• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

nate

I know Aybar was going to be a void that needed to be filled in 2017 but, for now, shortstop was settled for 2016 at least. We have nothing in LF or 3B right now, have serious needs at 2B, and used all our bullets on a position that wasn't a desperate need with no guarantees we sign Cespedes, Heyward, Freese, or any of the free agents. Don't get it...

I checked Newcomb's numbers.

He was at 6 BB/9 consistently.

Maybe he just ain't that ****in' good and we knew it.

Maybe....

but he's still a lefty who throws 95 mph, dominated in the minors and will be pitching for the braves by the allstar break.

Dude has everything going for him outside of the high BB ratio.

Edited by Poozy

Maybe....

but he's still a lefty who throws 95 mph, dominated in the minors and will be pitching for the braves by the allstar break.

Dude has everything going for him outside of the high BB ratio.

I think he will be good, especially if his command improves.  I think Simmons will be good too, he'll make all of our pitchers a little better.  I don't think Aybar was someone the Angels wanted to extend at the end of next year, and there is no other immediate solution in house to play SS after that.  Ellis is a possible good 4th or 5th starter, but we have a lot of those.  I wish all the players involved here the best.  And thanks Eric for the great hustle, and good times, the memories were great.

I'm confused. Has Eppler announced that he's done making moves? I must have missed his statement.

The Angels got rid of a guy that drove many here crazy for a guy that will most likely be astonishing us with his defense. Sure, we had to give up a pitcher we were high on but he is also a pitcher that is more than likely 2 years away from The Show. AS helps now and for at least another 5 years. He also rarely strikes out.

Edited by beatlesrule

I'm confused. Has Eppler announced that he's done making moves? I must have missed his statement.

The Angels got rid of a guy that drove many here crazy for a guy that will most likely be astonishing us with his defense. Sure, we had to give up a pitcher we were high on but he is also a pitcher that is more than likely 2 years away from The Show. AS helps now and for at least another 5 years. He also rarely strikes out.

Nah most likely be starting for the braves some time next season.

I don't care how good defensively Simmons is, you don't trade an already plus defensive SS (regardless of contract year) that is also your best contact hitter, and then ADD two of your top level prospects on top sprinkled with $3 million for good measure, for a friggin' 9-hole hitter!!

One of the worst trades in recent memory for this team.

I think contract year is very important. If Aybar was the same age as Simmons with a similar contract you don't do the trade - but he's not.

So based on many posts here, the Halos have a crap farm system outside of Newcomb and Ellis. That leads me to believe that there were no other players, other than those two, that other teams wanted. I bet this place would have been upset had Eppler not done anything at all. IMO the Angels got better with this trade.

David O'Brien Verified account ‏@DOBrienAJC

#Braves Coppolella said in 2 hrs since the trade was finalize, he's gotten 3 calls from teams wanting to trade for Aybar.

Braves gonna maximize on their return. Already netted what is now their #1 prospect in their system, and will now probably spin Aybar in another deal most likely.

They're loaded with prospects. Good timing with the new ballpark opening next year (2017) Edited by Adam

David O'Brien Verified account ‏@DOBrienAJC

#Braves Coppolella said in 2 hrs since the trade was finalize, he's gotten 3 calls from teams wanting to trade for Aybar.

Braves gonna maximize on their return. Already netted what is now their #1 prospect in their system, and will now probably spin Aybar in another deal most likely.

This is the stupidest part of the deal, IMO. Everybody knows the Braves will flip Aybar and they were still able to convince Billy they couldn't afford him and needed help.

I slept on it, and no, I'm still not a fan of the trade. I just don't think it will wreck us. I was envisioning a future rotation headed by something like Cueto, Richards and Newcomb. That's gone now, but I'm wondering how much better our pitching staff got yesterday with Simmons now in the fold.

If Eppler is serious about defense, you havd to figure Giavotella is gone, Cowart is the leading candidate at 3B, Bandy at C, and either Cespedes or Heyward in LF.

That would probably make the Angels the best defensive team in baseball and create enough run prevention to require less offense.

My wife and I were signing escrow papers for our first house last night.  Couldn't be more excited about the future and then I check my phone and see this trade...  It was weird how much it bummed me out.  Ruined the whole evening.  What an overpayment! I hope I end up being wrong but unless Simmons starts to hit like Jeter I think we lost this one for sure.

I think he will be good, especially if his command improves. I think Simmons will be good too, he'll make all of our pitchers a little better. I don't think Aybar was someone the Angels wanted to extend at the end of next year, and there is no other immediate solution in house to play SS after that. Ellis is a possible good 4th or 5th starter, but we have a lot of those. I wish all the players involved here the best. And thanks Eric for the great hustle, and good times, the memories were great.

You always have a knack for reasoning ... another excellent post.

unless i'm reading this wrong, this comment really doesn't apply. i think you're talking about our over the hill did it all on another team glory days players, which simmons is not even remotely a part of. this kids best years are ahead of him. that's the kind of players we should be acquiring. yes, it was at great cost. did it make the team better right now? i don't know, but i know he's the best player in the trade for the forseeable future.

I'm just happy that he's 26 years old and not 34, like our usual acquisitions. That's a pleasant change.