• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

Cueto probably thinks he can get more because 6/120 is a helluva deal to pass up. His shitty second half probably dropped him from a 150 million dollar contract to around the 125-130 million range so it's fair for him to explore the market a bit more.

Agreed. I think its more to do with Price and Greinke not signing yet as well. Them signing dictates Cueto's future more than anyone else's. I believe any of the teams serious about acquiring a SP and looking at Price will jump right over to Greinke if they miss out and vice versa. Cueto on the other hand, is the last resort for teams looking to acquire a true ace. Even with the questions he brings (shoulder issues, NL to AL transition, etc), he will get paid because of this.

He may be just waiting to see if a team is desperate enough to offer him more, especially once one or both of the big fish are gone.

Zack Greinke Market Beginning To Heat Up

according to Crasnick, who hears that the Excel Sports client is seeking $30MM annually.

Considering the historically excellent season he just delivered in 2015, however, it’s easy to envision Greinke’s camp seeking six or more years on a free-agent deal.

Way too long for the Angels to risk.

Greinke is very opening about wanting the most money possible. At least the guy is honest.

exactly. Really cant hate on the guy. People always say "inwish he would just say its about the money" when guys leave (like tex). Grienke is totally open about it. Hell, all those guys want the most money. No different than the owners. And we'd all be the same.

exactly. Really cant hate on the guy. People always say "inwish he would just say its about the money" when guys leave (like tex). Grienke is totally open about it. Hell, all those guys want the most money. No different than the owners. And we'd all be the same.

I would not be all about the money.  There are players like Weaver and Greg Maddux that took less to play where they wanted.  That's the kind of ballplayer I would be.  Weather and winning is extremely important to me so I wouldn't play somewhere that had crappy weather and a losing atmosphere for 5 or 10 million more.  Weaver left at least 40 million on the table and Maddux also left a lot.  There are other examples I'm sure but I respect the hell out of those guys.  Oh and Gil Meche retired rather than collect 10 million.

Regarding Cueto, I would imagine that his people feel if Zimmerman can get 22 million a year, so can he.  Also, Cueto doesn't cost a draft pick which I believe Zimmerman does.

I think Cueto ends up signing for no less than 6/132.

Cueto does have a draft pick with him.  The article kind of was confusing, but meant to say that the 13 pick was protected.

I would not be all about the money. There are players like Weaver and Greg Maddux that took less to play where they wanted. That's the kind of ballplayer I would be. Weather and winning is extremely important to me so I wouldn't play somewhere that had crappy weather and a losing atmosphere for 5 or 10 million more. Weaver left at least 40 million on the table and Maddux also left a lot. There are other examples I'm sure but I respect the hell out of those guys. Oh and Gil Meche retired rather than collect 10 million.

I think this is actually true of most players. And when a guy does make a money-driven move, it is often because the best financial offer is so much better than the next best offer (e.g. Cano).

Cueto was acquired in a mid-season trade; therefore, the Royals could not make a Qualifying Offer. The team that signs Cueto does not lose a draft pick. 

Yeah you are right.  The article I read showed he was offered a QO.  Weird, since it was ESPN.  Then again, not surprised they had it wrong.

Red Sux sign Chris Young (OF) to a multi year deal.  Hopefully this gets the talks with the other FA OFs moving.

Interestingly.  Some things about this signing.

Red Sox, Chris Young Agree To Two-Year Deal

His signing gives the Red Sox a fourth outfield option and also lessens the potential blow if the Sox are to indeed trade one of Bradley or Castillo, as some have speculated. (The notion of a Betts trade teeters on the brink of unfathomable at this point.) In the event of a trade, the Sox could then pursue free-agent (or trade) upgrades in the outfield or simply platoon Young with the left-handed-hiting Brock Holt, who has more than his fair share of outfield experience.

Boston’s 40-man roster is full at this juncture, so the Sox will have to make a move in order to accommodate Young if and when he passes his physical exam to make the deal official.

I would not be all about the money. There are players like Weaver and Greg Maddux that took less to play where they wanted. That's the kind of ballplayer I would be. Weather and winning is extremely important to me so I wouldn't play somewhere that had crappy weather and a losing atmosphere for 5 or 10 million more. Weaver left at least 40 million on the table and Maddux also left a lot. There are other examples I'm sure but I respect the hell out of those guys. Oh and Gil Meche retired rather than collect 10 million.

Good point. There are guys out there that take less, especially if its where they want to play. I think most are about the money though. And i cant really blame them (personally), any more than i can blame owners for not bringing old guys back, or nickle and diming as much as they can.