• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Bill Stoneman will become the Angels' interim GM.

With an interim GM who is known for not making trades???  Yes, very good.

Can't see the forest for the trees can you?....   He's an interim GM, his biggest priority is to keep from screwing shit up for the guy who will be in charge -- his past success finding wildly successful GMs makes him precisely the sort of guy the Angels need right now.

BTW, focusing on his  lack of trades while dismissing everything he did do is again, stupid.   Stoneman took over an Angels team that was in significantly worse shape than the current team, had a much worse farm system, more frugal and meddlesome ownership, and yet within 5 years he had won a WS and possessed the best farm system in MLB according to Baseball America.   None of this really matters because he's not being put into place to be the GM, but rather keep the position warm and lend stability while they go about finding the right candidate, or getting the two guys they already have as assistant GM ready to take over.  You should be happy he isn't a guy looking to make a name for himself while he's acting GM but rather a guy that can see the bigger picture.

I understand being upset over the Dipoto -- but trying to paint Stoneman as some unqualified friend of the owner and MIke Scioscia lackey is just plain ignorant.

Edited by Inside Pitch

stop hating on stoneman.

if your first trade was trading edmonds for kent bottenfield and adam kennedy, you would never make a trade again either.

A trade forced on him by Disney during ST after Jim Edmonds injured himself falling out of a bed while performing sexual gymnastics with someone who wasn't his wife.   The Anaheim Angels were owned by the Walt Disney Company so a guy cheating on his wife with three young daughters wasn't part of their family first image....  "Jimmy" had to go.

But since you mentioned his trades..   Brian Cooper for Brad Fullmer was alright.  Kimera Bartee for Chone Figgins seemed to work out. Jose Guillen for Juan Rivera and Mighty Maicer was about as good a value as he could have received given the situation.  His dumpster dives for David Eckstein, Brenda Donnelley, and Goggles, worked out pretty well too.

Oh yeah -- he also signed Eddie Bane....

Edited by Inside Pitch

Damn, disnt know that about edmonds. Not that im judging him or anything, but makes a lot more sense now why they traded him.

Great point about some of his moves. I remember wveryone being frustrated because he never made trades, and theres a few that i wish he would have, but overall he was very solid here, and personally (though i wish dipoto stayed) this is one of the only positives i can see frm this mess.

Damn, disnt know that about edmonds. Not that im judging him or anything, but makes a lot more sense now why they traded him.

Great point about some of his moves. I remember wveryone being frustrated because he never made trades, and theres a few that i wish he would have, but overall he was very solid here, and personally (though i wish dipoto stayed) this is one of the only positives i can see frm this mess.

It's not something that's ever been printed anywhere, but it was something we knew on the AOL board and privately talked about.   SuperDave that used to post here got it directly from Hudler over a game of golf -- when he told the rest of us I hit up Preston, who first asked me how the hell I had heard and then confirmed it had in fact happened.  Tank, Brian, a few others from those days will likely all remember those conversations.

FTR, trading wasn't Bill Stoneman's strong point, the criticism is fair.  He got his Masters degree from OK in finance, he is extremely risk averse by nature.   So people concerned that no trade is coming are likely right.  Personally, I don't really care.  I'd much rather the team spend the next 3 months getting it's act together and putting an end to the chaos.  Let whoever is chosen to be the next GM have everything at his disposal when he takes over.

My hope is really pretty simple...  I'm crossing my fingers that the guy that told the Disney Co and Tony Tavares to STFU can somehow tell Arte he needs to let whoever he chooses to run this team have the same power and control over everything that he (Stoneman) had been given when he was hired...  Minus the power to act, Bill Stoneman would have been a failure.  I'd argue the same will be true of anyone who replaces Jerry Dipoto.    

Like Doc and others have said -- it shouldn't have come to this.

Edited by Inside Pitch

A trade forced on him by Disney during ST after Jim Edmonds injured himself falling out of a bed while performing sexual gymnastics with someone who wasn't his wife. The Anaheim Angels were owned by the Walt Disney Company so a guy cheating on his wife with three young daughters wasn't part of their family first image.... "Jimmy" had to go.

I dont recall this incident ever being reported or well known to the public, but you're saying disney didn't like what edmonds was doing even though no one knew about it? And you're also saying that disney, an organization that already owns the mighty ducks, is obtuse enough to believe an athlete never cheats on his wife?

This doesn't make sense.

And if the trade was forced, stoneman believed he got fair value when he said he got an "ace" for edmonds.

Edited by JarsOfClay

If trading for the only ALCS MVP in the franchise's 55 year history - a guy who hit three home runs in the franchise's only ALCS clinching game (despite Scioscia's repeated attempts to get him to keep bunting in that game) is your WORST trade - then you are doing all right.

I'd give up every single Jim Fregosi, Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, or whatever flotsam this franchise floats out as "legends" for the one guy who got us to the only World Series.

Some of you guys are just plain nuts.

If trading for the only ALCS MVP in the franchise's 55 year history - a guy who hit three home runs in the franchise's only ALCS clinching game (despite Scioscia's repeated attempts to get him to keep bunting in that game) is your WORST trade - then you are doing all right.

I'd give up every single Jim Fregosi, Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, or whatever flotsam this franchise floats out as "legends" for the one guy who got us to the only World Series.

Some of you guys are just plain nuts.

Some of you are giving kennedy the entire credit for winning the world series and that's insane.

