• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte waffling on going over the luxury tax.

HBMike

Hearing #Angels owner Arte Moreno really waffling on whether to take payroll past $189-million luxury tax threshold.

Mike DiGiovanna â€@MikeDiGiovanna  13m

The $40 million or so #Angels still owe Josh Hamilton gnawing at Arte Moreno, who would need to incur tax to sign big FA OF.

Edited by HBMike

just another reason not to have blown your prospect wad on a player that doesn't fill a need for this year.  

It's only a problem if Eppler went in thinking he could spend the money then found out he couldn't. If Eppler was told he couldn't spend the money and traded for Simmons anyway, then I'd be shocked, because it's far too foolish.

There is basically no way they traded Newcomb for Simmons if they weren't willing to spend this off season, no way at all

This.

If you aren't going to spend the money then guys like Newcomb and Ellis are invaluable because they are some of the few representations of future major league talent at a cost controlled price. The Simmons trade means the Angels are pushing their chips in on the next five years because they just traded a whole bunch of years beyond that for the next five seasons. We now have 2 young, talented players locked up at reasonable salaries for the next five seasons, which also happens to coincide with the a period of time our previous big ticket investment is still a viable contributor.

They will spend some money.

It's only a problem if Eppler went in thinking he could spend the money then found out he couldn't. If Eppler was told he couldn't spend the money and traded for Simmons anyway, then I'd be shocked, because it's far too foolish.

Frankly, it doesn't make sense either way.  Eppler knows what we need.  Even if Arte told him he would go over the CBT max for the 'right player', it still limits our options when there were three other positions with less capable players than Aybar is at SS.  Even if you sign a big LFer, then what?  You have no more money and no tradeable assets.  

I know they would never do it, but with Arte's 'change of heart' I would be dangling simmons to see if you could turn him into a couple of nice young position players.  

Frankly, it doesn't make sense either way.  Eppler knows what we need.  Even if Arte told him he would go over the CBT max for the 'right player', it still limits our options when there were three other positions with less capable players than Aybar is at SS.  Even if you sign a big LFer, then what?  You have no more money and no tradeable assets.  

I know they would never do it, but with Arte's 'change of heart' I would be dangling simmons to see if you could turn him into a couple of nice young position players.  

I still like the Simmons trade, but once again it all goes back to everyone being on the same page and rowing in the right direction. We were going to have to deal with shortstop next year with limited options anyway, it's a key position on the field, I'm OK with making sure we do alright there.

Yeah, good point Doc.

Can you imagine if we had Chris Ellis and Sean Newcomb? We may have been able to land a Jose Fernandez type or trade for Todd Frazier and Brandon Phillips. 

Oh well... Let's lay off of Eppy until the roster is all sorted out. 

Criticism here is unwarranted.

We have the 7th highest budget so stop acting like a fanbase of victims with the stingy owner.

Arte spent the money, just extremely poorly.

Now you know why the rhetoric "Why are you complaining, it's not your money" was one of the dumbest words ever muttered on this board. Every owner has a budget and it's possible Arte has reached his. In two years CJ and Hamilton will be off the books and Pujols will at least be nearing the twilight and facing the opportunity to live up to his word and retire if he is simply done.

Time for Eppler to do his job with creativity and not just sign a top FA if this is all true. 

Personally I think we will have a great team next year.