• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers to interview Darin Erstad for manager

People who don't think Erstad was that good need to look at the Angels franchise W-L record with him and their W-L without him.

What does that have to do with how good he was?

The team had a .515 winning percentage during his time on the roster. The team has a .554 winning percentage since he left. So.....

Edited by tdawg87

People who don't think Erstad was that good need to look at the Angels franchise W-L record with him and their W-L without him.

No one wants him in the HOF or his number retired. But he had one of the biggest hands in turning this franchise around,

In the 6 seasons (excluding the strike-shortened '94) before Erstad began playing we averaged 78.8 wins/yr

In the 6 seasons after, we averaged 77.7 wins/yr

Not sure we should be giving Erstad credit for "turning this franchise around"

Edited by Lou

He's one of my 3 favorite Angels of all time. I liked him for his hard nosed type of play and determination. I don't think you can have enough guys like that on a team.

As stated, he didn't put up HOF numbers but he had one of the greatest seasons in franchise history. He was responsible for many key hits and continuing rallies in the playoffs and in the World Series in 2002. Therefore I would argue that he did play a key role in "turning the franchise around", considering we had never won the title before.

As for how he'll be as a manager? Yet to be determined. Although I'd like to see him eventually in the organization in some coaching capacity.

I don't see Erstad getting the Dodgers job -- however -- the fact that his name is in the mix, articles being written about it and that he gets an interview -- is all good for Erstad and put him out the radar for future managerial openings with MLB teams.

I still think Roenecke is the odds on favorite for the Dodgers job and perhaps the most qualified of the applicants being interviewed.  Would be a good move for the Dogs, too.

Wallach, faithful organization man. may be odd man out .

Meanwhile Washington Nationals take Bid Black off the market -- excellent move by the Nationals, if any one can whip that Nats' starting rotation, full of raw potential guys, into shape pitching wise -- it's Bud Black........

Not sure why some folks are down on Erstad.........he was a very good, intense (to say the least) player while in a Halo's uni.

he had that one incredible year with 240 hits or whatever it was........

he played CF really well -- didn't he get a gold glove or two out there and then also played well at 1B when the OF spots got crowded.

He hit well and had a decent average and always hustled.

Now he's coaching at the college level -- his intense attitude and now college level experience may make being an MLB manager a tough transition  for him.

If Ersty really want to manage in the big leagues with his attitude , perhaps he should invest in a time machine and try to get a job in the 1960's/ 70's,

He really didn't "hit well". He had a mediocre 96 OPS+ with the Angels and even that is inflated by his one insane year that he never came close to replicating again.

He was a solid player who played as hard as anybody. His value was with his glove.

He really didn't "hit well". He had a mediocre 96 OPS+ with the Angels and even that is inflated by his one insane year that he never came close to replicating again.

He was a solid player who played as hard as anybody. His value was with his glove.

It seems like people are forgetting the years of being frustrated watching him hit. I don't get it.