• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2016-17 LA Kings Thread

nando714

8 minutes ago, Tank said:

so AO, what did you think of seeing mcdavid in person last night? think we could trade nolan and shore straight up to get him from the oil?

Plan to steal star Edmonton Oilers Center.

Step one: Hook up McDavid with a hot aspiring Hollywood actress. Or actor. Or both. We don't judge.
Step two: They get married
Step three: They demand to live in LA year round to further their career.
Step four: Graciously offer Edmonton a "fair" trade
Step five: Profit

Emotional day yesterday. Nice for the Kings to win though the Hawks at the very least let up near the end and possibly quite intentionally gave the Kings a solid on their home ice. But the score wasn't really the important part.

thought i'd take a look at eBay this morning to see if i could find one of the thank you bob signs. found one for $40 (haven't bought it yet). also found a couple of thank you bob game pucks and t-shirts. it's clear that people have priced these things with their kids' college fund in mind.

http://www.tsn.ca/kings-fire-sutter-lombardi-promote-robitaille-blake-1.721029

The Los Angeles Kings have made sweeping changes to their management.

The team has fired general manager Dean Lombardi and head coach Darryl Sutter.

The Kings also announce that team legends Luc Robitaille and Rob Blake have been promoted to president and general manager, respectively.

Man, and I thought the Ducks were tough last year firing their coach.  But at least those two got you two cups.  And while I can see the Sutter firing, it was even rumored last season.  Plus it almost seemed like he just wasn't fully committed anymore.  Lombardi built you the teams. 

Do Kings fans forget what it was like pre these two guys? 

I don't think Sutter really wanted to come back this last season but Lombardi got him to by giving him a sweetheart contract.  Lombardi had to know his time with or without Sutter was on thin ice, especially if Robitaille was after his job, so no time to bring in a new coach. Sutter would have retired after this season but yeah, five million.

one wonders why they think Rob Blake is a good guy to rebuild.  sure as hell hasn't worked with Sakic in Colorado.  I think getting rid of Sutter was the right move.  The guy is diametrically opposing to developing young players on the big club.  The Kings need to get young, and this season especially the last two or three weeks it was really exposed that he was not going to be the guy to do that.  Not the guy for the job, bottom line.  I'm surprised that they didn't give Lombardi a bit more rope though.  Hard to believe that he wouldn't stick around without Sutter. 

4 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

one wonders why they think Rob Blake is a good guy to rebuild.  sure as hell hasn't worked with Sakic in Colorado.  I think getting rid of Sutter was the right move.  The guy is diametrically opposing to developing young players on the big club.  The Kings need to get young, and this season especially the last two or three weeks it was really exposed that he was not going to be the guy to do that.  Not the guy for the job, bottom line.  I'm surprised that they didn't give Lombardi a bit more rope though.  Hard to believe that he wouldn't stick around without Sutter. 

Gravel, Forbort, LaDue, Pearson, King, Kempe, Dowd, Shore . . . You sure about your "young guys aren't developed" theory?

5 hours ago, Thomas said:

I don't think Sutter really wanted to come back this last season but Lombardi got him to by giving him a sweetheart contract. . . Sutter would have retired after this season but yeah, five million.

Curious how you've heard about this. First I'm seeing/hearing it.

10 hours ago, Tank said:

Gravel, Forbort, LaDue, Pearson, King, Kempe, Dowd, Shore . . . You sure about your "young guys aren't developed" theory?

What I mean is he would have needed to coach a roster of younger players and play them in primary roles.  Never been Sutters thing.  Also, you left out probably the best one of those guys.  Toffoli.

Edited by UndertheHalo

10 hours ago, Tank said:

Curious how you've heard about this. First I'm seeing/hearing it.

It's the prevailing thinking on places like HFboards but it makes sense. He had to be convinced to leave the farm the to take the job initially. It was widely thought that Sutter might retire after his last contract expired but he signed a new deal in May. Before he signed the deal he didn't sound excited to come back but to be fair he doesn't sound excited about anything. I think it is a combination of a good part of him wanting to be retired and being with family and having the self awareness that his style of coaching (or any coaching in hockey but his more than most) has a limited shelf life. The deal was awfully generous considering it followed seasons of missing the playoffs and getting booted in 5 by the Sharks. Albeit his 1st three seasons didn't exactly suck. :P Now he is getting paid for the next season and his option. 

Wow. I respect Sutter as a coach, I would prefer him any day over Carlyle. He put together some of the best defensive teams ever, even in a down year his system made Budaj look like an NHL goalie & Budaj had sucked for many many years before joining the Kings.

but yeah the Brown & Gaby contracts did it. Are they still on the hook for Mike Richards though ?

If they were going to fire sutter anyways, i'd have hoped the Ducks offered the Kings draft picks for Sutter. Carlyle blows.

i think lombardi's most damning thing is the insane contracts given to brown and gaby, and that alone could be reason enough to give him the heave-ho. i think it also hurt him not to find a quality scorer to skate with kopitar.

sutter is a tougher call for me. he can only play the talent given to him and i thought he got the most out them most years (plus a couple of incredible accomplishments above what any of us realistically could expect). that they didn't make the playoffs two of the last three years and haven't won a playoff series since the '14 Cup probably sealed his fate. his teams were very responsible defensively and i love that he put a high price on that. what i'll miss most is his post-game press conferences. he said stuff i can only dream of saying, and didn't tolerate stupidity from anyone.