• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte waffling on going over the luxury tax.

HBMike

Think about the prospects he traded for Street and Grienke....where are they now? Segura had 1 solid half of baseball and since has been very meh...other than that I can't think of 1 that I'm missing a lot right now.

Exactly. And every time we trade a prospect this place erupts like Adam after a 2am Taco Bell run

Put yourself in his shoes. He had a drug user on his team. He markets the team as a great place to take your family. Like it or not Arte has a standard for his players. He hasn't touched a known PED user either. You can call it a tantrum, I will call it his own personal standard for the team he owns.

Now I am sure this will get some feathers ruffled, but oh well. In a sense the guy put his money where his mouth was and got rid of him which was a morality decision because it certainly wasn't a financial or a baseball decision.

It all goes back to the stories/rumors(and whether you choose to believe them or not) that Arte was the driving force in the team even signing Hamilton in the first place.

Why didn't they go deeper into the intl market?

How much is the GM responsible for the farm in terms of drafting? Angels f'd up by letting go of Bane.

Add this to the statement he wasn't responsible for the farm system being so crappy, I have 1 question for you.

What the hell was he responsible for here ?

I'm not the one litering every thread that Arte has learned his lesson, blah blah blah.

You are littering every thread bitching about Claude very time he posts. And if Claude is right then you are the troll. So either back off and let Claude have his opinion or take your own medicine if it turns out he's right.

Edited by notti

It all goes back to the stories/rumors(and whether you choose to believe them or not) that Arte was the driving force in the team even signing Hamilton in the first place.

True, but I kind of think it was an Arte move. Not to mention the Dipotophiles would kills us all if we said it was on Dipoto.

And how do you think he could've done that with the limited options and flexibility he had?

The moves Theo Epstein and Friedman have been given authority to make simply weren't there for Dipoto.

The Cubs General Manager is Jed Hoyer, he answers to Epstein. The Dodgers General Manager is Farhan Zaidi and he answers to Friedman.

Dipoto was given a lot more latitude than those two guys.

oh geez poor arte...an addict relapsed after promising not to.

I've spoken directly to more addicts than I can remember and a great majority are confronted with anger from those closest to them (especially their employers and parents).

Now, once an addict has gone thru rehab and relapses, the number actually increase.

Arte's reaction was par for the course

I'm not the one litering every thread that Arte has learned his lesson, blah blah blah.

Strad,

I still don't believe that Arte will ever go over the luxury tax. He sent Eppler to Nashville to dangle CJ Wilson to clear space for a big splash but he found no takers. That's not on Eppler. This is a direct result of this seasons budget and commitments of $100M on Wilson, Weaver, Pujols and Hamilton. That's a lot of cash alloted to four players that bring little or no return. Next offseason will be different. Arte doesn't want to sign Heyward for 10 years. Arte will be 80 years old when that deal is done. Why ban myself for giving my opinion. Besides it looks like Arte agrees with me.

Strad,

I still don't believe that Arte will ever go over the luxury tax. He sent Eppler to Nashville to dangle CJ Wilson to clear space for a big splash but he found no takers. That's not on Eppler. This is a direct result of this seasons budget and commitments of $100M on Wilson, Weaver, Pujols and Hamilton. That's a lot of cash alloted to four players that bring little or no return. Next offseason will be different. Arte doesn't want to sign Heyward for 10 years. Arte will be 80 years old when that deal is done. Why ban myself for giving my opinion. Besides it looks like Arte agrees with me.

Well that's not good for the Halos considering how weak that FA class is set to be

You are littering every thread bitching about Claude very time he posts. And if Claude is right then you are the troll. So either back off and let Claude have his opinion or take your own medicine if it turns out he's right.

I just believe Arte over committed himself in past deals. I also believe that Eppler will build us a winner but just not as fast as everyone expects. The guy has been here two months and we need to give him time to put in his own plan.

Strad,

Why do you think Arte agrees with you? Our need is an outfielder, none have been signed. He has all that money slotted to four players. Next year two are gone and the free agent class next year is poor. The year after one more is gone. This is the logical time to reinvest in his team.

I'll ask you this question which you probably won't answer. If you could sign player A for $20 million this year when you have a need. Or next year you can sign player B, who isn't as good as player A and is older for $20 million next year, who would you sign?

The Cubs General Manager is Jed Hoyer, he answers to Epstein. The Dodgers General Manager is Farhan Zaidi and he answers to Friedman.

Dipoto was given a lot more latitude than those two guys.

I know they're not the GM. That's not the point.

Dipoto basically answered to Arte, which in lies the problem.

No one believes Epstein and Friedman aren't the ones pulling the strings. Cmon now.

Edited by Poozy

I just believe Arte over committed himself in past deals. I also believe that Eppler will build us a winner but just not as fast as everyone expects. The guy has been here two months and we need to give him time to put in his own plan.

So if he signs a big time outfielder is it his plan or Arte's, or will you wait to see if the player is successful or not before you make that decision?

So if he signs a big time outfielder is it his plan or Arte's, or will you wait to see if the player is successful or not before you make that decision?

No it will be an organizational decision but I think Arte is going to be cautious moving forward. Maybe he would feel better about these type of deals if Anaheim didn't renig on the real estate proposal. He still has a stadium to repair. He might have to move or maybe he will just sell the team to an investor that doesn't want to get stuck with long term deals. Just speculation but we don't know what's on his mind. He's pushing 70.

I think I should remind everyone that any player signed to long term contract has the Average Annual Value of their contract apply towards payroll year to year.

For the most part a lot of these contracts are backloaded because it is assumed that the player will age and not perform as well in the latter years of his contract.

What it does for the team though is it frees up money in those later years for arbitration cases, 1-year signings, and the ability to add other long term free agent contracts.