hernandez like I said above I'd love to find a way to get another bat in the lineup.

Trade Cron move Calhoun to first and sign a outfielder or trade Escobar and sign Turner. 

It was also tweeted today somewhere (I can try in find it) that Ramos may be able to catch by May and that he may take a lesser contract so he can improve his value again. What would you think about Ramos if ready by may? Our April track record doesn't help but if we're not going to break the bank...

Much more interested in Ramos now that he didn't receive a QO, but I can't see us being interested unless we move Cron first, and I don't think Cron is being moved unless someone blows us away on an offer. I don't think his value is high enough to trade him. 

Signing a Castro, Avila, Saltalamacchia, Hundley type is more likely the way we'd address catcher.

Think it'd take very unusual circumstances for Calhoun to move to first and another major OF come into the fold. 

3 hours ago, Mark68 said:

MLB Trade Rumors has come out with their annual list of 50 top free agents and where they think they'll go. They predict the Angels will sign Nova, Hundley, and Utley, but could possibly be in on many others.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/2016-17-top-50-mlb-free-agents-predictions.html

But yet, no relievers 

Only down side for Cesar Hernandez was his CS% soaring from 21% to 43% in 2016.

He won't hit a lot of XBH's (although leading the NL in triples in 2016), but like Maybin has decent/solid plate discipline.   They would set the table well for Trout, Pujols, Calhoun, and Cron.

I imagine though that it would take a fair bit to acquire him.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Only down side for Cesar Hernandez was his CS% soaring from 21% to 43% in 2016.

He won't hit a lot of XBH's (although leading the NL in triples in 2016), but like Maybin has decent/solid plate discipline.   They would set the table well for Trout, Pujols, Calhoun, and Cron.

I imagine though that it would take a fair bit to acquire him.

I'm not worried too much about his CS% - I'd like for him to be a basestealer as we've not really had much basestealing threats recently, but at the same time, it's not like he'd be expected to be a big SB threat. 

His .350 career OBP would be a massive improvement over last year's .275 2B OBP. 

Fletch surmised it'd take a top prospect - Nate Smith or Jaime Barria or such. I'd move Smith for him in a heartbeat. Klentak is familiar enough with our system he'd maybe have some guys on his radar too.

A cheap, switch-hitting 27-year old 2B with good OBP skills addresses that position for a couple years, and keeps us from paying $12m+ multiple years or a 30+ vet. Frees up that money for pitching.

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Would they be able to do say Smith or Barria, and Sherman Johnson, for Hernandez, if needed?

Throw in an agreement where, if we decide to trade Trout in a couple years, Klentak has the option to top the final offer. ;)

Hernandez would be a fantastic fit. He's young, cheap, established, and talented enough to hold that position for a few years. I would listen to a trade with him involving virtually any prospect not named Jahmai Jones.

22 hours ago, totdprods said:

Rule V is a perfect way to basically buy some guys into the upper minors, and considering we have nothing in the AA/AAA outfield depth chart, if they didn't spend money on a 4th OF I'd be perfectly content with them trying to find someone Rule V. Joey Rickard, Delino DeShields, Odubel Herrera...all taken in last couple of years and any one of them would be a great 4th OF with potential for more.

I think we are also higher in the Rule V draft order too.

You don't buy them into the upper minors! Rule V guys have to stay on the Major League roster the entire season. If not then they must be sent back to their original club or a trade can then be made at which point the former RULE V guy can then be sent down if he has options left otherwise he must go through the WAIVER process.