• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2016 MLB Draft Thread

Blarg

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Noise is such a spot on description of his swing mechanics..  There isn't a single part of his body that isn't in motion.   Both feet are moving, the legs aren't set, he rock backwards while he swings....   He's got a nice swing plane but everything else is kind of all over the place.

His hands move like crazy in his swing and most of that movement is backwards until the last second.  

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Noise is such a spot on description of his swing mechanics..  There isn't a single part of his body that isn't in motion.   Both feet are moving, the legs aren't set, he rock backwards while he swings....   He's got a nice swing plane but everything else is kind of all over the place.

Common among longer, lankier guys.  I like Killiroff or whatever his name is though.  I was just passing on that an unnamed Angels scout said he likes that Benson kid. 

30 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Common among longer, lankier guys.  I like Killiroff or whatever his name is though.  I was just passing on that an unnamed Angels scout said he likes that Benson kid. 

Yeah, I like the kid from Penn way more too.   And agreed on the noise being somewhat common.  I've just don't recall seeing that much movement -- he literally had movement everywhere.   But the swing plane is really nice and clean and he really does get through the hit zone quickly.   There are some really good things there too.  Just a lot a noise.

Tell you who I don't want the Angels to take --  FLA Gators' Buddy Reed.   I know he's about as physically talented as they come but that bat of his may not translate..   College bat with question marks are a no go for me after our recent draft strategies..

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, I like the kid from Penn way more too.   And agreed on the noise being somewhat common.  I've just don't recall seeing that much movement -- he literally had movement everywhere.   But the swing plane is really nice and clean and he really does get through the hit zone quickly.   There are some really good things there too.  Just a lot a noise.

Tell you who I don't want the Angels to take --  FLA Gators' Buddy Reed.   I know he's about as physically talented as they come but that bat of his may not translate..   College bat with question marks are a no go for me after our recent draft strategies..

If it were me dictating a draft strategy, honestly I think I'd more closely resemble Eddie Bane.  Stick with prep stars just oozing with talent but are raw.  The only time to venture into the college ranks are if there's a Schwarber type of bat that falls to you, or a pitcher that you know with relative certainty can step in and be a #3-4-5 starter within a year or two, like Mike Leake (at the time).  That's for the top rounds.  After Round 5, I say just go with the best player available, but I'd prefer my early picks be prep.  

I just saw the latest Halos draft blog.    Miss State righty Dakota Hudson is the latest prediction on how the 16th overall pick will go.   Fastball sits at 93-95 with run and action, and his best pitch is a slider that reaches high 80s.   Like Richards, he started slowly his first two collegiate seasons.  But unlike Richards, he blossomed as a junior (2.62 ERA in 16 starts).  

That does sound like VERY good stuff that he has.

Corey Ray is my favorite player in this draft but of course he isn't gonna last till 16.  Maybe 10ish, so I'm gonna watch round 1 just to get my hopes crushed.  He won't be in the minors long in my estimation.

Either way what matters is they hit on a good prospect, so yeah BPA is the way to go.  Let the teams above them prioritize the position, the lefty arms and the polished collegiate hitters then make a great pick.

They were saying on Twitter that the Devin Perez kid failed a drug test so that is why he is falling out of the Top 10. They also said the Top 200 prospects get drug tested but that the drug test reports haven't been delivered to the teams which I find odd.

Pretty much everyone connects the Angels to Kirilloff.  The kid has an absolutely beautiful swing and his baseball IQ is off the charts.  But he isn't very strong or even that fast.  This pick would remind me of the Casey Kotchman selection from years ago.  Everything about Kotch seemed like he was going to be a superstar in the major leagues.  he breezed through the minor leagues never looking very challenged at all.  Once he got to the majors, we found out that despite all the top notch coaching and lineage in the world, he just didn't have the talent to be an impact player in the major leagues.  Good batting average, great strike zone judgment and a good glove, but not enough power, and he simply didn't know how to adjust to failure or new environments because it wad the first time he'd ever been challenged like this.  The end result was a AAAA player in the long run. 

I'm not saying Kirilloff is destined for this, just that I'm weary of coach's sons like this.

Also, if I've learned anything from Angels drafts of the past, they almost never pick who I or anyone else expects them to.

Here's a good scouting report on Kirilloff.

http://www.fueledbysports.com/alex-kirilloff-scouting-report/

ALEX KIRILLOFF’S INFO

Height: 6’2″
Weight: 195
Bats: Left
Throws: Left
School: Plum High School (New Kensington, Pennsylvania)
Position: OF/1B
Birthday: 11/9/1997
College Commitment: Liberty

ALEX KIRILLOFF’S SCOUTING REPORT

Kirilloff is one of the better high-school hitters in this year’s draft, with his excellent bat speed and ability to hit to all fields. He has an advanced approach at the plate and that might be due to the fact that his dad is a professional hitting coach. Kirilloff is also solid defensively and will probably end up playing one of the corner outfield spots or first base.

Strengths

• Advanced approach at the plate
  • Excellent bat speed
  • Plus power
  • Plus contact potential
  • Hits to all fields
  • High baseball IQ
  • Above average defense
  • Above average arm

Weaknesses

• Tends to get jammed on inside pitches
  • Doesn’t have much playing time against good competition

ALEX KIRILLOFF’S SCOUTING GRADES

Tool Grade/Projection
Contact 50/60
Power 55/65
Run 45/50
Arm 55/60
Field 55/60
Overall 50/60

ALEX KIRILLOFF’S DRAFT PROJECTION

Mid First Round

ALEX KIRILLOFF’S PRO COMPARISON

Carlos Gonzalez – Colorado Rockies

WHERE COULD KIRILLOFF END UP IN THE DRAFT?

Kirilloff ceiling looks like the Indians at 14, with the Angels being his floor at 16. If I had to guess I would say he falls to the Los Angeles Angels