• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Favorite Concert

California Jam

Bruce at the Coliseum

Elvis at the Long Beach Arena 

Eagles Hotel California tour (Roy Orbison opened)

Garth Brooks anywhere

Allman Brothers at the Forum

In the past couple of years I got to take my daughter to see the Eagles and Garth.  

Can't believe I left off Led Zeppelin  

Jeez, I'm old

BBM wins. 

GnR multiple times. Monsters of Rock was the last time (Rose Bowl). They we just so bad ass! I have tickets to Quaalcom in August. Looking forward to it.

Beck a couple of years back in L.A somewhere. Fun concert.

Jack White three times. Great musician and entertaining. First time was White Stripes at the San Diego Street Scene. Saw Sonic Youth there and Black Eyed Peas as well. Fergie pissed her pants at that concert. Big wet trail down her thighs.

I saw GNR open for the Stones at the Coliseum in 89 and they were late to come on because supposedly Slash was so high on H and Axl ran around the floor of the Coliseum. I was amazed of how good Mick Jagger sounded after all those years. Also saw The Who at the Coliseum in 89 and they were also awesome!

You are right about Grant being a great banterer.  At one show where he was playing primarily solo, I called out for "Soft Wolf Tread" from his first Grant Lee Buffalo album "Fuzzy".  He thought about it for a minute, then said he hadn't performed in years but would give it a go but that if it sucked "It'd be my ass for suggesting it".  At another show, he invited a four piece string orchestra to accompany him.  I went to the restroom and when I returned he had moved his mic stand right to the center of the dining audience and literally right in front of my seat.  When I came back, he was so close it was difficult to get back into my seat.  Each of the four string members was positioned at one corner of the square floor.  What a great experience.

Yeah, that sounds cool. I saw him solo at the Coach House. That was a great show. He has such a great voice. He was one that I was absolutely convinced would be a huge star someday. Just goes to show that talent doesn't mean popularity.

Edited by Ray McKigney

This is correct. Their new album is actually coming out soon, I know it's this month. Thrice are so good live, but I'm too old. I can't stand for hours on end like I used to.

Fun fact of the day, Thrice are one of my favorite bands and unbeknownst to me, their drummer is a huge Angels fan and used to post here years ago. He and I used to talk music, bands, playing, etc. quite a few times (I actually vividly remember our conversation about Sigur Ros and ironically saw a dvd or behind the scenes video of the band where he mentions them as an inspiration, I believe on the element four disk album). Funny thing is I didn't find out until many years later from Chuck that the poster was him. Kind of cool.

Met the band after the show in Seattle and ended up talking to him for about 20 minutes about the Angels. It was pretty cool

First concert was ELO at the Forum in early 1977.

One of my favorite bands, wish I could have seen them.

As far as fun goes I had the best time at They Might Be Giants. Totally entertaining show.

Devo a few years (more like five, probably) right across from Angels Stadium was excellent. Triumph with Keel opening at the Long Beach Arena was my first show so I'll always rank that one pretty highly. Believe it or not, Stryper puts on a great show as well. Michael Sweet is seriously underrated.

Saw Chase back in the day. God-awful. Bunch of hacks.

This is correct. Their new album is actually coming out soon, I know it's this month. Thrice are so good live, but I'm too old. I can't stand for hours on end like I used to.

Fun fact of the day, Thrice are one of my favorite bands and unbeknownst to me, their drummer is a huge Angels fan and used to post here years ago. He and I used to talk music, bands, playing, etc. quite a few times (I actually vividly remember our conversation about Sigur Ros and ironically saw a dvd or behind the scenes video of the band where he mentions them as an inspiration, I believe on the element four disk album). Funny thing is I didn't find out until many years later from Chuck that the poster was him. Kind of cool.

Sigur Ros was an inspiration to the drummer of Thrice? I can't compute.

Isn't that dude buddies with Trumbo or something?

I saw U2 in '97 at the Sam Boyd stadium in Vegas. Rage Against the Machine opened for them which was a little strange. The stadium was not the right venue for that big of a crowd. The bathroom situation was terrible as there just wasn't enough to handle the amount of relief for the drunks (myself included). Chicks pissing in the sinks in the men's bathroom was bizzare.

