• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Bill Stoneman will become the Angels' interim GM.

Like I said before its cool. You are someone who would be a puppet or a lap dog, not everyone has a back bone. I happen to believe Stoneman, a very respected GM happens to have one.

I like and respect Stoneman, but he's also 71 and knows he'll be back on the links in 6 months. I'm just not convinced he'll go to war for the soul of the franchise.

you're confusing the alds with the alcs, game 7 is the decider not game 5.

angels won game 5 13-5, kennedy had 3 homers and 5 rbi, yes kennedy played a huge part of that game, but they won the damn game by 8 runs.

Yep yep, I screwed up the game count - I'm too old, I remember when the ALCS was five games.  My bad.

We will agree to disagree re AK.

I remember the first time Stoneman was hired and he was written off by some of the local hacks as a company yes man brought in to reduce the payroll.   The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I don't think anybody knew much about Stoneman (I surely didn't), except that his background was with a low payroll team, so he knew how to stretch a dollar, which seemingly was at least part of why Disney hired him....

Beyond that, hiring Scioscia was a coup (even if you're not a Scioscia fan, it will go down as a great hire)...dumping Mo Vaughn on Steve Phillips was an additional coup....and keeping a roster together (except for Edmonds), when others might have blown it up, paid dividends in 2002....

Some of you are giving kennedy the entire credit for winning the world series and that's insane.

Kennedy did hit 3 homeruns in the clinching game, but the angels would have probably won that game or the alcs anyway.  I dont recall kennedy have much more of an impact in the playoffs besides that game.  I could be wrong though.

No. He gets the entire credit for winning the ALCS, not the WS. Jeez.

I like and respect Stoneman, but he's also 71 and knows he'll be back on the links in 6 months. I'm just not convinced he'll go to war for the soul of the franchise.

But do you agree he won't make a ridiculous trade (something that people on here would attribute to Scioscia) a trade where he way overpays for a veteran to make a run at this year? My belief is he won't, he will be true to how he would be whether he is there forever or for 4 months. Scioscia would like a guy like Dee Gordon, he looks like the perfect Scioscia player. If the cost is Newcombe and Ellis could you ever see Stoneman saying yes even if Scioscia demanded it?

I don't think anybody knew much about Stoneman (I surely didn't), except that his background was with a low payroll team, so he knew how to stretch a dollar, which seemingly was at least part of why Disney hired him....

Beyond that, hiring Scioscia was a coup (even if you're not a Scioscia fan, it will go down as a great hire)...dumping Mo Vaughn on Steve Phillips was an additional coup....and keeping a roster together (except for Edmonds), when others might have blown it up, paid dividends in 2002....

Oh I agree people didn't know much about him but that didn't keep some of them from dismissing him before he had the chance to even do anything...  Do you recall the way they condemned him even harder when he chose not to sign Steve Traschel??  Steve effing Traschel....  A lot of the local beat writers were all over Traschel given he was a local kid (Troy HS, Long Beach State), and because the rotation at the time consisted of Ken Hill, Tim Belcher and nobody else....  When Stoneman argued the Angels could get buy with the guys they had in the system they took it as confirmation he was there simply to reduce the payroll.  

BTW, the Scioscia hiring was initially met with claims it was just a "cheap" hire and another in a long line of moves by the Angels hoping to ride the coattails of the team up the freeway.   

People have seriously forgotten how bad the situation was in Anaheim when Stoneman took over...   

Stoneman made some trades back then....but almost never at the deadline or past mid-season.

I remember feeling left out every year when all the trades were going down, and the Angels badly needed to fill a hole... Stoneman

just couldn't find a way to part with a player that anyone wanted.

It felt like everyone was trying to improve but the Halos.

With Scioscia back as defacto GM, he will be able to clear out his doghouse...and he always has one.

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna 6m6 minutes ago

Bill Stoneman, 71, on #Angels GM job: "Hopefully I have the energy and my mind still works well enough to do it."

Lol at this FO

Self depreciating comments was pretty much par for the course with Stoneman.  Even when people were trying to give him credit for crap, he preferred to pass it around.  

Why are people acting like the Angels just brought back Mike Port or Bavasi?  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Damage control. Bring in a familiar name that delivered in the past, get everyone nostalgic and happy about 2002 all over again.

It is a month until the trade deadline, whether or not we are buyers or sellers, it is one month away. We had no GM, the one we had resigned. So, with three months left in the season, only being 1/2 game out of a playoff spot, who should the Angels have brought in? You can call it damage control, and it might be, but it has nothing to do with being nostalgic. The average fan has no clue who Dipoto or Stoneman are.

