• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Battle between Angels, StubHub picks up steam

This is a big battle and the Yankees and Angels are in the same situation. This article was very confusing as the way the title reads, it makes it sound like the Angels are the ones behind this action. It's actually stubhub. Buried 8 paragraphs down is the crux of the article.

On Tuesday, a California Assembly committee is scheduled to hear a bill sponsored by a StubHub advocacy group and designed, according to a news release, to "prohibit [the] Angels' restrictive ticketing practices."

The disagreement between StubHub and the Angels is simple and it centers around floor pricing. StubHub does not believe in floor pricing and thinks the market should set the lowest price a ticket can be sold out. The Angels on the other hand want to set floor pricing for each section.

If you live in the area I guess scalpers with hard tickets is a relatively safe option. For those of us that do not live close and/or rely on resales to pay for a part of out season tickets that we cannot use, this issue is important.  

Stubhub should win and if it requires the Legislature to pass a law so be it.

This is the way I see it. Once the team has sold the ticket they have received their revenue for it, and they are not entitled to squat if the ticket is resold, nor should they be able to dictate how it is resold or to whom. The Honda analogy in the story is appropriate. Would you buy a house, for instance, if as a condition of the sale the previous owners insisted on telling you who you must use to resell it and insisted on a cut of the resale price, and the resale was subject to their approval? Once you have sold something it is gone, and you have relinquished all rights to decide what happens to it.

This is the way I see it. Once the team has sold the ticket they have received their revenue for it, and they are not entitled to squat if the ticket is resold, nor should they be able to dictate how it is resold or to whom. The Honda analogy in the story is appropriate. Would you buy a house, for instance, if as a condition of the sale the previous owners insisted on telling you who you must use to resell it and insisted on a cut of the resale price, and the resale was subject to their approval? Once you have sold something it is gone, and you have relinquished all rights to decide what happens to it.

I agree!  the question is who has the strongest lobby in Sacramento.  If the teachers union is taking sides I am betting on them!

I read the article -- missing in all of this (and the coverage I've seen including this article) is -- what is the position of MLB and the Commissioner's Office.

this comes down to a battle between the big market teams (Angels, Yankees etc.) who are cutting their own deals (better deals) with Ticketmaster vs. MLB and all the other teams who have contracts with Stub Hub -- MLB is getting a cut from Stub Hub while the individual teams are getting the cut from Ticketmaster.

MLB needs to weigh in on this.

What should happen is that MLB should have the exclusive right to negotiate re-sale issues for all MLB teams but MLB teams (big market teams primarily) should get dollar for dollar credit as to their take (5% or whatever it is) as to their obligation to pay the MLB 'luxury' tax.

With the battle at the state legislative level -- at some point, MLB is going to have to weigh in and my two cents says they weigh in on the side of Stub-Hub -- in fact, they almost are contractually obligated to do so.........

I read the article -- missing in all of this (and the coverage I've seen including this article) is -- what is the position of MLB and the Commissioner's Office.

this comes down to a battle between the big market teams (Angels, Yankees etc.) who are cutting their own deals (better deals) with Ticketmaster vs. MLB and all the other teams who have contracts with Stub Hub -- MLB is getting a cut from Stub Hub while the individual teams are getting the cut from Ticketmaster.

MLB needs to weigh in on this.

What should happen is that MLB should have the exclusive right to negotiate re-sale issues for all MLB teams but MLB teams (big market teams primarily) should get dollar for dollar credit as to their take (5% or whatever it is) as to their obligation to pay the MLB 'luxury' tax.

With the battle at the state legislative level -- at some point, MLB is going to have to weigh in and my two cents says they weigh in on the side of Stub-Hub -- in fact, they almost are contractually obligated to do so.........

On that note, IMO state income taxes (Or taxes in Canada at a rate exceeding US federal income fax rate) collected should also be deducted from player salaries as it relates to the MLB luxury tax. California teams have to overpay by ~13% for their players to have the same take home pay as they would in Texas or Florida. Money collected disproportionately from CA players shuoldn't count against the team for luxury tax purposes.