Dang, looks like I need to go see more concerts.  Wish I had the chance to see some of the hard rock/heavy metal ones back when I was a teen (Metallica, Slayer, Maiden, GnR, those would have been cool).

Anyone ever go to the BFD concerts at the Shoreline?  They were put on by the station Live 105 and featured mostly Indie/alternative/new wave artists. Saw bands like Green Day, Beck, Violent Femmes, Jane's Addiction, Social Distortion and Blur to bands like Erasure, Echo and the Bunnymen, and The Cure.  Those were pretty good concerts, just to be able to see a mix of artists and genres. 

Also used to go to the KMEL Summer Jam concerts, saw rap and R&B artists like BIG, Warren G, Naughty by Nature, A Tribe Called Quest, Digital Underground. I'll never forget the 3 BIG sweaty black mommas dancing next to us in only their bras because it was 95 that day. 

Best concert: Prince at Staples. Just three hours of pure awesomeness. 

Funnest:  Sublime in SF.

Worst: Greg Allman, at an "event center" (warehouse) here in town. Terrible sound and lighting, crowd wasn't into it, just meh.

Awkward:  Sitting next to teeny bopper girls screaming at the front man of Incubus, saying they want to F him. 

Relaxing: Robert Cray and Steven Stills at a Brew and Blues festival.  

Looking to get tickets to see Trombone Shorty and Buddy guy this Memorial day, should be a good show. 

Sigur Ros was an inspiration to the drummer of Thrice? I can't compute.

Isn't that dude buddies with Trumbo or something?

When Thrice did that element concept album about the various earth elements one of the behind the scenes clips was him mentioning bands he was listening to for writing those concept albums....the water and air albums were really mellow and bands with that ambient or mellow vibe would make sense. Instrument wise if you took away Dustin's vocals some of those tracks are very similar to post-rock bands/songs.

I bet they are buddies. Both from out here and obviously Riley being on the site plus his OC Register guest articles indicate he's a big baseball guy and I know from spending a lot of time with Jason that Trumbo is a big music guy into bands like Thrice, etc.

I saw U2 in '97 at the Sam Boyd stadium in Vegas. Rage Against the Machine opened for them which was a little strange. The stadium was not the right venue for that big of a crowd. The bathroom situation was terrible as there just wasn't enough to handle the amount of relief for the drunks (myself included). Chicks pissing in the sinks in the men's bathroom was bizzare.

Saw them on the same tour but at the Coliseum.  Enjoyed it but couldn't see as well as I would've liked.  Was on the field about 50 yard line.  Stood on my folding chair but only got glimpes of the stage.

My brother, who posts on here, was at US. I'll get him to log on and tell us all a really boring story about it. He went to some great concerts as well. I remember him telling me about going to see the Stones in concert and Prince (something happened to him today) opened for them, and Prince was booed off stage, or actually left the stage before one of the bottles that were being thrown at him hit him.

I believe that was at the LA Coliseum. I don't remember all the other acts but I am pretty sure George Thorogood was on the line up.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice list everybody!

There's a few that that I wished I hadn't missed there... and I'll add The Smiths at Irvine '85 to it.

My first show was Billy Idol in '82 I believe at LB Arena.

My favorites are any Buffett show (we went to Santa Barbara this last year; was a great trip!).  Kenny Chesney and Dierks Bentley at Carson was an all-around great show and time hanging-out with friends and fans.  Toby Keith was great, as our motor home drew-in quite a few new friends.

Swervedriver at the Whiskey back in the early '90's

Fugazi somewhere in LA around the same time; I can't recall much as my body and ears paid a price.

Worst was actually Steve Miller at Irvine.  Thought I was gonna succumb to green-smoke inhalation, and our picnic area got trounced quickly by dirty hippies.

I've never been to one, but I always got a great laugh at all the old, lost, hippies wandering the side of the 405 freeway when the Grateful Dead rolled into town!