• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Shoemaker is fun

Oz27

Shoemaker bailed this franchise out in 2014, and he's the best pitcher story for this club again in 2016.  I doubt he will go anywhere on a team starved for pitchers at the moment.  If we get real lucky this year, we may have Shoemaker, Santiago, Skaggs, Weaver, and Richards in September.  That might make things interesting for a wild card spot.  The next ten days are critical.  We face three tough opponents fighting for playoff space, 6 of 10 away games; win 7/10 and we could be only 5 games under .500 with two full months to go, and hopefully Cron back in September.  If we start losing again, then I predict the trades will fall, and we will be going through the motions until next year.  The finish to July is BIG.

Here are some more...

Before this year, only five Angels starters had recorded a month where their strikeout to walk ratio was 9 or better (including only guys who made at least three starts in that month). Matt Shoemaker did that in both May and June.

In 13 straight starts, Matt Shoemaker has walked two batters or less. That's the 10th longest such streak in Angels history but of course it's still going, so he could blaze past a few more people. However he is still a hell of a long way behind the record holder, Dan Haren, who did it in 31 (!) straight starts.

Shoemaker has been particularly effective at home this year, where his K/BB rate is 7.56 for the entire season (so including the first month when he was terrible). Nobody who made more than three starts at Angel Stadium in a season has ever topped that rate.

So yeah, the dude throws a shit ton of strikes and hitters have struggled to do much with them. He's fun.

@PercySquint told me his favorite,  most fun AngelsWin Fanfest was when we had Arte, Matt Shoemaker, Jerome Williams, Kole Calhoun and literally everyone in the Angels FO there. 

Arte made them all come up and say hello and give a little about themselves. 

It. Was. Epic. 

If you were there, you know. We had 125+ that night at the Doubletree banquet room.

Funny story...

@Geoff @Brian Ilten @Blarg & @Bruce Nye did not know who our special guest was from my friend Tim Mead until hours before the event.

Yeah, @Chuckster70 told me at the Angels game that day that "we got Artie!"  I was so excited.  Then he said, "And you're interviewing him."  

Gulp.

Left to go back to the hotel to try to put questions together.  Got to the event, and Saltzer hands me 142 pages of questions that he'd written to ask.  LOL

Best fanfest ever! 

Totally agree Geoff, it was the best one ever.  Arte talked for over an hour as I remember.  You guys did great with the questions all the special guests were great.  I liked the part about Mike Digiovanna telling us he couldn't get Arte for more than 20 minutes on a really good day, but you guys got him for an hour, LOL.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

@PercySquint told me his favorite,  most fun AngelsWin Fanfest was when we had Arte, Matt Shoemaker, Jerome Williams, Kole Calhoun and literally everyone in the Angels FO there. 

It. Was. Epic. 

If you were there, you know. We had 125+ that night at the Doubletree banquet room.

Funny story...

@Geoff @Brian Ilten @Blarg & @Bruce Nye did not know who our special guest was from my friend Tim Mead until hours before the event.

A25F doesn't post enough 

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

It. Was. Epic. 

Funny story...

The most memorable line of the night came from Arte: I used to shoot at guys like you in Vietnam.

miss you, Percy.

15 hours ago, tomsred said:

Totally agree Geoff, it was the best one ever.  Arte talked for over an hour as I remember.  You guys did great with the questions all the special guests were great.  I liked the part about Mike Digiovanna telling us he couldn't get Arte for more than 20 minutes on a really good day, but you guys got him for an hour, LOL.

Man.... It's a toss for me between that fanfest and the Tim Salmon one, plus I know he's hated here now, but Jerry Dipoto's first of three with us. Kole Calhoun, Randal Grichuk, Travis Witherspoon and the round table media was incredible with big Joe McDonnell (RIP), Victor Rojas, Jeff Fletcher, Alden Gonzalez and Mike DiGiovanna. 

What a great night that was. Both nights.