• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

32 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

So, when talking about foreign players flopping, can we coin them yet as Baldoquins?

Too soon?

With Eppler's luck, wouldn't it be something if Baldoquin put it all together this year a la Cowart and shot all the way up to AAA with a huge season?

42 minutes ago, totdprods said:

With Eppler's luck, wouldn't it be something if Baldoquin put it all together this year a la Cowart and shot all the way up to AAA with a huge season?

the fact that he's just such a poor hitter doesn't bode well.  Cowart was actually really good at age 20.  Then they changed his swing.  Baldoquin was about as bad as you could be at A+ as a 21 year old.  Then he topped it by being even worse there as a 22yo.  Then he got demoted and didn't exactly light things up as a 23 yo vs. competition 2 years younger.  

I know you were being facetious, but my analytical brain couldn't take it.  ;)

On 2/28/2018 at 9:14 AM, HaloJustinBieber said:

I think the deal may have been Wood, Kendrick, Santana, Adenhart and Mathis.  Word around the campfire is the Marlins said no, but you know Scioscia puts that trade on the skids for obvious reasons.

I liked this post to give you your point back after storm trolled it. 

Justice for all

On 2/28/2018 at 9:14 AM, HaloJustinBieber said:

I think the deal may have been Wood, Kendrick, Santana, Adenhart and Mathis.  Word around the campfire is the Marlins said no, but you know Scioscia puts that trade on the skids for obvious reasons.

My memory of it was they had a deal in place, but then the Marlins asked for more after already agreeing to a deal.  Does anyone have that memory besides me?  I remember Arte being pissed about it and even talking about it publicly.  I think there was even talk here that we’d never make a trade with them again.   

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

My memory of it was they had a deal in place, but then the Marlins asked for more after already agreeing to a deal.  Does anyone have that memory besides me?  I remember Arte being pissed about it and even talking about it publicly.  I think there was even talk here that we’d never make a trade with them again.   

It was something along those lines, I think. But looking at it from the Marlins point of view, it made sense. They liked what we had offered, the Tigers made a last second offer that they've also liked, and Cabrera seemed like he preferred playing for Ozzie Guillen over Mike Scioscia because of their background.

As I understand, the Marlins asked for one more player (the deal was already Wood, Kendrick, Santana and Saunders). I've read reports that it was Mathis they asked for, and others that say it was Willits. 

I think it didn't necessarily matter. It was the principle of going back on an agreed upon price.

The Angels signed a third player--18-year-old Dominican righthander Juan Contreras--who was granted free agency from the Braves in November as a consequence of their international signings infractions.

Contreras signed with the Angels after the Major League Baseball-imposed Jan. 15 deadline, thus receiving no additional bonus on top of the $1.2 million deal he signed with Atlanta in 2016.
Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/minor-league-transactions-feb-23-march-2-2018/#vt0OKlpMb6CqcrQj.99

Juan Contreras

A $1.2M signing Contreras profiled as having two possible elite pitches with a fastball that hit 95 already, and a dynamite slider. He could project more towards a reliever, given no development in a third pitch, but has a very high ceiling.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/11/21/16687822/a-quick-look-at-the-prospects-the-atlanta-braves-lost

11 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

That's ow I remember it

43 minutes ago, John Smith said:

A little @Angels prospect news. RHP Chris Rodriguez has a stress reaction in his back, won't break camp with a full-season roster. On plus side, managing his IP for the year will be easier. No. 6 on their Top 30:

Same thing that delayed Brandon Marsh signing and playing. Could linger a bit. Those just take time, rest and stretching to heal.

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Hey @Dochalo, what is a stress reaction in your back? 

it's like what happens before a true fracture.  Repetitive stress causing 'swelling' of the bone.  (we call it bone edema.  the brits call it bone oedema.)

If it's in the back, it's usually of something called the pedicle.  

the important part is changing the inducing event.  Was it his delivery or did he have some other injury/issue where his mechanics were off and this was the result?   

The top 16 of that 2006 top prospect list has done the following (with many still going):

8 all-star appearances

2 Silver sluggers

a Gold glove

165.7 WAR.  an avg of 10 WAR per each player in the top 16

106 years of service time

bear in mind that the list also includes Adenhart who career was obviously cut short.  

If our current top 20 or frankly, if those not on the 25 man player that are currently in the org accumulate the above stats, I will be beside myself.   

Of the roughly 27000  players on record to have seen time in mlb, about 10% have put up 10 WAR or more for their career.  

I don't have the time nor will to document the historical precedence of this,  but it sure as shit seems like there aren't a lot of top 20 lists that boast such.  If so, it's likely as a result of 1 or 2 players.  

Another way to look at it would be to compare the top 10 players from any franchise prospect reserve at any give time and avg their results.  

Camp standouts

A group of starting pitching prospects, all in the top half of the Angels' Top 30, got to Tempe early and have already created some early buzz. Canning, last year's second rounder, has lived up to that billing as a polished college starter, while Jose Suarez and Jose Soriano have also looked sharp.

"Soriano is a guy who pitched in short-season ball last year and his stuff is even better than when we left instructional league," LaCassa said. "Physically, he's growing, he's strong, he's flexible, he's an athlete. He looks really good. Suarez is very polished beyond his years. He's a guy who could move quickly. His bullpens are as professional as they get. Griffin Canning, he and Suarez, it's like watching big league bullpens the way they command multiple pitches. Those guys definitely stand out."

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-pipeline-spring-training-report/c-268539446