It seems that what the Angels (and other clubs) are trying to tell us is that when we plunk down our money for a ticket, we don't own it. We are in effect leasing the ticket, and it remains their property. They reserve the right to change the conditions of that lease without notice or explanation, or to cancel it entirely with no compensation if we haven't done as they wanted. And God forbid I should buy tickets and then be unable to go to the game - like happened to me three years ago. I sold them on eBay and sent them electronically to the guy who bought them as soon as the auction ended and I received his payment. According to the Angels, they could have voided the tickets because I didn't give them a cut of the resale price.

I can't think of any other business that could operate like this and survive.

Paid $13(total) for 2 tickets to yesterday's game via StubHub.

Started out in section 422(in the shade).

Was in the 6th row behind the Angels dugout by the 8th.

Wouldn't have gone to this game otherwise.  Thanks again StubHub.  F yourselves Angels.

The clippers have a similar exchange program, but they don't restrict ticket owners from posting tickets prior to 48 hours before the start of their games. If the angels allowed ticket holders to post their tickets online before the 48 hours, i would be mildly okay with them

logo.jpg nav1.jpgnav1_cta.jpg nav2_cta.jpg nav3_cta.jpg     Protect Your Right To Resell Tickets In California   Dear Katherine,   We believe that when you buy a ticket to your favorite concert or sporting event, you should be able to give that ticket away as a gift or sell it to whomever you wish. But some ticket companies want to take that right away from fans like you. Fortunately there is legislation being considered in the California State Assembly to protect your rights as a fan – and we need your help to ensure this legislation is passed.   California Assembly Bill 329 protects your right to sell the tickets you own in the free market, or simply give them away to friends or family. We believe that this is a basic fan right. The growing trend of restrictive ticketing for events is threatening the rights of consumers like you across the U.S. Restricted tickets are tied to your credit card and photo ID ONLY, and often non-transferable. With passage of AB 329, California will preserve your rights to freely transfer event tickets by making it unlawful for a ticket issuer to control what you do with your ticket once you've purchased it.   Simply put, AB329, if passed, would ensure your ability to give away or sell your tickets to anyone you wish, in any marketplace you choose. Fans like you deserve this right.   Click here to send a letter to your lawmakers asking them to vote for this legislation   AB 329 will be heard Tuesday, April 23rd in the Assembly Committee on Arts, Entertainment, Sports, Tourism and Internet Media, so time is of the essence!   Thank you for making your voice heard.   Sincerely,

StubHub & The eBay Inc. Government Relations Team   Find Out Moreblue-arrow.gif

FYI.  In California, this is how the scalping law reads right now I believe.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/346.html

346. Any person who, without the written permission of the owner or
operator of the property on which an entertainment event is to be
held or is being held, sells a ticket of admission to the
entertainment event, which was obtained for the purpose of resale, at
any price which is in excess of the price that is printed or
endorsed upon the ticket, while on the grounds of or in the stadium,
arena, theater, or other place where an event for which admission
tickets are sold is to be held or is being held, is guilty of a
misdemeanor.

I feel like I do my service to the angels when I pay $25.50 for two modelo's at the game.

This is what I don't understand. If you're getting butts in the seats, you're getting money in other ways besides the tickets. Seems to me they should just let StubHub keep doing their thing and get people going to games. Plenty of money will come from parking, food, merchandise, etc. 

On that note, IMO state income taxes (Or taxes in Canada at a rate exceeding US federal income fax rate) collected should also be deducted from player salaries as it relates to the MLB luxury tax. California teams have to overpay by ~13% for their players to have the same take home pay as they would in Texas or Florida. Money collected disproportionately from CA players shuoldn't count against the team for luxury tax purposes.

Is it a fact that California teams have to overpay? California (and other income tax states) offer many things Texas and Florida teams can't that might influence a player's decision to sign, and for how much.