• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Favorite Concert

If there is another thread about this topic mods please merge. One of my favorite concerts was the Monsters of Rock tour at the coliseum in 88. Van Halen, The Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken, and Kingdom Come. I was on the floor of the Colisiem and when Metallica started the crowd rushed the stage and we were standing on our seats which collapsed. It was crazy but one hell of an event. What's your favorite concert?

http://www.eightiesonline.com/80s-music/monsters-of-rock-la-coliseum-1988/

I think there used to be this thread on the old forum, but not here....or it's buried.

I have a few, but I'll come up with others. Where to start:

Glassjaw took a long break a long time ago then 6-7 years ago (I think) did four California shows with classics and new material. I went to LA, SD, and Glasshouse in Pomona. At the time I thought it may be my only shot. I met the band before the show across the street at the bbq spot as we sat down and my buddy told me to look at the table next to us.

The Get Up Kids is one of my favorite bands and they did a farewell tour however many years ago. I thought it was my only chance to do a bucket list item. It was pretty epic at the Glasshouse...they ended up getting back together and I got a picture with them at the next gig many years later.

Russian Circles was a long time bucket list but they never came out this way. My ex got me tix for my bday, I believe a year ago. It was one of those things where it was epic, but I'm too old to stand for x amount of hours.

Thrice. Two shows, one was here at HOB (that ended up being a live album), just epic and the crowd being a homecoming show was energized. Don't remember the year. The other show was they announced a farewell tour but I missed out on tix as they sold out like Coachella. I ended up getting tix in Portland and my ex and I headed up. Such a great trip and experience. Thinking it was the end the show was epic and endearing. Dustin even played a little secret location acoustic set after....which ended up being moved to behind the venue.

One band, two separate shows. Explosions in the Sky was a huge bucket list item for many years but never really played. Word spread they may be done around 2011 and I saw they were playing in Columbia, MO...fairly close to family in KC. I visited family and my cousin and I went with friends. It's a three hour drive and we listened to the Masters on the way there. Long story short is we ate brownies and it was pretty damn epic.

The second show was two part and still my favorite. The band released a new album I believe in 2011 and did a early release thing at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Basically you walked in and they handed you a map. You walked through the entire place finding these spots where they set up some kind of media, video, art piece...some kind of art display and a song from the new album was at each location and looped (they are an instrumental band so it was only five long songs). The next night they actually did the concert in the great lawn area. They encouraged picnic baskets of drinks and food. It was as epic as before, but the whole atmosphere and vibe was unforgettable. Hands down the best event musically I've ever gone to.

I have seen the Decemberists many many times in LA, Portland, San Diego and San Francisco. They always have a great show.

I saw REM with 150 people. They shot a tv show and fan club members were invited to play extras. When the shoot was over, the band used the soace as a warm up for their upcoming tour and invited the fan club to stay. Michael Stipe literally took requests from the audience, sonic was a lot of deep cuts and rarities.

I took my 5 year old son to see the Avett Brothers. That was pretty rad.

Summer Sanitarium, August following Senior Year of High School, 2003. Mudvayne, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Metallica.

Drove my 1970 Cougar to the event with a HS buddy. After drinking copious amounts of alcohol, we walked to seats at the USC Coliseum, think they were 90 bucks. Dying to get in the pit. After LP played, yelled at some guy walking up the steps with a pit wristband "Hey, I'll give you 40 bucks for your pit wristband!" He's down for it. Thing is loose, flexible, it fits.

Ditch the high school homie, slip on the wristband, and head down to the pit.

Bizkit gets boo'd off stage with middle fingers at Fred Durst.

Metallica comes on, I'm in the pit the entire time, thought I was going to die. I got so close, and they played all the greats.

Won't ever forget that one.

If there is another thread about this topic mods please merge. One of my favorite concerts was the Monsters of Rock tour at the coliseum in 88. Van Halen, The Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken, and Kingdom Come. I was on the floor of the Colisiem and when Metallica started the crowd rushed the stage and we were standing on our seats which collapsed. It was crazy but one hell of an event. What's your favorite concert?

http://www.eightiesonline.com/80s-music/monsters-of-rock-la-coliseum-1988/

Same here. I saw MOR at Giants Stadium that summer.

