• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A-Rod: "Joe Maddon was the Angels' mastermind."

ABC

Agreed. I remember saying that about 5-10 years ago and so many people wanted to go to war over how little I thought a baseball manager does.

Actually, maybe it was more recent because I feel like I mentioned the coach getting Pujols or Howie to GIDP, but many thought the coach actually made professional hitters better or worse, blew my mind.

10 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I like Maddon a lot more than Scioscia.  More fun at parties, etc...

But this is a silly take.  

People really own this opinion.  It is totally fine to like Maddon more than Scioscia, but people can do that without discrediting what Scioscia has done.  

3 hours ago, Nebula said:

I agree with A Rod. Scioscia is a joke! Joe Maddon is the real reason why this team won. Sosh is old fashion, game has pass him by, I don't know why he is still a coach in this league. He got Dipoto fired for a lousy GM in Eppler

Why is Eppler a lousy GM?  Because he had limited spending power compared to Dipoto?  Judging him on one year?  Please explain, this outta be good....

10 hours ago, Nebula said:

I agree with A Rod. Scioscia is a joke! Joe Maddon is the real reason why this team won. Sosh is old fashion, game has pass him by, I don't know why he is still a coach in this league. He got Dipoto fired for a lousy GM in Eppler

Why didn't the team win the previous years when Maddon was a coach before Scioscia arrived? He was part of the coaching staff the year of the collapse 1995 when the Angels blew a huge 11 game lead. He was also on that bench when the Angels had the meltdown in 1999 that resulted in about the entire coaching and front office being replaced. 

As for Dipoto,  he created more long term problems for the Angels minor leagues and parent club than Reagins did. Your assessment of Eppler is nebulous. 

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

I like how now we are supposed to respect Arod and his opinion.  If anything I feel more validated in my belief that Scioscia is a solid manager.  

If Scioscia is such a solid manager in your eyes, would you be agreeable to another extension of his contract, say for five years?

Just wondering...

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Every manager looks a whole lot better with a whole lot better team. Maddon looks great with an entire All Star roster at his disposal. Didn't look so great when he was managing a depleted Rays roster. 

All those all star rosters he had with TB that got him into the playoffs...

Scioscia's assistants were obviously what made him good.  As soon as they all got managing jobs the Angels went to crap.

`I think this is sort of unfair.  Baseball manager - the most vastly overrated job in sports.  

14 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

If Scioscia is such a solid manager in your eyes, would you be agreeable to another extension of his contract, say for five years?

Just wondering...

also, even though u didn't ask me i'm going to answer anyway.  Yes, i'd be just fine with giving Scioscia another contract. 

10 hours ago, Nebula said:

You're not allowed to troll here ... sorry

Troll Daddy

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

`I think this is sort of unfair.  Baseball manager - the most vastly overrated job in sports.  

also, even though u didn't ask me i'm going to answer anyway.  Yes, i'd be just fine with giving Scioscia another contract. 

How about ten years? How about lifetime? He can be like Connie Mack and manage until he's ninety.

7 minutes ago, nate said:

All those all star rosters he had with TB that got him into the playoffs...

Scioscia's assistants were obviously what made him good.  As soon as they all got managing jobs the Angels went to crap.

You mean as soon as his roster went to crap, the same with Maddon. Joe had some pretty good teams based on a 10 year run of 1st round picks to develop. Once the team had success, lost those early draft picks the Rays started to phase out and Joe bailed on his contract for the Cubs that not only had a bunch of All Stars on the rise but management willing to throw money at the roster.

As someone else said, Maddon had the good fortune to work under Stoneman, Friedman and now Epstein. Three GM's that could build winning teams. Nice to see him getting his best shot at a world series ring managing at age 62, 14 years after he got one as a bench coach.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

You mean as soon as his roster went to crap, the same with Maddon. Joe had some pretty good teams based on a 10 year run of 1st round picks to develop. Once the team had success, lost those early draft picks the Rays started to phase out and Joe bailed on his contract for the Cubs that not only had a bunch of All Stars on the rise but management willing to throw money at the roster.

As someone else said, Maddon had the good fortune to work under Stoneman, Friedman and now Epstein. Three GM's that could build winning teams. Nice to see him getting his best shot at a world series ring managing at age 62, 14 years after he got one as a bench coach.

Scioscia is still waiting, and Maddon's rosters were always inferior and he made more with them.

Francona is by far the best of the bunch though.

15 minutes ago, nate said:

LOL...   So explain how they all came back except for Maddon and they had their worst season under MS..    Or you could tell us why if he's such a genius, the Rays were knocked out in the DS every year except for the year they went to and lost the WS.   Sound familiar?   

Those Rays teams had better players than people realized -- the pitching staffs were typically very stout. 

9 minutes ago, nate said:

Scioscia is still waiting, and Maddon's rosters were always inferior and he made more with them.

You not being able to separate good players from names you recognize doesn't mean they were inferior.    Evan Longoria, Rocco Baldelli, Carl Crawford, Melvin Upton when he was still considered an up and coming star, Ben Zobrist, John Jaso, Carlos Pena....    Matt Garza, James Shields, pre-meltdown Kazmir.... David Price.

That first playoff team had better talent that you remember,.