• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

San Bernardino Mass Shooting

Lhalo

**** the FBI. Once this genie is out of the bottle it's never going back in. It's like if your wife wants to fist you. She keeps asking and asking and finally you give in, thinking that one time will be it. Six months later, she's shoving a baseball bat up there.

I don't want the FBI shoving a baseball bat up my ass.

Glen clearly had an interesting first year of marriage.  

**** the FBI. Once this genie is out of the bottle it's never going back in. It's like if your wife wants to fist you. She keeps asking and asking and finally you give in, thinking that one time will be it. Six months later, she's shoving a baseball bat up there.

This exact analogy came to me as well, baseball bat and all.

Good minds...

i just learned a couple of things about you i wish i had not heard.

BRB, i need some purell.

for my email, if i forget my password i can click a button that will issue me a new password. i can do this same thing on multiple websites. 

is this not possible with the security code on the phone? and if it is, i don't see a legal or gov't problem with getting a subpoena to require apple to issue a temp passcode for the phone to comply with law enforcement and this investigation.

i agree with gary johnson's analogy that you don't need a pass key for the entire hotel if you just need entrance to one room.

How many degrees of separation are we willing to live with? They have already caught the killers. So now they get into the phone they might get someone with secondary involvement. Then the phones of those people become fair game? And somewhere along the way pretty much everyone can now become a person of interest because someone who knew someone who knew someone who knew this guy once called you and the secret court can give warrants and they see it all as perfectly legit. **** them all right in the ear.

FBI rebuts reports that county reset San Bernardino shooter's iCloud password without consent

The FBI on Saturday rebutted media reports that San Bernardino County technicians acted without the agency’s consent when they reset the password for the Apple iCloud account belonging to one of the shooters involved in the Dec. 2 terror attack at a county facility that killed 14 people.

So a tech guy didn't really know what he was doing and tampered with the phones security making a current backup unavailable. Seems like they killed their own golden goose and want Apple to bring it back from the dead.

Farook seems to be smarter than your average guy and disabled the auto backup knowing he didn't want the current information accessible. That last couple weeks could point to a larger group of people and their involvement including details of the planning stage and execution stage. I'm sure the FBI wants that information, I'm pretty sure that they can't get it without Apple's cooperation.

The question of whether Apple has to comply could be held up in long court battle. Long enough that the data they finally receive is of little value.

Thats what im assuming, that whatever you might have gotten out of that phone is already old news. The guy(s) on the other end already changed their numbers, etc.

The big thing right now is whatsapp and playstation network...for anybody aspiring to join the jihad.

Out of curiosity, i read it was a county phone. Technically isnt it their property then?

FBI rebuts reports that county reset San Bernardino shooter's iCloud password without consent

The FBI on Saturday rebutted media reports that San Bernardino County technicians acted without the agency’s consent when they reset the password for the Apple iCloud account belonging to one of the shooters involved in the Dec. 2 terror attack at a county facility that killed 14 people.

So wouldn't it stand to reason that the tech guy can now access the phone with the reset code?

No it wouldn't.  It is absurd to ask a company to do this.

Imagine if they do it, the next time any criminal case happens and the prosecution asks for access to that person's phone.  Apple would have set a precident and couldn't say no.  Not to mention they are completely violating the trust of any of their customers.  If Apple ends up giving in, I wont be owning another iPhone that is for sure.

No it wouldn't.  It is absurd to ask a company to do this.

Imagine if they do it, the next time any criminal case happens and the prosecution asks for access to that person's phone.  Apple would have set a precident and couldn't say no.  Not to mention they are completely violating the trust of any of their customers.  If Apple ends up giving in, I wont be owning another iPhone that is for sure.

picture this scenario: someone in florida commits a san berdoo-style attack. the FBI catches him and gets into his phone, and finds a whole treasure trove of communications and plans that he made with farook to carry out this attack in orlando. by cracking farook's phone, they could have prevented the attack in florida, arrested this terrorist, and saved the lives of 43 people. 

what then?

I'm not giving my opinion on whether they should or not. I'm not saying I believe they are morally obligated. I understand their position.

I'm just saying that if something happens that they could've assisted in preventing, it's gonna light an Apple shitstorm.

Apple shitstorms are no fun. I've gone through a whole role of TP in one sitting.

picture this scenario: someone in florida commits a san berdoo-style attack. the FBI catches him and gets into his phone, and finds a whole treasure trove of communications and plans that he made with farook to carry out this attack in orlando. by cracking farook's phone, they could have prevented the attack in florida, arrested this terrorist, and saved the lives of 43 people. 

what then?

They could have prevented it by making everyone in the country sit home and never leave the house. What level are you willing to go to to prevent hypotheticals?

the FBI should do it the old fashioned way.

We should not have to give up all of our freedoms so law enforcement can do their job.

im not saying apple should or shouldnt do what is being asked. But what job is law enforcement not doing here? Theyre trying to follow up on leads...ie, investigating.

Our fingerprints are probably as much "ours" as anything possibly could be. Same thing for DNA. What if fingerprints were a new technology, and someone was arguing the same thing apple is?

If anything, this is a case of the opposite. Law enforcement isnt able to do their job here.

Again, im not a tech guy. And i havent really followed this story, aside from on here. But could apple just break this phone and hand over the data, vs giving the feds the "key" to do it themselves?

Agree with this question. Why not just crack the phone and give the info to the feds?