Lol at Kingdom Clone (Led Zep wanna be's)

Runners up: 1. A brand new band called Guns n Roses opening for Deep Purple and Aerosmith (permanent vacation tour)

2. Collective Soul and Bon Jovi somewhere outdoors

Edited by NJHalo

Wow, tough to choose...

Metallica in '91 at The Forum was a great show. Still have the tour T-shirt with their 5 album covers (at the time) all spread across the front and back.

Got one off the bucket list in '98 when I saw Page and Plant (closest you can get to Zeppelin) at Irvine Meadows. Great show...solid mix of Zep classics, Walking into Clarksdale, Unledded, and solo stuff.

Guns N Roses in 2011 at The Forum was a solid show. Played almost 3 hours straight with great segues between the classic stuff, covers and Chinese Democracy.

The Cult at The Paladium in 2012 was a relatively short set but they sounded so tight with Chris Wyse and John Tempesta on bass and drums respectively. It helped they were touring in support of one their better albums in "Choice of Weapon".

I'm going to see Guns N Roses at Qualcomm in August and The Cult at Pachanga in May so hopefully I can add to the list

Favorite concert that I have been to is either:

1a. Ataris, Vandals and Lagwagon at the Palladium.  Great show and the Vandals killed it.  I have seen them in concert at least 15 times and this was by far the biggest and best.  The pit was huge for So Long Farewell

1b. Green Day secret show at the Grand Olympic with about 200 people where they played for three hours straight mostly unheard content for the upcoming American Idiot album.

Paul McCartney and Tom Petty both at the Hollywood Bowl are 2 of my favorites.  That venue is just spectacular.  I've seen Petty around a dozen times, all of his shows are awesome, never miss him when he is in So Cal.  

Rebelution and Slightly Stoopid at Irvine Meadows was a great stoner fest (if you like Rebelution and have never seen them live do it, they are phenomenal).

Pepper at the Hard Rock poolside in Las Vegas was an awesome drunk show.

Any No Doubt so cal show.

Any Offspring show, especially last summer at the OC Fair.

Iration at The Cave in Big Bear, awesome small venue.

Green Day at the Olympic right before they released American Idiot...I thought Jesus of Suburbia was like 4 different songs when they played it.

Now back into the Junior High/High School Days:

Pop Disaster tour at Irvine Meadows with Jimmy Eat World, Green Day, and Blink 182

Sugarcult/Unwritten Law at a small venue in LA, I can't remember which one.

Yellowcard and New Found Glory at Chain Reaction in Anaheim.  

Summer Strut In Anaheim Stadium in 1982. Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Loverboy and Foreigner. I have seen Scorpions 8 times now.

SummerStrut.png

I have recently enjoyed a band named SafetySuit and have seen them 3 times now and I absolutely love the show they put on. 

Green Day at the Olympic right before they released American Idiot...I thought Jesus of Suburbia was like 4 different songs when they played it.

You were there?  When Billy Joe put electrical tape for a stache and did Bohemian Rhapsody?  My old district manager at Game Stop had a ticket hookup and found out about the show that way.

favorite concert by myself was seeing The New Seekers at magic mountain. if you're old enough to remember the dolphin show they had at the park, they also had a some kind of theater back in that area, and that's where they performed. this was the group that sang "i'd like to teach the world to sing", which was used for a very successful coca cola advertising campaign in the mid-70s. i was in jr. high when i saw them.

two favorite concerts with my wife: first, eElton John at the forum in '92. we sat to the side of the stage up in the colonnade, but not too high. had a perfect view of everything, including part of backstage. it was a fun show and my first time to see him. second one was seeing Billy Joel at the anaheim pond in '99. my wife was about 6 months pregnant. billy played all the songs you'd want to hear, and he put on a great show.

favorite concert with my daughter was the most recent time we saw One Direction. it was on hollywood blvd outside the jimmy kimmel show on the street. we were about 30 feet from the stage. melissa mccarthy was about 10 feet away from us, and harry styles waved at both me and my daughter. the fun part is seeing how much she enjoyed herself.