• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I also saw that Deveaux comment. Does he play AZL later this year, so we can see some actual pro stats? WOuld love to see him in Cedar Rapids (A) by 2019 at age 19, but that might be a bit too optimistic.

I think we could see Deveaux at Orem this year. 

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I also saw that Deveaux comment. Does he play AZL later this year, so we can see some actual pro stats? WOuld love to see him in Cedar Rapids (A) by 2019 at age 19, but that might be a bit too optimistic.

If it means anything, Eppler told Deveaux that he thinks he'll be a big leaguer by his 21st birthday.

Also, right now, Eppler is the finest executive in baseball. Virtually everything he's touched in regards to the farm has turned to gold.

They drafted Adell and it turns out the adjustments he made his senior year were real. He's a better hitter than any scout anticipated. Had they known then what they know now, the Twins would've looked hard at him at 1-1.

Soriano looks like a lottery ticket with the right numbers. 

Trent Deveaux has more power than we though, which when coupled with that speed makes him extremely dangerous. Not bad for only one million.

Brandon Marsh and Matt Thaiss both look amazing right now. 

Griffin Canning can step onto a major league roster right now and hold his own.

Ohtani is looking better at the plate.

Even the holdovers from the last regime like Jaime Barria and Jahmai Jones have taken giant leaps forward.

And as bad as Maitan looks right now, consider his upside and Eppler's track record.

This legitimately could be one of the deepest, most talented farm systems in baseball outside of San Diego and Chicago. And it happened over the course of a couple years, not five-plus like originally anticipated. It's no wonder the Angels won't sign Holland. If their second round pick is anything like the previous three, we'll be getting a future star.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

I wrote that post extremely high on Norco after a sinus surgery. Still meant every word.

I don’t hate you as much as you think I hate you and I appreciate your optimism.  I pretty much agree with everything you said.  That being said, we literally have zero idea if Canning can be effective in the majors yet.   Yes he has stuff, but can we really say he’s MLB ready?   

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

I don’t hate you as much as you think I hate you and I appreciate your optimism.  I pretty much agree with everything you said.  That being said, we literally have zero idea if Canning can be effective in the majors yet.   Yes he has stuff, but can we really say he’s MLB ready?   

He is. It doesn't mean he wouldn't benefit from a full year in AA though, because he would. And the medical report that showed wear and tear, we as fans would be much higher on him after seeing a ful healthy season.

As I understand, there's no injury sustained, just more evidence of usage than teams wanted to see from their first round pick, which is just silly to me because most front line collegiate starters have been pitching for more than a decade.

I'm thinking Canning will make the most immediate impact, beginning in 2019 as a mid/back end starter.

Jones will have the most focused impact, in that we'll need a second baseman that hits at the top of the order and he'll fill that role.

Marsh will have the biggest impact, but over a much longer timeframe. Meaning he won't sniff the major leagues until 2021, but will grow into a legitimate 20/20 weapon in the corner OF.

@Scotty@AW, is there actually talk of Jahmai to 2B or is that just wishful thinking?

I mean if he can convert and not impeded his hitting development, this is a no-brainer, although then he'd have Leo Rivas to contend with for 2B of the future. But that's still less of a log-jam than the OF is going to be.

More generally, does anyone know when the minor league rosters will be announced?

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

@Scotty@AW, is there actually talk of Jahmai to 2B or is that just wishful thinking?

I mean if he can convert and not impeded his hitting development, this is a no-brainer, although then he'd have Leo Rivas to contend with for 2B of the future. But that's still less of a log-jam than the OF is going to be.

More generally, does anyone know when the minor league rosters will be announced?

I just said that.  jeez.  

I think Adell and Deveaux are both future CFers.  Marsh is likely a corner OFer but will get some time in CF so he can chip in if needed.  

We don't have a ton of MIF prospect depth.  Jones has the athleticism to be a dynamic lead off hitter at the keystone.  He's way more athletic than someone like Howie who developed into a solid defensive player.  

It's absolutely worth a shot.  

10 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

He's legitimately on the back fields getting reps at 2B before the season begins. He played 2B all through high school and showcase teams and travel ball teams before moving to the OF upon being drafted.

My guess is he spends a full year in AA and splits his time between 2B and CF.

As for Leo Rivas, he can play SS and 3B as well. There will always be prospects in the organization and free agents outside the organization to compete with. 

Minor league rosters typically aren't announced until April. But honestly, there really aren't a ton of questions about where these guys end up playing.

Marsh and Adell will be in Burlington. Thaiss in Mobile, Barria in Salt Lake. I guess the only ones I'll be curious about are Torii Hunter Jr. and Griffin Canning. I'm guessing both go to Inland Empire along with Rivas, but they could push Canning to AA immediately if they wanted.

But not much drama that I foresee.

9 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Jones is an elite defender in CF, and Trout won't play center forever. Also Marsh and Adell look like more of corner guys to me.

I don't see a need to move him out of his comfort zone at all at this point

I rated Jahmai as our best overall defensive outfielder. 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think Adell and Deveaux are both future CFers.  Marsh is likely a corner OFer but will get some time in CF so he can chip in if needed.  

We don't have a ton of MIF prospect depth.  Jones has the athleticism to be a dynamic lead off hitter at the keystone.  He's way more athletic than someone like Howie who developed into a solid defensive player.  

It's absolutely worth a shot.  

There's a chance Adell outgrows CF the way Heyward basically has. But I think it's more likely he becomes a Lorenzo Cain type of defensive CF, which is very good.