Kennedy did hit 3 homeruns in the clinching game, but the angels would have probably won that game or the alcs anyway.  I dont recall kennedy have much more of an impact in the playoffs besides that game.  I could be wrong though.

LOL!! You've got a future in show business.

Are you kidding?! Stoneman will be Mike's lap dog.

Would you be somebody's lap dog? If you had previous success in something and someone asked you to do it again for the interim would you be a lap dog? Would you stoop to that level when you've already proven you are capable? Would you basically shit on your own good name and be a lap dog?

It's not something that's ever been printed anywhere, but it was something we knew on the AOL board and privately talked about.   SuperDave that posted used to post here got it directly from Hudler over a game of golf -- when he told the rest of us I hit up Preston, who first asked me how the hell I had heard and then confirmed it had in fact happened.  Tank, Brian, a few others from those days will likely all remember those conversations.

FTR, trading wasn't Bill Stoneman's strong point, the criticism is fair.  He got his Masters degree from OK in finance, he is extremely risk averse by nature.   So people concerned that no trade is coming are likely right.  Personally, I don't really care.  I'd much rather the team spend the next 3 months getting it's act together and putting an end to the chaos.  Let whoever is chosen to be the next GM have everything at his disposal when he takes over.

My hope is really pretty simple...  I'm crossing my fingers that the guy that told the Disney Co and Tony Tavares to STFU can somehow tell Arte he needs to let whoever he chooses to run this team have the same power and control over everything that he (Stoneman) had been given when he was hired...  Minus the power to act, Bill Stoneman would have been a failure.  I'd argue the same will be true of anyone who replaces Jerry Dipoto.    

Like Doc and others have said -- it shouldn't have come to this.

+ quadruple infinity

Some of you are giving kennedy the entire credit for winning the world series and that's insane.

I was very clear on what Kennedy accomplished.  He is the franchise's only ALCS MVP and hit three home runs in the clinching game, game 4.

Anaheim was down 2-0 when he got his first at-bat.  AK hit a home run.

Anaheim was tied 2-2 when he got his second at-bat.  AK hit a home run.

Anaheim was behind, 5-3 when AK got his third at-bat.  AK hit a three run homer Mike had him bunting, thank god he fouled it off).  The Angels sent 15 men to the plate that inning (AK had another single).

AK went 4-4 with three homers in that game 4.  If the Angels lose that game, they have to go back to the Metrodome for a deciding game 5.  I'm not sure what more one player in a nine-player side can do to clinch the franchise's only World Series appearance.

He's an interim GM, his biggest priority is to keep from screwing shit up for the guy who will be in charge 

The guy in charge is MS.  Any new GM who comes to this team will know that because of what happened to Jerry.  Stoneman's job is to do whatever Sosh tells him to do until they find a new GM in the offseason who will also do whatever Sosh wants him to do.  This week has proven that MS is in complete control of this team.

The guy in charge is MS. Any new GM who comes to this team will know that because of what happened to Jerry. Stoneman's job is to do whatever Sosh tells him to do until they find a new GM in the offseason who will also do whatever Sosh wants him to do. This week has proven that MS is in complete control of this team.

Polly wanna cracker

I was very clear on what Kennedy accomplished.  He is the franchise's only ALCS MVP and hit three home runs in the clinching game, game 4.

Anaheim was down 2-0 when he got his first at-bat.  AK hit a home run.

Anaheim was tied 2-2 when he got his second at-bat.  AK hit a home run.

Anaheim was behind, 5-3 when AK got his third at-bat.  AK hit a three run homer Mike had him bunting, thank god he fouled it off).  The Angels sent 15 men to the plate that inning (AK had another single).

AK went 4-4 with three homers in that game 4.  If the Angels lose that game, they have to go back to the Metrodome for a deciding game 5.  I'm not sure what more one player in a nine-player side can do to clinch the franchise's only World Series appearance.

you're confusing the alds with the alcs, game 7 is the decider not game 5.

angels won game 5 13-5, kennedy had 3 homers and 5 rbi, yes kennedy played a huge part of that game, but they won the damn game by 8 runs.

Polly wanna cracker

This is how I will answer you every time:

"This is Mike Scioscia’s team – today, like perhaps never before – and everything else is mostly just for looks.

So, when the Angels finally got around to announcing that former GM Bill Stoneman would be returning to the job and taking over for Dipoto, it generally was understood that it would’ve been more cost efficient and just as practical for them to have hired a puppet."

http://www.ocregiste...angels-one.html

you're confusing the alds with the alcs, game 7 is the decider not game 5.

angels won game 5 13-5, kennedy had 3 homers and 5 rbi, yes kennedy played a huge part of that game, but they won the damn game by 8 runs.

Regardless his three run homer gave them the lead in game five. No team wants to go on the road for games 6 and 7. Also back then the Metrodome had a crazy home field advantage, something about it being kinda dark and the roof blending in with the ball.

This is how I will answer you every time:

"This is Mike Scioscia’s team – today, like perhaps never before – and everything else is mostly just for looks.

So, when the Angels finally got around to announcing that former GM Bill Stoneman would be returning to the job and taking over for Dipoto, it generally was understood that it would’ve been more cost efficient and just as practical for them to have hired a puppet."

http://www.ocregiste...angels-one.html

Like I said before its cool. You are someone who would be a puppet or a lap dog, not everyone has a back bone. I happen to believe Stoneman, a very respected GM happens to have one.