But do you agree he won't make a ridiculous trade (something that people on here would attribute to Scioscia) a trade where he way overpays for a veteran to make a run at this year? My belief is he won't, he will be true to how he would be whether he is there forever or for 4 months. Scioscia would like a guy like Dee Gordon, he looks like the perfect Scioscia player. If the cost is Newcombe and Ellis could you ever see Stoneman saying yes even if Scioscia demanded it?

I don't believe he would rubber stamp anything. He's respected and will bring experience and knowledge to the table and I hope that everyone - Arte and Mike - will respect that. However, if Scioscia and Arte told him he had one thing to do and that was to get a premium LH bat, farm be damned, I'm not sure he digs in his heels on principle, simply because the farm won't ever be his problem.

Not agreeing with that other guy, Stoneman is no stooge. But his incentive to protect the long term health of the organization is diminished in this situation.

It's hypothetical. I'm not sure what Arte or Mike want for this roster, outside of lazy jokes about slappy utility guys.

It is a month until the trade deadline, whether or not we are buyers or sellers, it is one month away. We had no GM, the one we had resigned. So, with three months left in the season, only being 1/2 game out of a playoff spot, who should the Angels have brought in? You can call it damage control, and it might be, but it has nothing to do with being nostalgic. The average fan has no clue who Dipoto or Stoneman are.

Angelswin.com: We're all superfans!

Damage control. Bring in a familiar name that delivered in the past, get everyone nostalgic and happy about 2002 all over again.

It was a great season

And this org is still trying to live off of it.

Time to move on people it's been 13 yrs!

Angelswin.com: We're all superfans!

It is absolutely the truth. It's why I think us complaining about the announcers is dumb. They aren't talking to us, they are talking to the average or casual fan. To the average fan Hudler is awesome and knows his stuff. To us he is the blowhard that gets old really quickly, especially when on average we on this website watch 100-120 games a year on TV, there abouts.

I don't believe he would rubber stamp anything. He's respected and will bring experience and knowledge to the table and I hope that everyone - Arte and Mike - will respect that. However, if Scioscia and Arte told him he had one thing to do and that was to get a premium LH bat, farm be damned, I'm not sure he digs in his heels on principle, simply because the farm won't ever be his problem.

Not agreeing with that other guy, Stoneman is no stooge. But his incentive to protect the long term health of the organization is diminished in this situation.

It's hypothetical. I'm not sure what Arte or Mike want for this roster, outside of lazy jokes about slappy utility guys.

Who knows maybe, but he has never left the organization and according to someone I heard the other day, he still works daily and has for the most part sense he left. So he is as invested in this as anyone. He is actually the perfect pick considering everything else that has happened. He has knowledge of the team and its prospects and he has prior experience and is respected, so he won't be learning on the job.

Who knows maybe, but he has never left the organization and according to someone I heard the other day, he still works daily and has for the most part sense he left. So he is as invested in this as anyone. He is actually the perfect pick considering everything else that has happened. He has knowledge of the team and its prospects and he has prior experience and is respected, so he won't be learning on the job.

That's all true Straddling, and criticism pretty much rolls off his back.  It's the only logical move for them to make at this point.  The only other possibility on such short notice would have been Klentach, and he's too young and not experienced enough to be thrust into a position as controversial as this.  Plus Jerry hired him, and that would be awkward in itself.  There will be plenty of candidates for this position, notwithstanding Arte's commitment to Scioscia.  There are a lot of wanna be GM candidates in this world.

It's really a no-brainer for a 3-month job.  If it was a regular business it would be the same....someone resigns, let someone already in the orgranization with experience temporarily take it over He helps groom the permanent replacement who starts fresh with the new season.  Solves the current crisis and downplays the effect of what really went down (that we think we know but really don't) and disrupts the season as little as possible.

If trading for the only ALCS MVP in the franchise's 55 year history - a guy who hit three home runs in the franchise's only ALCS clinching game (despite Scioscia's repeated attempts to get him to keep bunting in that game) is your WORST trade - then you are doing all right.

I'd give up every single Jim Fregosi, Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, or whatever flotsam this franchise floats out as "legends" for the one guy who got us to the only World Series.

Some of you guys are just plain nuts.

im a huge AK fan, loved that guy. But hes not THE reason we got to the world series that year. He had a great game, but we also blew that one out, and plenty of other people were great that series.

I remember the first time Stoneman was hired and he was written off by some of the local hacks as a company yes man brought in to reduce the payroll.   The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It's pretty laughable to think that Stoneman would be a yes man. He wasn't before, and he certainly won't be one now. I think some people have very short memories.