• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official MLB Hot Stove Thread (no Angels rumors or news here)

Docwaukee

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Angels signed an interesting minor league pitcher today - Osmer Morales.
Had been in the M's system, got as high as A+. Only 23 years olf, 6'3", 200 lbs., RHP. 
In 115 games (plus 30 starts mostly in the last two seasons) over his career he has a 2.96 ERA during 328 IP with a WHIP of 1.14. 

He's been extremely consistent; these numbers from his career line haven't varied much year to year: 8.0 H/9, 0.5 HR/9, 2.4 BB/9, and 10.2 K/9.

Eppler is busy! 

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Had been in the M's system, got as high as A+. Only 23 years olf, 6'3", 200 lbs., RHP. 
In 115 games (plus 30 starts mostly in the last two seasons) over his career he has a 2.96 ERA during 328 IP with a WHIP of 1.14. 

He's been extremely consistent; these numbers from his career line haven't varied much year to year: 8.0 H/9, 0.5 HR/9, 2.4 BB/9, and 10.2 K/9.

why would a guy with those numbers be available? 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

He hit the maximum amount of time before he was eligible for minor league free agency. Either the Mariners were comfortable letting him walk or underestimated his market, or the Angels were aggressive or offered better money and opportunity.

Scotty or one of the MILB guys may have a better idea on how their free agency system works.

Seems like a quality pick up though.

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

so how come he's available?

here's hoping he pitches well in our system and can be serviceable down the road.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He hit the maximum amount of time before he was eligible for minor league free agency. Either the Mariners were comfortable letting him walk or underestimated his market, or the Angels were aggressive or offered better money and opportunity.

Scotty or one of the MILB guys may have a better idea on how their free agency system works.

We are unique in that we have so little minor league depth, particularly upper minor league depth, that we can find a spot for a guy like this if Eppler and the scouts really like him....at least until we re-build the system, we can take chances on guys like this since we aren't exactly stacked with prospects we are protecting....

1 minute ago, Tank said:

so how come he's available?

here's hoping he pitches well in our system and can be serviceable down the road.

See above.

Also, sometimes teams just straight up overlook things. I think we accidentally waived Warner Madrigal once or something of the sort.

In terms of a prospect, he seems like he fits in the same tier as the guy we got for Joe Smith. 

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Shit...

******** CAUTION ****************** CAUTION ************

buddy of mine drives for uber and just gave walker and his wife a ride yesterday, somewhere near ventura. He asked walker about signing with the halos and walker told my friend larry "when it came to money they didn't act like they really wanted him." but he's open to it happening next year when he's a free agent again.

there, i've had my troll glaus moment for the day. you may resume your regular programming.

Just now, Tank said:

******** CAUTION ****************** CAUTION ************

buddy of mine drives for uber and just gave walker and his wife a ride yesterday, somewhere near ventura. He asked walker about signing with the halos and walker told my friend larry "when it came to money they didn't act like they really wanted him." but he's open to it happening next year when he's a free agent again.

there, i've had my troll glaus moment for the day. you may resume your regular programming.

Oh yeah, Troll Glaus. Now known as @SigBaby

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

See above.

Also, sometimes teams just straight up overlook things. I think we accidentally waived Warner Madrigal once or something of the sort.

In terms of a prospect, he seems like he fits in the same tier as the guy we got for Joe Smith. 

thanks. i was typing my question before i read your response. thanks, obama!

59 minutes ago, totdprods said:

thanks.

MILB nerds, care to jump in here? 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

seriously? I had no idea 

Yep. We had quite a few name changes once we moved from our last forum software to this one. 

I should start a thread to have everyone post their old handles so we can identify everyone who changed their screen names. 

Heck, I had a few people PM me asking where IEBRUIN was. lol

I said, he's now Lou. (though you've always been). 

Hi, I'm Blarg.

Carry on.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yep. We had quite a few name changes once we moved from our last forum software to this one. 

I should start a thread to have everyone post their old handles so we can identify everyone who changed their screen names. 

Heck, I had a few people PM me asking where IEBRUIN was. lol

I said, he's now Lou. (though you've always been). 

17 hours ago, Lou said:

Found this on a Mariner site:

RHP Osmer Morales, 6’3?, 180 lbs, 10/30/1992
(A): 0-0, 7 G, 3 SV, 0.63 ERA in 14.1 IP, 10 H (HR), R, 16/2 K/BB, HB
(A+): 5-6, 25 G (14 GS), CG, SV, 3.69 ERA in 102.1 IP, 101 H (7 HR), 44 R (42 ER), 118/25 K/BB, 4 HB, BK, 5 WP
Pros: Components trending in the right direction, full arsenal of pitches
Cons: High-80s heater?

So, Morales again? We have slightly more data on the fellow this time around, and whereas last season he had a 24.1 K% and a 6.5 BB% in Clinton, this season we were looking at a 27.8 K% and a 5.8 BB% in Bako. The wacky thing about it all is that he actually fared better as a starter, with a .228/.278/.351 line against, relative to his work as a reliever, which had him with a .302/.347/.424 line against. There are some weird blips in the profile though. One is that he was mentioned in the league chat over at BA where it was revealed that he only throws in the high-80s. The second is that there’s nearly a 200-point OPS difference between when he faces RHB or LHB, and it’s unfavorable to the lefties. I’ve read a bit on him and it seems to praise his breaking pitches over his change-up, but regardless, RHP with reverse splits aren’t a hot commodity, even if they can start a bit.