• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2016 MLB Draft Thread

Blarg

From Scout's Mock Draft 4.0

http://www.scout.com/mlb/scouting/story/1670969-scout-s-2016-mlb-mock-draft-4-0

16.   Los Angeles Angels - Bryan Reynolds, OF, Vanderbilt

1595818.jpg?w=200&h=200&fit=crop&crop=fa
Bryan Reynolds

Brentwood HSBrentwood, TN
Vanderbilt / 6'2" / 210 lbs
  • OF

I was talking to someone I respect, who knows a lot about the Angels, and has ties to the organization. He has been adamant that the Angels are looking into bats early, and would then look to see what arm would be there later. Reynolds was viewed as a possible top-10 pick as well, and is still in many top 20’s. He does a lot of things well and could be a quick mover. If the Angels are looking for a college bat early, Reynolds makes the most sense here for one of the most conservative drafting teams in the league. Buddy Reed could also go here, if they want a bit more upside.

Bryan Reynolds, of, Vanderbilt (Orleans)

The Cape is typically a pitching dominated league, but in 2015 it was very much about the position players. And, few position players come as ready made for the professional ranks as Vanderbilt star, Bryan Reynolds. He is one of the most complete baseball players not just in the Cape Cod League, but anywhere in college baseball. An above average runner who got outstanding jumps on the ball in his time as the Orleans center fielder, Reynolds is going to be a defensive asset at any level. He has center field range, and enough arm to get the job done. 

But, despite the defensive prowess, it was truly the bat, from both sides of the dish, that had him jumping off the page to scouts. Reynolds does an excellent job of using the middle of the field, and he produced some booming shots to the gap off above average stuff. He’s also proven to be among the most disciplined hitters the league has to offer, if not the most disciplined. He struck out 14 times in 81 at-bats, compared to 17 walks. Reynolds reads off-speed pitches exceptionally well, even by professional standards, and scouts believe he’s the type of hitter that will be able to advance quickly because of that.

Scouts will continue to monitor how Reynolds’ power stroke develops, but his gap to gap approach, discipline, plus speed, and defensive profile already make him a near lock for the early part of the first round next June. That feel for hitting he showed for Orleans, as well as his feel for the game make him one of the safest bets in the 2016 class.

On May 19, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Chuckster70 said:

Bryan Reynolds, of, Vanderbilt (Orleans)

The Cape is typically a pitching dominated league, but in 2015 it was very much about the position players. And, few position players come as ready made for the professional ranks as Vanderbilt star, Bryan Reynolds. He is one of the most complete baseball players not just in the Cape Cod League, but anywhere in college baseball. An above average runner who got outstanding jumps on the ball in his time as the Orleans center fielder, Reynolds is going to be a defensive asset at any level. He has center field range, and enough arm to get the job done. 

But, despite the defensive prowess, it was truly the bat, from both sides of the dish, that had him jumping off the page to scouts. Reynolds does an excellent job of using the middle of the field, and he produced some booming shots to the gap off above average stuff. He’s also proven to be among the most disciplined hitters the league has to offer, if not the most disciplined. He struck out 14 times in 81 at-bats, compared to 17 walks. Reynolds reads off-speed pitches exceptionally well, even by professional standards, and scouts believe he’s the type of hitter that will be able to advance quickly because of that.

Scouts will continue to monitor how Reynolds’ power stroke develops, but his gap to gap approach, discipline, plus speed, and defensive profile already make him a near lock for the early part of the first round next June. That feel for hitting he showed for Orleans, as well as his feel for the game make him one of the safest bets in the 2016 class.

bryans with Y are always legendary. i say go for it. plan the parade!

1 hour ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Contact who is an Angels scout said at their latest meeting they were looking for upside OF. He said he really liked Benson from back East.

Interesting, would definitely be a bit of an overdraft based on the mocks I've seen, but the guy's clearly talented. Very nice swing from the left side. I'd like to know more about his approach but he's definitely an intriguing guy. Seems like a pick Bane would've made haha

And his bat flip is already on point in this video (at the very end). Clearly weren't giving him a lot to hit

41 minutes ago, nikkachez said:

At this point, I'd be surprised if Kirilloff isn't the guy picked, but after Scotty's post, I could get used to seeing this swing. Pretty scary when you realize he'll get stronger as he matures and fills out. I think I have a new prospect crush, but I'd be happy with either one. 

Damn. Nice looking swing, but can he hit a curve?

We need more black guys on our team. Get it done, Eppy Eppster.

On May 28, 2016 at 2:09 PM, nikkachez said:

At this point, I'd be surprised if Kirilloff isn't the guy picked, but after Scotty's post, I could get used to seeing this swing. Pretty scary when you realize he'll get stronger as he matures and fills out. I think I have a new prospect crush, but I'd be happy with either one. 

Draws early comps to Jason Heyward or even Aaron Judge.  You may even hit the jackpot and find yourself a Dave Winfield there. 

I'd hate to see the Angels use the 16th pick on a guy like Reynolds. It wouldn't surprise me either, we all know how much Ric Wilson is infatuated with underwhelming low ceiling/high floor players. 

Anyway, I'd love to have Zack Collins, but doubt he's there at 16. 

On 5/18/2016 at 9:27 AM, Chuckster70 said:

I'd like to see a balance of talent, both on offense and from the pitching side. 

But one thing I do not want to see are projects, toolsy types with no plate discipline, black dudes who can hit a fastball a mile but cannot hit the curve or slappymcsmallbats who are great defensively but can't hit a for shit..

Hey, Slappy Utility Guys need LOVE too!

On 5/30/2016 at 2:30 AM, Dochalo said:

personally, I see a lot of noise in Benson's swing.  I'm sure it's fixable, but  that's as raw as raw gets in my opinion.  Short and quick to the ball but not much balance.  

Noise is such a spot on description of his swing mechanics..  There isn't a single part of his body that isn't in motion.   Both feet are moving, the legs aren't set, he rock backwards while he swings....   He's got a nice swing plane but everything else is kind of all over the place.