• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rays send Hank Conger down to AAA

Taylor

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/16986542/tampa-bay-rays-send-struggling-c-hank-conger-triple-durham

Bummer. He was hitting below the Mendoza (Mathis?) line before being sent down.

Always liked the dude. He seemed like he had a good attitude and was a good teammate. He was also an Asian named "Hank," which was cool.

16 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Except Conger can't field or throw anyone out.

yeah i'd rather have Perez. i said they were comparable because they both can't seem to hit their weight and were both recently demoted. but yes, Perez seems like a better defensive catcher. No clue what the Astros were thinking on that trade.

saw this -- always liked Conger -- was glad that he got his chance with Houston last year and seemingly played well but then he winds up at Tampa Bay this year.

I thought Carlos Perez was an upgrade over Conger both offensively and defensively and now Carlos Perez gets sent out by the Halos as well (about a week ago).

Conger a Huntington Beach High product was a fairly high draft pick for the Halos -- I can still remember watching his first 'Halos' interview from the broadcast booth at the Big A right after he got drafted and was about to report to Rookie League.

Conger, with the Halos, wasn't that great defensively but seemed to have some promise offensively -- sadly he was never able to really master MLB pitching and as pointed out in an earlier post was below the Mendoza line when sent out.......he will likely be back up with the Rays August 1 as MLB teams can always use extra catchers in August/ September. Hope he does well at AAA and then is able to show some production in August/ September enough to impress the Rays or some other MLB team for next year.

Always liked the guy.

8 hours ago, Justabitoutside said:

Remember when a bunch of posters thought Conger was a great catcher but his only problem that jerk Scioscia didn't like him and was holding him back? Good times.

Yep, this has been the case with every catcher we have brought up since Napoli.  Admittedly Napoli is Scioscia biggest mistake.  Scioscia should have been able to see the value of Napoli even if it wasn't behind the plate.  

16 hours ago, WallyWorld said:

yeah i'd rather have Perez. i said they were comparable because they both can't seem to hit their weight and were both recently demoted. but yes, Perez seems like a better defensive catcher. No clue what the Astros were thinking on that trade.

Pitch framing...  They paid hard for a sabermetric principle.  

BTW -- remember last year when Iannetta suddenly became a master pitch framer and apparently lost the ability to hit?   He decided the hitting was better..  He's back to being a shitty pitch framer but he's hitting more like he did his first few years in Anaheim.

if he ever has a season where he both hits and frames well -- that team will be stoked.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yep, this has been the case with every catcher we have brought up since Napoli.  Admittedly Napoli is Scioscia biggest mistake.  Scioscia should have been able to see the value of Napoli even if it wasn't behind the plate.  

He did see the value in trading Conger to the Astros.